Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: data for spreadsheet
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting data for spreadsheet Post 302691599 by figaro on Saturday 25th of August 2012 04:32:39 AM
Old 08-25-2012
At the expense of coming across as pedantic, isn't the data you are storing going to be used for something else, such as a report or a graph? The data structure example you provide would not seem the most efficient way to build a report or graph off of. I dont even think Excel would be the optimal solution for this.
I concur with DGPickett that your first choice should be to write a script in for example Perl that transforms your data that is better suited for a database and subsequently analyse your data from there. Then Excel is probably not going to be part of the solution.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

help in Spreadsheet::WriteExcelXML

I want to know that will Spreadsheet::WriteExcelXML coding will work in unix with perl and shell scripting. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: akash
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting HTML data into a spreadsheet

Hi, I have a perl script that prints some data in the form of a table (HTML table) Now, I want to be able to convert this data into a report on an Excel sheet. How can I do this? Regards, Garric (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: garric
4 Replies

3. AIX

Trying to send an excel spreadsheet.

I may have posted in the wrong section, either way I need some help. And I have to modify this part of the script, I'm not sure what to change the content-type to for this to work, or what else I would need to change here: # This script sends Email acoording to command line arguments. #... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to send an excel spreadsheet.

And I have to modify this part of the script, I'm not sure what to change the content-type to for this to work, or what else I would need to change here: # This script sends Email acoording to command line arguments. # $1 - file to be attached (full path with name) # $2 - file name as it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: NycUnxer
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Renaming files based on data in a spreadsheet

I have a spreadsheet in a folder that looks like this: Sector1...Sector2...Sector3...Sector4...Sector5...Sector6...Sector7 SomeID....Title.......SomeID...SomeID....SomeID...SomeID....SomeID OtherID...MyTitle....SomeID...SomeID....SomeID...SomeID....SomeID... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using Spreadsheet on Perl in UNIX

Very new to UNIX, so still getting used to all this. I made a Perl script where I want to create a spreadsheet file when extracting "data" from a text file. Now, this works perfectly fine on my Windows OS since I'm using the Win32 libraries with Microsoft Excel, but when I want to try it out on... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kooshi
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can't locate Spreadsheet/ParseExcel

Hi I can't seem to figure out why i keep getting this error. the Spreadsheet::PhaseExcel is installed on 3 servers and is working on only 2... the last one it is installed exactly the same way but I keep getting this error. This is whats odd. If i run this script as a normal user i get... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vpundit
2 Replies
Excel::Writer::XLSX::Package::XMLwriterSimple(3pm)	User Contributed Perl Documentation	Excel::Writer::XLSX::Package::XMLwriterSimple(3pm)

NAME
XMLwriterSimple - Light weight re-implementation of XML::Writer. This module is used internally by Excel::Writer::XLSX. DESCRIPTION
This module is used by Excel::Writer::XLSX for writing XML documents. It is a light weight re-implementation of XML::Writer. XMLwriterSimple is approximately twice as fast as XML::Writer. This speed is achieved at the expense of error and correctness checking. In addition not all of the XML::Writer methods are implemented. As such, XMLwriterSimple is not recommended for use outside of Excel::Writer::XLSX. If required XMLwriterSimple can be overridden and XML::Writer can be used in its place by setting an "_EXCEL_WRITER_XLSX_USE_XML_WRITER" environmental variable: export _EXCEL_WRITER_XLSX_USE_XML_WRITER=1 perl example.pl Or for one off programs: _EXCEL_WRITER_XLSX_USE_XML_WRITER=1 perl example.pl This technique is used for verifying the test suite with both XMLwriterSimple and XML::Writer: _EXCEL_WRITER_XLSX_USE_XML_WRITER=1 prove -l -r t SEE ALSO
XML::Writer. AUTHOR
John McNamara jmcnamara@cpan.org COPYRIGHT
X MM-MMXII, John McNamara. All Rights Reserved. This module is free software. It may be used, redistributed and/or modified under the same terms as Perl itself. LICENSE
Either the Perl Artistic Licence <http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html> or the GPL <http://www.opensource.org/licenses/gpl-license.php>. DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY
See the documentation for Excel::Writer::XLSX. perl v5.10.1 2012-04-02 Excel::Writer::XLSX::Package::XMLwriterSimple(3pm)