Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting file name shortening for multiple directories Post 302691557 by giseismology on Friday 24th of August 2012 08:37:06 PM
Old 08-24-2012
hi! thanks for the fast response.
the first example you gave wouldn't work because i need to shorten the file names in about 1500 different directories. hence i would like a program that can start at the first directory perform the code. move to the next directory, perform the code. move to the next, perform the code, and so on until it gets to the end of the list of directories.
in the second example you gave i'm not sure what "list_of_directories.txt" means or where i would find that. i'm very new to this whole bash thing so if you don't mind giving explanations that would be great!
as far as the code that i gave before (copied from an earlier thread), all it does is takes all of the files in a directory in which it is saved and shortens them to 30 characters and adds a 1 or 2 if some of the files have the same name after they've been shortened. so my end goal is to apply that code to files in many different directories so i don't have to go into each of the 1500 directories i have and run the code. thanks again for any help! hopefully that made sense?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

moving directories to new directories on multiple servers

Hi - I am new to unix scripts...I need to move several directories on multiple servers to new directories. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mackdaddy07
0 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copy single file to multiple directories

Please help - I need to copy a single file to multiple directories. Dir structure: Parent_Directoy Filename1 Child_Directory1 Child_Directory2 Child_Directory3 Child_Directory4 .... So I need to copy Filename1 to all of the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kthatch
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

read list of filenames from text file and remove these files in multiple directories

I have a large list of filenames from an Excel sheet, which I then translate into a simple text file. I'd like to use this list, which contains various file extensions , to archive these files and then remove them recursively through multiple directories and subdirectories. So far, it looks like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: fxvisions
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

check if multiple directories exist else create missing directories

Hi , I 'm trying to check if multiple directories exist on a server, if not create the missing ones and print " creating missing directory. how to write this in a simple script, I have made my code complex if ; then taskStatus="Schema extract directory exists, checking if SQL,Count and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramky79
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting multiple directories inside multiple directories

Hi, Very unfamiliar with unix/linux stuff. Our admin is on vacation so, need help very quickly. I have directories (eg 40001, 40002, etc) that each have one subdirectory (01). Each subdir 01 has multiple subdirs (001, 002, 003, etc). They are same in each dir. I need to keep the top and... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kkouraus1
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy file using unix in multiple directories

Hi All Genious, I want to copy a file name XYZ .In a directory /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 which contain multiple directories named not in pattern want to copy the XYZ in all of the directories available on path /HOME/dir/IXOS1/dir1 . Thanks in advance . (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mumakhij
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Reading multiple directories and file from them

Hello I'm making script for Dallas temperature sensors (DS1820). When a sensor is connected, it shows up as a directory in /sys/bus/w1/devices in format 10-xxxxxxx. Inside the directory is a file called w1_slave which holds the temperature in format t=xxxxx. Each sensor has unique... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Klipeti
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with create multiple directories under diff file systems

Hi, Need help ...I want to create multiple directories in different /file systems using for loop..eg.../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/ctl. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/data. ../ORCL_data01/oradata/orcl/redo. Script :- ========= for dir in `ls -d... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Linux6.5
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES

Hi, Can someone please help me with a Command to Search a FILE for a STRING in multiple DIRECTORIES. I am searching for the VIP in HTTPD.CONF in multiple httpd instances. I am using find ./ -name "httpd.conf" | xargs grep 10.22.0.141 cut -d: -f3- | cut -d ' ' -f4 | sort | uniq -c ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: crosairs
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge values from multiple directories into one file in awk or bash

I am trying to merge or combine all $1 values in validation.txt from multiple directories into one new file and output it here tab-delimited:/home/cmccabe/Desktop/20x/total/total.txt. Each $2 value and the header would then be a new field in total.txt. I am not sure how to go about this as cat is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
2 Replies
hardlink(1)						      General Commands Manual						       hardlink(1)

NAME
hardlink - Consolidate duplicate files via hardlinks SYNOPSIS
hardlink [-c] [-n] [-v] [-vv] [-h] directory1 [ directory2 ... ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents hardlink, a program which consolidates duplicate files in one or more directories using hardlinks. hardlink traverses one or more directories searching for duplicate files. When it finds duplicate files, it uses one of them as the mas- ter. It then removes all other duplicates and places a hardlink for each one pointing to the master file. This allows for conservation of disk space where multiple directories on a single filesystem contain many duplicate files. Since hard links can only span a single filesystem, hardlink is only useful when all directories specified are on the same filesystem. OPTIONS
-c Compare only the contents of the files being considered for consolidation. Disregards permission, ownership and other differ- ences. -f Force hardlinking across file systems. -n Do not perform the consolidation; only print what would be changed. -v Print summary after hardlinking. -vv Print every hardlinked file and bytes saved. Also print summary after hardlinking. -h Show help. AUTHOR
hardlink was written by Jakub Jelinek <jakub@redhat.com>. Man page written by Brian Long. Man page updated by Jindrich Novy <jnovy@redhat.com> BUGS
hardlink assumes that its target directory trees do not change from under it. If a directory tree does change, this may result in hardlink accessing files and/or directories outside of the intended directory tree. Thus, you must avoid running hardlink on potentially changing directory trees, and especially on directory trees under control of another user. hardlink(1)