Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: RAM always used 100 %
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat RAM always used 100 % Post 302691319 by thmnetwork on Friday 24th of August 2012 08:24:30 AM
Old 08-24-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
If the problem is "not enough memory", the solution is "more memory".
Can I get a reply to what I wrote? What I said in the post you're quoting is that until you know that you actually need more memory you need to do research, it's not exactly professional to say "Out of memory? Better install more memory, then." Because not all memory use is justified. I also explicitly said that it may come down to instaling more memory, but until you know that, you can't say that.

There could be a memory leak affecting them, there could be something misconfigured in their Oracle install, their specs for the this machine could have been way off, etc. For all we know if the OP slaps more physical memory in there it's just going to eat up that new memory and they're going to be back at square one only this time they have to explain to their boss why the fix they offered didn't actually fix the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corona688
It's certainly not the answer to every problem, but Oracle isn't small; if they say 4 gigs isn't enough I believe them.
It's not four gigs, I don't know where that number came from, their free output shows 11 gigs physical and 18 gigs swap. A swap that big probably also points to a technical deficit, BTW.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

getting available physical RAM

What command should I be using on Solaris 9 to get an accurate representation of the available physical RAM? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Command for RAM

folks, hows everyone? just upgraded my laptop running on solaris 10 by adding some extra RAM. I did notice some improvement (increase in speed) but could not be certain the new RAM has been accepted and all is well (was concerned a bit as i almost broke it while installing :-)) and didnt get any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alikun
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to know RAM size

Hi can anyone please help me, how to know RAM specification in unix? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: palash2k
4 Replies

4. Red Hat

red hat Linux 5.0 is detecting 3gb ram but physical ram is 16gb

Hi, On server 64bit Hw Arch , Linux 5.0(32bit) is installed it is showing only 3gb of ram though physical is 16gb can u give me idea why? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

5. Linux

RAM is not being utilized

Hi All, I installed CentOs on my PC (it has 1 GB of RAM). I see that only 200MB of RAM is being utilized on average but its very slow. Please let me know how do I improve the performance. Is there a way to set the RAM utilization/usage on CentOS. Thank you (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayfriend
2 Replies

6. Linux

Ram Usage

Hi one of our applications that runs on our Linux server leaks memory resulting in Ram that was used by the program not being released back to the operating system once a file has been processed. the result is over a very short period virtual all the memory has been used. an example currently ... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: treds
8 Replies

7. Solaris

expanding RAM

our sparc server has only 1Gb RAM. Since RAM is not very expensive anymore, it seems like a good idea to upgrade it. will it make server (and database on it) faster? I hope it would less 'abuse' hard drive.. (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
6 Replies

8. Red Hat

Regarding RAM replacement

Dear All, I have linux Servers where all are having at present 12 Gig RAM. At present my need is to increase the RAM for atleast another 12 G . ie 12G +12 G ===24 Gig RAM. But how does i can find out whether my server will support for 24 GiG RAM or is there any way of finding out how... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jegaraman
4 Replies

9. Solaris

RAM check

is there a way to thoroughly test RAM in Solaris10 (SPARC)? or is boot test good enough? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: orange47
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Want to update the RAM

hi, i m working on my ubuntu 12.10 i wanted to update my desktop's RAM. so kindly let me know how i get below details (thru commands in terminal) 1) what is the processor am using currently 2) what is the RAM am using currently 3) max how much i can upgrade my RAM (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anandpasunoori
4 Replies
vzcalc(8)							    Containers								 vzcalc(8)

NAME
vzcalc - calculate resource usage of a container SYNOPSIS
vzcalc [-v] CTID DESCRIPTION
This utility displays the share of the host system resources a particular container is using. If the container is running, the current usage is displayed. High utilization values (>100%) mean the system is overloaded (or the container has an invalid configuration). Current Shows the amount of the resources consumed by the container at a given time. Promised Shows the resources soft limit values "promised" for a given container. Max Shows the resources hard limit values "promised" for a given container. If the -v option is specified, the following additional information is also displayed: Low Mem The part of memory residing at lower addresses and directly accessed by the kernel (only makes sense for 32-bit architectures). Total RAM Total memory. Mem+Swap Amount of memory available for applications (both RAM and swap space). Alloc Mem Standard memory allocations made for applications in a container. This is a more "virtual" system resource than RAM or RAM and swap. Num. Proc Number of processes. OPTIONS
-v Display additional information. EXIT STATUS
Normally, the exit status is 0. On error, the exit status is 1. LICENSE
Copyright (C) 2000-2009, Parallels, Inc. Licensed under GNU GPL. OpenVZ 10 Dec 2009 vzcalc(8)