Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting help about create a big file and select right partition Post 302691181 by RudiC on Friday 24th of August 2012 03:17:15 AM
Old 08-24-2012
stat -f filesystem will give you some output like
Code:
stat -f /
  File: "/"
    ID: 1d07822b0456aa89 Namelen: 255     Type: ext2/ext3
Block size: 4096       Fundamental block size: 4096
Blocks: Total: 2491942    Free: 1349083    Available: 1224083
Inodes: Total: 625856     Free: 363409

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to view a big file(143M big)

1 . Thanks everyone who read the post first. 2 . I have a log file which size is 143M , I can not use vi open it .I can not use xedit open it too. How to view it ? If I want to view 200-300 ,how can I implement it 3 . Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chenhao_no1
3 Replies

2. Solaris

[help] create partition for /data

hi experts, i had installed and do mirroring with sun solaris 8 v890 sparc, i had forget to make a partition for directory /data, i have 6 hard drive with disk0 mirror disk1(for root,var,opt,etc) ,disk2 mirror disk3(for /data2) and disk4 mirror disk5(for /data3), how to make a new partition for... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bucci
2 Replies

3. Solaris

How to Create New Partition

Hi there Background: New to Solaris - installed VM Ware on a vista laptop, then installed Solaris 10 using ISO file. My aim, is to get to stage where I can install Oracle 11g Database. Question: See attached file. Simple question, how do I create a new partition say called "Oracle" 30G in... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ackers
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

create new partition

My Linux system's disk is partitioned as follows: center; 1 | 1 | 1 . DEVICE MOUNT POINT SIZE _ hda1 / 100Mb hda5 /usr2048Mb hda6 /home 10Mb hda7 /var512Mb hda8 swap 12Gb There is 4Gb of unpartitioned free space remaining on the disk (in the logical extended partition) The /usr partition... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: semaphore
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Select some lines from a txt file and create a new file with awk

Hi there, I have a text file with several colums separated by "|;#" I need to search the file extracting all columns starting with the value of "1" or "2" saving in a separate file just the first 7 columns of each row maching the criteria, with replacement of the saparators in the nearly created... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: capnino
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How big is too big a config.log file?

I have a 5000 line config.log file with several "maybe" errors. Any reccomendations on finding solvable problems? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NeedLotsofHelp
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to select correct partition and kernel argument for grub?

I use command-line mode of GRUB to load kernel, but I can not know how to chose the partition and kernel argument, as followed : please tell me how to do deal with , thanks! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cqlouis
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Create a raw partition

Hi, I had created a primary partition (/dev/sda3) and made ext3 file system on it. then mounted it on a directory and touch a file (x) into this partition. however, I want to remove this partition and recreate it as an empty partition. so I used 'd' in fdisk command and delete that partition.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Siavash sh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Select Columns from two CSV files in UNIX and create a third file based on comparision

Hi , I want to compare first 3 columns of File A and File B and create a new file File C which will have all rows from File B and will include rows that are present in File A and not in File B based on First 3 column comparison. Thanks in advance for your help. File A A,B,C,45,46... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ady_koolz
2 Replies

10. Red Hat

Shrink LVM partition & create new Linux Primary partition

Hello All, I have a Red Hat Linux 5.9 Server installed with one hard disk & 2 Partitions created on it as follows, /boot - Linux Partition & another is LVM - One VG & under that 5-6 Logical volumes(var,opt,home etc). Here my requirement is to take out 1GB of space from LVM ( Any logical... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gr8_usk
5 Replies
DISKTAB(5)							File Formats Manual							DISKTAB(5)

NAME
disktab - disk description file SYNOPSIS
#include <disktab.h> DESCRIPTION
Disktab is a simple date base which describes disk geometries and disk partition characteristics. The format is patterned after the term- cap(5) terminal data base. Entries in disktab consist of a number of `:' separated fields. The first entry for each disk gives the names which are known for the disk, separated by `|' characters. The last name given should be a long name fully identifying the disk. The following list indicates the normal values stored for each disk entry. Name Type Description ns num Number of sectors per track nt num Number of tracks per cylinder nc num Total number of cylinders on the disk b0 str Filename of block zero primary bootstrap for device ba num Block size for partition `a' (bytes) bd num Block size for partition `d' (bytes) be num Block size for partition `e' (bytes) bf num Block size for partition `f' (bytes) bg num Block size for partition `g' (bytes) bh num Block size for partition `h' (bytes) fa num Fragment size for partition `a' (bytes) fd num Fragment size for partition `d' (bytes) fe num Fragment size for partition `e' (bytes) ff num Fragment size for partition `f' (bytes) fg num Fragment size for partition `g' (bytes) fh num Fragment size for partition `h' (bytes) pa num Size of partition `a' in sectors pb num Size of partition `b' in sectors pc num Size of partition `c' in sectors pd num Size of partition `d' in sectors pe num Size of partition `e' in sectors pf num Size of partition `f' in sectors pg num Size of partition `g' in sectors ph num Size of partition `h' in sectors se num Sector size in bytes (default 512) sf bool supports bad144-style bad sector forwarding so bool partition offsets in sectors ty str Type of disk (e.g. removable, winchester) Disktab entries may be automatically generated with the diskpart program. FILES
/etc/disktab SEE ALSO
newfs(8), diskpart(8), getdiskbyname(3) BUGS
This file shouldn't exist, the information should be stored on each disk pack. 4.2 Berkeley Distribution May 17, 1986 DISKTAB(5)