Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers simple code to collapse rows in bash Post 302690877 by torchij on Thursday 23rd of August 2012 01:18:08 PM
Old 08-23-2012
simple code to collapse rows in bash

Hello to the experts! I have a file that I'd like to collapse based on a common ID column, separated by a character delimiter.
example input
Code:
a 1 6 word1 uniq1
b 2 7 WORD2 uniq2
b 2 7 WORD2 uniq3
b 2 7 WORD2 uniq4
c 3 8 word4 uniq5
d 4 9 word5 uniq6
e 5 1 word6 uniq7

desired output
Code:
a 1 6 word1 uniq1
b 2 7 WORD2 uniq2;uniq3;uniq4
c 3 8 word4 uniq5
d 4 9 word5 uniq6
e 5 1 word6 uniq7

Note that column 4 contains the ID used to collapse, and column 5 are the strings to actually collapse with the delimter ";"
Help is sincerely appreciated!
Many thanks.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

block editing, collapse, comment.

any way i can block edit a program ? i wrote a macro to do it in emacs so it works like : void foo ( int ... ) ; // collapsed. it moves the body to temperary buffer, but i can't rely on this :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_475
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to converting rows to columns, bash

I have in file these words: @fraza1 = rw @fraza2 = r @fraza3 = r @fraza4 = r @fraza5 = r @fraza1 = r @fraza6 = r @fraza7 = r @fraza2 = r @fraza8 = r @fraza9 = r ... I would like so that: ,rw,@fraza1 ,r,@fraza2 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: patrykxes
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - calculating simple correlation of rows

Is there any way to calculate a simple correlation of few selected rows with all the rows in input ? In the below example I selected Row01,02,03 and correlated with all the rows. I was trying to run in R. But the this big data matrix is too much to handle for R and eventually my system is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: quincyjones
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help making simple perl or bash script to create a simple matrix

Hello all! This is my first post and I'm very new to programming. I would like help creating a simple perl or bash script that I will be using in my work as a junior bioinformatician. Essentially, I would like to take a tab-delimted or .csv text with 3 columns and write them to a "3D" matrix: ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: torchij
16 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk: group rows by id and simple conversion

Hi all, I am a newbie to awk and trying to learn by doing examples. I got stuck at this relatively simple conversion. The start file looks like: 1 2 "t1" 1 3 "h1" 2 1 "h1" 2 2 "h2" and I want to convert it into 1 t1:2, h1:3; 2 h1:1, h2:2; Thanks. (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: eagle_fly
9 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script help - removing certain rows from .csv file

Hello Everyone, I am trying to find a way to take a .csv file with 7 columns and a ton of rows (over 600,000) and remove the entire row if the cell in forth column is blank. Just to give you a little background on why I am doing this (just in case there is an easier way), I am pulling... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MrTuxor
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Collapse linked values

please help, I want to group together all linked data pairs. If I have 10 pairs, each row showing col2 and col3 are linked. R1 1 2 R2 1 3 R3 2 4 R4 3 4 R5 5 6 R6 8 1 R7 6 7 R8 9 10 Then I am looking to make R1 1 2 3 4 8 R5 5 6 7 R8 9 10 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sheetalk
2 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)