Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Modifying file to 75 characters Post 302690765 by kristinu on Thursday 23rd of August 2012 11:00:54 AM
Old 08-23-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by alister
fmt

Regards,
Alister
Brilliant, that's what I'm looking for. Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying the final output file

Hey all, I am haivng n number of files all of them are of the same format but different details. i.e File1 is having the folloeing details: "Account1",123 "Account2",10 "Account3",12355 "Accountn",555 File2 is having the folloeing details: "Account1",1234 "Account2",100... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: charbel
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

can someone help me with modifying this file

Hi, I have a file which has data kind of like this. Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10a sendmail: m3DDKSx3006432: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKSoK006433: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10b sendmail: m3DDKcSo006442: usliss26.ca.com Apr 13 08:20:38 uslis10c... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eamani_sun
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying file from outside

hi , I have a javascript file like this: function fnValidateId(){ var array_id = new Array("444","7888","6633","555","146562","3333","33332") var tmp_id = document.form1.id.value; var num=0; while(1) { if(tmp_id ==... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sreejith_VK
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a .ksh file

Hi, i have created a simple .ksh file in the following manner cat <<EOF >mfile #!/bin/ksh echo "hello world" EOF I have 2 questions 1. now i would like to add a second line after the first echo command e.g. echo "this is line 2" how can i do that ? 2. I would then like... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: corbusier
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inserting text and modifying the file

I am in a dire need of doing this job , please help from shell script or perl script. It will be highly appreciated. Please have a look at the following INPUT file; The first 14 rows are not of interest but I want them to be included in the output file as they are. From the row 14... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: digipak
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

modifying file using script

Hi, I am new to shell programming, and want to know is it possible to change the contents of file using script? for example, if want to search 2 words and want to replace these words with 2 new words. Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Modifying a file using SED

Dear Members, I have a file which contains data as shown below: LOAD DATA APPEND INTO TABLE xxap.test ( RAW_DATA char(3000) "replace(:raw_data,'*','|')", LOADING_SEQUENCE "xx_gl_bank_fee_s1.nextval", CREATION_DATE SYSDATE, LAST_UPDATE_DATE SYSDATE, ATTRIBUTE1 "DATE_STAMP", ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeep_1105
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying a file?

Hi, I want to convert a file that looks like this >joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX >man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS to something that looks like this (where the spacing is tab seperated) joe XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX man BBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBSSSSSSSS I am able to do the reverse but the other... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
3 Replies

9. Infrastructure Monitoring

modifying existing file using C

Hi all, I have a snmpd.conf file as below. in "SECTION: Trap Destinations" line I want to add "trap2dest <IP>:162 <com_str>" on a new line. For this I wrote following code #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> int main(void) { FILE *fp; ssize_t read_char_count = 0; ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zing_foru
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying listener file

Hi Pros, I'm writing a script to modify listener.ora file on multiple hosts. When I ssh to any server from a central server in our environment we are presented with menu to select the instance. I need to set my environment to listener which could be different number on every instance. How can I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: humble_learner
5 Replies
fold(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   fold(1)

NAME
fold - fold long lines for finite width output device SYNOPSIS
width] [file ...] Obsolete form: width] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The command is a filter that folds the contents of the specified files, breaking the lines to have a maximum of width column positions (or bytes, if the option is specified). The command breaks lines by inserting a newline character so that each output line is the maximum width possible that does not exceed the specified number of column positions (or bytes). A line cannot be broken in the middle of a char- acter. If no files are specified or if a file name of is specified, the standard input is used. The command is often used to send text files to line printers that truncate, rather than fold, lines wider than the printer is able to print. If the backspace, tab, or carriage-return characters are encountered in the input, and the option is not specified, they are treated spe- cially as follows: Backspace The current count of line width is decremented by one, although the count never becomes negative. Thus, the char- acter sequence character-backspace-character counts as using one column position, assuming both characters each occupy a single column position. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any backspace character. Tab Each tab character encountered advances the column position pointer to the next tab stop. Tab stops are set 8 col- umns apart at column positions 1, 9, 17, 25, 33, etc. Carriage-return The current count of line width is set to zero. does not insert a newline character immediately before or after any carriage-return character. Note that may affect any underlining that is present. Options The command recognizes the following options and command-line arguments: Count width in bytes rather than in column positions. Break the line on the last blank character found before the specified number of column positions (or bytes). If none are found, break the line at the specified line length. Specify the maximum line length, in column positions (or bytes if is specified). The default value is 80. width should be a multiple of 8 if tabs are present, or the tabs should be expanded using before processing by (see expand(1)). The option is obsolescent and may be removed in a future release. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the interpretation of text as single- and/or multi-byte characters. determines the language in which messages are displayed. If or is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty variable. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single- and multi-byte character code sets are supported. SEE ALSO
expand(1). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
fold(1)