Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: data integrity check needed
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting data integrity check needed Post 302690479 by mirni on Thursday 23rd of August 2012 05:21:22 AM
Old 08-23-2012
You can check hash e.g. sha1sum. I would tar the whole directory and calculate sha1sum on the fly:

Code:
tar czf - /path/to/dir | sha1sum

Then do the same on the other side and verify that the checksums are the same.

On a second thought, this may give different checksums if there are different version of tar or gzip on the different machines...

Perhaps better to store checksums in a file and check them from there.

Code:
find /path/to/dir -type f -exec sha1sum {} \;  > sums.tmp

Copy the file over to the other machine:
Code:
scp sums.tmp <user>@<remoteServer>:~

And verify against this file on the remote machine:
Code:
sha1sum -c ~/sums.tmp

Last edited by mirni; 08-23-2012 at 06:30 AM..
This User Gave Thanks to mirni For This Post:

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

File Integrity Check

Hi, I have two NFS shares mounted on a solaris system. share1 and share2 , both are from different NFS servers share1 has 500GB of data share 2 is empty. I am copying all the data from share1 to share2. It is like migrating the data from one NFS share to another. Is there... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: athreyavc
8 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help Needed in arrangind data!

Dear All, Please view the below mentioned text and help me in arranging data in format like DATE TIME Value (2nd-Feild) e.g. 20-JUN-209 00:25:38 69.00 ........... ........... ........... ........... and so on till the file end. 20-JUN-2009 00:25:38, 195.20, ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jojo123
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed with Sort and uniq data

Hi All, After Sorting directories and files i have got following output as below, now i only want the strings common in them, so the actual output should be as below in the bottom. How do i do that? Thanks -adsi File to be modified:- Common Components for ----> AA... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to stick on variable data to an output

Hi all, I need help now to stick the value inside $RHAT_PRODUCT and display that in every line in the output. What changes in the code can i do. Please suggest Thanks Adsi #!/bin/sh ECHO=/bin/echo FIND=/bin/find AWK=/bin/awk LS=/bin/ls GREP=/bin/grep ... (1 Reply)
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed to sort data

Hello All, Today i have been asking lots of question, hope to become good in scripting soon with all the wonderful advices i get. The question is i want to sort data a get uniq string from it. The code i am using to generate the output is:- check_sun() { for i in $SUN_PLATFORM do $ECHO... (0 Replies)
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX idea needed to check the logs updated date and time

Hi with the help of Gabriel canepa, i have just edited filename only in his code. The help which i got and he helped is 1) I have around 22 logs and each log should be updated in the last 24 hours from the current timestamp. 2) It should check for ERROR message (not error,Error) in the log and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Integrity check for the backup

Hello I thought of different ways of integrity check for the backup and look for the fastest approach to start programming. in all these approaches randomness is used. I would appreciate if someone give more suggestions or correct me. 1- Machine Name Check We can check if the machines were... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: frhling
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

What's the best way to check file permissions before moving files if needed?

Hello, I would like to know if it's a good practice to check the file permissions of the contents of a directory before moving them. For example: mv -- "$directory"/* "$directory"/.* "$directory"/..?* "$destination"The variables $directory and $destination contain the path to an existing... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Cacializ
6 Replies
SHASUM(1)								FSF								 SHASUM(1)

NAME
shasum - compute and check SHA1 message digest SYNOPSIS
sha1sum [OPTION] [FILE]... sha1sum [OPTION] --check [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Print or check SHA1 (160-bit) checksums. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. -b, --binary read files in binary mode (default on DOS/Windows) -c, --check check SHA1 sums against given list -t, --text read files in text mode (default) The following two options are useful only when verifying checksums: --status don't output anything, status code shows success -w, --warn warn about improperly formated checksum lines --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The sums are computed as described in FIPS-180-1. When checking, the input should be a former output of this program. The default mode is to print a line with checksum, a character indicating type (`*' for binary, ` ' for text), and name for each FILE. AUTHOR
Written by Ulrich Drepper and Scott Miller. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for shasum is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and shasum programs are properly installed at your site, the command info shasum should give you access to the complete manual. shasum (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 SHASUM(1)