Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: High Ping Timeout
Operating Systems AIX High Ping Timeout Post 302689745 by zaxxon on Wednesday 22nd of August 2012 03:16:48 AM
Old 08-22-2012
No, that is of course not normal. Try to narrow it down, checking if your network interfaces on the AIX server have any problems using commands like netstat -i, netstat -v, entstat or traceroute etc.
Also check if other servers in that network have similar problems.
If it is only the AIX server, check if it has maybe any performance problems CPU, Memory or I/O wise using vmstat to get a first glance.

Try to see if there is some kind of pattern, maybe related to workload, starting jobs, etc.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Sun: High kernel usage & very high load averages

Hi, I am seeing very high kernel usage and very high load averages on my system (Although we are not loading much data to our database). Here is the output of top...does anyone know what i should be looking at? Thanks, Lorraine last pid: 13144; load averages: 22.32, 19.81, 16.78 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: lorrainenineill
4 Replies

2. Solaris

solaris ping timeout

Hi, I have two solaris 9 servers on the same switch, primary int0: 10.35.65.51 int1: 10.35.65.53 warm standby int0: 10.35.65.52 int1: 10.35.65.54 Primary server communicates with the other for db replication on int0 interfaces. But meanwhile we are using web interface running... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: magnimious
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping and telnet timeout

Hello, I need help, I have the following which save in the result file ping and telnet:port test. Basically the script works but I should implement a check on ping and telnet command so that ping has 5 seconds threshold and telnet (more important) 10 seconds. Over that threshold ping and... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: marmellata
0 Replies

4. Red Hat

apache high cpu load on high traffic

i have a Intel Quad Core Xeon X3440 (4 x 2.53GHz, 8MB Cache, Hyper Threaded) with 16gig and 1tb harddrive with a 1gb port and my apache is causing my cpu to go up to 100% on all four cores heres my http.config <IfModule prefork.c> StartServers 10 MinSpareServers 10 MaxSpareServers 15... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: awww
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Animation Ping on Solaris Like Cisco Ping

Hi, I develop simple animation ping script on Solaris Platform. It is like Cisco ping. Examples and source code are below. bash-3.00$ gokcell 152.155.180.8 30 Sending 30 Ping Packets to 152.155.180.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. % 93.33 success... % 6.66 packet loss...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gokcell
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

what would a script include to find CPU's %system time high and user time high?

Hi , I am trying to :wall: my head while scripting ..I am really new to this stuff , never did it before :( . how to find cpu's system high time and user time high in a script?? thanks , help would be appreciated ! :) (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushwey
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

ping with timeout bash

Hi experts: I want to do below thing with bash if ping 192.168.0.1 sucussful then do somthing without delay, if ping failed within 20s, then kill ping and exit not sure this can use "alarm" to do this. any code will be welcome Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yanglei_fage
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get reason for ping failure using perls Net::Ping->new("icmp");?

Hi I am using perl to ping a list of nodes - with script below : $p = Net::Ping->new("icmp"); if ($p->ping($host,1)){ print "$host is alive.\n"; } else { print "$host is unreacheable.\n"; } $p->close();... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tavanagh
4 Replies

9. AIX

Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout

Able to ping the server but not able to login through putty it says network timeout Please assist (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
3 Replies

10. Programming

Ping test sends mail when ping fails

help with bash script! im am working on this script to make sure my server will stay online, so i made this script.. HOSTS="192.168.138.155" COUNT=4 pingtest(){ for myhost in "$@" do ping -c "$COUNT" "$myhost" &&return 1 done return 0 } if pingtest $HOSTS #100% failed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mort3924
4 Replies
inet_type(4)                                                       File Formats                                                       inet_type(4)

NAME
inet_type - default Internet protocol type SYNOPSIS
/etc/default/inet_type DESCRIPTION
The inet_type file defines the default IP protocol to use. Currently this file is only used by the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. The inet_type file can contain a number of <variable>=<value> lines. Currently, the only variable defined is DEFAULT_IP, which can be assigned a value of IP_VERSION4, IP_VERSION6, or BOTH. The output displayed by the ifconfig and netstat commands can be controlled by the value of DEFAULT_IP set in inet_type file. By default, both commands display the IPv4 and IPv6 information available on the system. The user can choose to suppress display of IPv6 information by setting the value of DEFAULT_IP. The following shows the possible values for DEFAULT_IP and the resulting ifconfig and netstat output that will be displayed: IP_VERSION4 Displays only IPv4 related information. The output displayed is backward compatible with older versions of the ifconfig(1M) and netstat(1M) commands. IP_VERSION6 Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. BOTH Displays both IPv4 and IPv6 related information for ifconfig and netstat. The command-line options to the ifconfig and netstat commands override the effect of DEFAULT_IP as set in the inet_type file. For example, even if the value of DEFAULT_IP is IP_VERSION4, the command example% ifconfig -a6 will display all IPv6 interfaces. EXAMPLES
Example 1: Suppressing IPv6 Related Output This is what the inet_type file must contain if you want to suppress IPv6 related output: DEFAULT_IP=IP_VERSION4 SEE ALSO
ifconfig(1M), netstat(1M) SunOS 5.10 16 Jun 1999 inet_type(4)