Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk - getting uniq count on multiple col Post 302689375 by binlib on Tuesday 21st of August 2012 08:18:01 AM
Old 08-21-2012
Code:
awk 'BEGIN{SUBSEP=OFS=FS="|"}
{++a[$3,$4,$2]}
END{for(i in a)print "FREQ",i,a[i]}'

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

compare two col from 2 files, and output uniq from file 1

Hi, I can't find how to achive such thing, please help. I have try with uniq and comm but those command can't compare columns just whole lines, I think awk will be the best but awk is magic for me as of now. file a a1~a2~a3~a4~a6~a7~a8 file b b1~b2~b3~b4~b6~b7~b8 output 1: compare... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pp56825
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Print line based on highest value of col (B) and repetion of values in col (A)

Hello everyone, I am writing a script to process data from the ATP world tour. I have a file which contains: t=540 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 t=540 y=2011 r=4 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=1 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=2 p=N409 t=520 y=2011 r=3 p=N409 The... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: imahmoud
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniq sorting and count

Hi Unix gurus, I have a requirement where I need to find the file count based on unique file names. OPEN_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.xls OPEN_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.xls OPEN_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.xls CLOSE_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.xls CLOSE_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.xls OPEN_INV_MMDDYYYY_HHMM.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Multiple pattern matching using awk and getting count of lines

Hi , I have a file which has multiple rows of data, i want to match the pattern for two columns and if both conditions satisfied i have to add the counter by 1 and finally print the count value. How to proceed... I tried in this way... awk -F, 'BEGIN {cnt = 0} {if $6 == "VLY278" &&... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk to Count Multiple patterns in a huge file

Hi, I have a file that is 430K lines long. It has records like below |site1|MAP |site2|MAP |site1|MODAL |site2|MAP |site2|MODAL |site2|LINK |site1|LINK My task is to count the number of time MAP, MODAL, LINK occurs for a single site and write new records like below to a new file ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reach.sree@gmai
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Printing from col x to end of line, except last col

Hello, I have some tab delimited data and I need to move the last col. I could hard code it, awk '{ print $1,$NF,$2,$3,$4,etc }' infile > outfile but it would be nice to know the syntax to print a range cols. I know in cut you can do, cut -f 1,4-8,11- to print fields 1,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: LMHmedchem
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Modifying col values based on another col

Hi, Please help with this. I have several excel files (with and .xlsx format) with 10-15 columns each. They all have the same type of data but the columns are not ordered in the same way. Here is a 3 column example. What I want to do add the alphabet from column 2 to column 3, provided... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie83
9 Replies

8. Programming

awk to count occurrence of strings and loop for multiple columns

Hi all, If i would like to process a file input as below: col1 col2 col3 ...col100 1 A C E A ... 3 D E G A 5 T T A A 6 D C A G how can i perform a for loop to count the occurences of letters in each column? (just like uniq -c ) in every column. on top of that, i would also like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: iling14
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Uniq count second column

Hello How can I get a number of occurrence count for this file; ERR315389.1000156 CTTGAAGAAGAATTGAAAACTGTGACGAACAACTTGAAGTCACTGGAGGCTCAGGCTGAGAAGTACTCGCAGAAGGAAGACAGATATGAGGAAGAG ERR315389.1000281 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Wan Fahmi
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk joining multiple lines based on field count

Hi Folks, I have a file with fields as follows which has last field in multiple lines. I would like to combine a line which has three fields with single field line for as shown in expected output. Please help. INPUT hname01 windows appnamec1eda_p1, ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: shunya
5 Replies
UNIQ(1) 						    BSD General Commands Manual 						   UNIQ(1)

NAME
uniq -- report or filter out repeated lines in a file SYNOPSIS
uniq [-c | -d | -u] [-i] [-f num] [-s chars] [input_file [output_file]] DESCRIPTION
The uniq utility reads the specified input_file comparing adjacent lines, and writes a copy of each unique input line to the output_file. If input_file is a single dash ('-') or absent, the standard input is read. If output_file is absent, standard output is used for output. The second and succeeding copies of identical adjacent input lines are not written. Repeated lines in the input will not be detected if they are not adjacent, so it may be necessary to sort the files first. The following options are available: -c Precede each output line with the count of the number of times the line occurred in the input, followed by a single space. -d Only output lines that are repeated in the input. -f num Ignore the first num fields in each input line when doing comparisons. A field is a string of non-blank characters separated from adjacent fields by blanks. Field numbers are one based, i.e. the first field is field one. -s chars Ignore the first chars characters in each input line when doing comparisons. If specified in conjunction with the -f option, the first chars characters after the first num fields will be ignored. Character numbers are one based, i.e. the first character is character one. -u Only output lines that are not repeated in the input. -i Case insensitive comparison of lines. DIAGNOSTICS
The uniq utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. COMPATIBILITY
The historic +number and -number options have been deprecated but are still supported in this implementation. SEE ALSO
sort(1) STANDARDS
The uniq utility is expected to be IEEE Std 1003.2 (``POSIX.2'') compatible. HISTORY
A uniq command appeared in Version 3 AT&T UNIX. BSD
June 6, 1993 BSD