Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me please: UNIX command to extract substring not squeeze spaces Post 302688887 by Corona688 on Monday 20th of August 2012 11:38:39 AM
Old 08-20-2012
What's your shell? In bash or new enough ksh, you can use substring operators:

Code:
echo "${STRING:BEGIN:LENGTH}"

where begin and length are numbers...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

command/script to extract a substring from a string

I have a long string "<ID type="Oid">{}</ID>" I need to extract "GigabitEthernet0/1" from the above string. How can it be done? :) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: girisha
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to extract a substring froma file

hi all, I'm really newbie on this and I need some help. how is the best way to extract a strig or substring from a each line in a file. e.g. I want to print only this ERROR=JUD+the followed numbers from one line like this one, considering the numbers change related to different errors ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: morena
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed extract substring on (OS X)

On OS 10.4.11 I have filenames like: 670711 SA T2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670520 AM T1 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670716 - 2 SA T4 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670713 SA T3 v1-1_DS_EF.doc 670421 PA DYP1 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670425 PA DYP2 v1-1_DS_EF.doc CT_670107 RA T3 v1-2_DS_EF.doc CT_670521 AM T2 v1-2_DS_EF.doc... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mlommel
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need Help... to extract the substring

> tnsping $TWO_TASK | grep HOST Attempting to contact (DESCRIPTION = (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = 10.12.10.212)(PORT = 1540)) (CONNECT_DATA = (SERVER = DEDICATED) (SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15))) I want to extract like this HOST = 10.12.10.212 PORT = 1540 SERVICE_NAME = OMTST15 I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashok.83
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring.

I have a shell script that uses wget to grab a bunch of html from a url. URL_DATA=`wget -qO - "$URL1"` I now have a string $URL_DATA that I need to pull a substring out of..say I had the following in my string <p><a href="/scooby/929011567.html">Dog pictures check them out! -</a><font... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: shellpower
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Extract substring from a string

i have srtring i.e. "NAME,CLASS,AGE" (length of string is not constant) and from this string i've extract each word delimited by "," (comma). INPUT: "NAME,CLASS,AGE" OUTPUT: NAME CLASS AGE how can i do that? i have tried some string manipulation function like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jadoo_c2
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract a substring from a string

Hi, I have an input string say for example: ABC,DEF,IJK,LMN,...,XYZ The above string is comma delimited. Now I have to extract the last part after the comma i.e. XYZ. :b: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bghosh
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract substring in a file

Hello, A question please. A have a file that contains a string. Ex: AAAABBCCCCCDDEEEEEEEEEEFF I'd want to recover 2 substrings, 'BB' and 'FF' and then leave them in a new file. Could anoyone help me please? Thanks in advance (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nolo41
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract a substring from a file

Hello, A question please. A have a file that contains a string. Ex: AAAABBCCCCCDDEEEEEEEEEEFF I'd want to recover 2 substrings, 'BB' and 'FF' and then leave them in a new file. From position 5, 2 caracters (ex:"BB") and from position 25, 2 caracters (ex:"FF") in a file. Could anoyone help me... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nolo41
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script Shell Extract substring

Hi all, Please, i'd like to extract string just before '.fr'. Here is some lines of my file: g-82.text.text1.fr.worker1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz.fr.worker2 i'd like to extract this text: g-82.text.text1 g-xx.yyyyyy.zzzz Please, which command i have to use in my script shell ? ... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: chercheur111
16 Replies
EXPR(1) 							   User Commands							   EXPR(1)

NAME
expr - evaluate expressions SYNOPSIS
expr EXPRESSION expr OPTION DESCRIPTION
--help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Print the value of EXPRESSION to standard output. A blank line below separates increasing precedence groups. EXPRESSION may be: ARG1 | ARG2 ARG1 if it is neither null nor 0, otherwise ARG2 ARG1 & ARG2 ARG1 if neither argument is null or 0, otherwise 0 ARG1 < ARG2 ARG1 is less than ARG2 ARG1 <= ARG2 ARG1 is less than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 = ARG2 ARG1 is equal to ARG2 ARG1 != ARG2 ARG1 is unequal to ARG2 ARG1 >= ARG2 ARG1 is greater than or equal to ARG2 ARG1 > ARG2 ARG1 is greater than ARG2 ARG1 + ARG2 arithmetic sum of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 - ARG2 arithmetic difference of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 * ARG2 arithmetic product of ARG1 and ARG2 ARG1 / ARG2 arithmetic quotient of ARG1 divided by ARG2 ARG1 % ARG2 arithmetic remainder of ARG1 divided by ARG2 STRING : REGEXP anchored pattern match of REGEXP in STRING match STRING REGEXP same as STRING : REGEXP substr STRING POS LENGTH substring of STRING, POS counted from 1 index STRING CHARS index in STRING where any CHARS is found, or 0 length STRING length of STRING + TOKEN interpret TOKEN as a string, even if it is a keyword like 'match' or an operator like '/' ( EXPRESSION ) value of EXPRESSION Beware that many operators need to be escaped or quoted for shells. Comparisons are arithmetic if both ARGs are numbers, else lexicograph- ical. Pattern matches return the string matched between ( and ) or null; if ( and ) are not used, they return the number of characters matched or 0. Exit status is 0 if EXPRESSION is neither null nor 0, 1 if EXPRESSION is null or 0, 2 if EXPRESSION is syntactically invalid, and 3 if an error occurred. AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker, James Youngman, and Paul Eggert. REPORTING BUGS
GNU coreutils online help: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> Report expr translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2017 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
Full documentation at: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/expr> or available locally via: info '(coreutils) expr invocation' GNU coreutils 8.28 January 2018 EXPR(1)