Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File timestamping issue
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File timestamping issue Post 302688875 by alister on Monday 20th of August 2012 11:33:48 AM
Old 08-20-2012
If your problem is that the two date commands return slightly different results, then the most obvious solution is to only run it once and store the value.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performance issue in UNIX while generating .dat file from large text file

Hello Gurus, We are facing some performance issue in UNIX. If someone had faced such kind of issue in past please provide your suggestions on this . Problem Definition: /Few of load processes of our Finance Application are facing issue in UNIX when they uses a shell script having below... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: KRAMA
19 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with ^B characters in the file

Hello- I have a csv file with japan email ids as the last column(pipe delimited file). One of the email ids has some special characters which are not displayed on my UNIX box, however when ftped to local(Windows machine) I can see the email id terminated with a square box instead of pipe. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasupuleti81
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with a file that contains CRLF

I have a nawk that reads in a log file and outputs a file that matches my search. IFS=" " while read record do `echo $record | nawk 'BEGIN { FS=" " } { type_record=substr($0, 1, 1); if (... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

UNIX File handling -Issue in reading a file

I have been doing automation of daily check activity for a server, i have been using sqls to retrive the data and while loop for reading the data from the file for several activities. BUT i got a show stopper the below one.. where the data is getting store in $temp_file, but not being read by while... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KuldeepSinghTCS
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unzipping a file in Solaris - Issue with xls file

Hi, I have an excel file generated by system in windows. I am zipping it, transfering to unix and unzipping there. But i'm getting below output while unzipping. $ /usr/bin/unzip -a 123.zip -d . Archive: 123.zip inflating: ./123/Index.xls When i copy this unzipped xls file to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajaykumarb
0 Replies

6. IP Networking

Issue File Extension is file Size

I am currently experiencing the file size being added to the file extension when transfering information from Command Line Client to a UNIX server. Does anyone know why this is happening and how do I stop the file size being added to the file extension. Example: football.pqt.11108... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Skeeterrock
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with sudoers file.

Hi All, I am new to sudoers file. I am asked to troubleshoot why a particular user (alandhi) is not able to run a script as a different user(scmtg). I have the following line in my sudoers file and the user's name added to the group. User_Alias QA_USERS = alandhi, testuser1, qauser3 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tuxidow
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need assistance with a file issue and a terminal issue

Hello everyone, I'm in need of some assistance. I'm currently enrolled in an introductory UNIX shell programming course and, well halfway through the semester, we are receiving our first actual assignment. I've somewhat realized now that I've fallen behind, and I'm working to get caught up, but for... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MrMagoo22
1 Replies

9. Cybersecurity

UNIX files timestamping - Need experts opinion as testimonial

Hi I am requesting your help to obtain opinions and testimonials in order to be be able to make my own opinion since I am definetly not a unix expert. Say we have a UNIX server. On this server there is a specific directory let us call it "DIR" A security incident have been reported... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: docflied
10 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Listing file issue

I have the three following files available in the directory. But the job should be able to read only the first two files. Could any one help me in writing command to list only the first two files and omit the last file. I used ls -1 LSM_REP* > final.lst. It is copying all the three files. But I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram Nukavarapu
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-adfpqr] [-c command] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Option: -a Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c command Run the named command instead of the shell. Useful for capturing the output of a program that behaves differently when associated with a tty. -d When playing back a session with the -p flag, don't sleep between records when playing back a timestamped session. -f Flush output after each write. This is useful for watching the script output in real time. -p Play back a session recorded with the -r flag in real time. -q Be quiet, and don't output started and ended lines. -r Record a session with input, output, and timestamping. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is used by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. BSD
October 17, 2009 BSD