Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat How to Upgrade Centos 5.7 using Centos 5.8 ISO image on Vmware workstation Post 302688739 by Ananthcn on Monday 20th of August 2012 05:07:12 AM
Old 08-20-2012
Thanks fpmurphy!...It worked !...I followed your steps and upgraded to CentOS 5.8.

I have couple of queries which I could not understand during the upgrade. Kindly clarify the below queires:
1.I have image CentOS 5.8 ISO image in the hard drive and I tried to mount this to virtual machine running with CentOS 5.7 and it got mounted as (/media/CentOS_5.8_Final). When I checked the contents in the mounted directory (/media/CentOS_5.8_Final) , i could see lot of release notes and few directories like isolinux,Centos,etc.,. but unable to find the ISO image file..
In this scenario, i was unable to perform the upgrade.Later I burnt the Centos 5.8 ISO image file in the DVD and mounted it. By doing this , i could see the ISO image file .
Please clarify what is the difference when we mount the ISO image from the hard drive and the same image burnt in DVD ?

2.I mounted the ISO image and ran "yum list"..and got error. Later then I connected my system to internet and re-run "yum list" and it worked.

To upgrade from 5.7 to 5.8 , Do we need internet connection mandatory, without internet connection can't we do the upgrade.?.

Please clarfiy these two questions..so that it would be helpful to understand.

Thanks,
Ananth

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Virtualization and Cloud Computing

Installing Solaris10 from ISO image in VMware

While installing solaris10 from iso dvd image in vmware on windows i get the follworing error right after i select solaris 10 from grub menu panic/thread=fec20160: page_unlock: page fe2b5730 is not locked why is it doing this? installation does work if i have the physical dvd into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplinux
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos commands: Yum Upgrade versus Yum update

Hi, I would like to know the difference between YUM UPDATE and YUM UPGRADE. The man pages say upgrade is same as update with the obsolete option. And by default it says the obsolete option is turned on, which would make them equivalent. Does not say what obsolete does. Can someone please... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mojoman
3 Replies

3. Red Hat

can't ping to my VMWare CentOs after seting host name

Im using CentOs 5.5 , i tried to change the host name to be for example my_server_1 , according to the web i changed the /etc/sysconf/network to look like this : NETWORKING=yes NETWORKING_IPV6=no #HOSTNAME=localhost.localdomain HOSTNAME=my_server_1 and changed the hosts file to look like this... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

4. Red Hat

ssh connection keep disconected , how to find way? in CentOs vmware

Hello i have CentOS installed on vmware , few days ago every thing was working fine. today every time im connect with putty to the CentOs server after few minutes it disconnect me , how can i find what is the reason ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
5 Replies

5. Red Hat

CentOS Upgrade from 6.4 to 6.5 no updates

I did an upgrade on Jan 3,2014 from CentOS 6.4 to 6.5 and noticed that there hasnt been any updates since then Jan 03 11:45:05 Updated: 12:dhcp-common-4.1.1-38.P1.el6.centos.i686 Jan 03 11:45:06 Updated: hwdata-0.233-9.1.el6.noarch Jan 03 11:45:11 Updated:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: metallica1973
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Centos upgrade

Hello Guyz First of all, I'm new to Linux with basic SSH knowledge, so any additional help would be much appreciated. I'm using a Linux VPS == cat /etc/redhat-release CentOS release 5.10 (Final) == I know this is an outdated version. My VPS came with all necessary modules : PHP,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: johnchristy
5 Replies

7. Red Hat

Need RHEL/CentOS 7 'Little Endian' ISO for PowerPC

Hi! One of our clients need RHEL 7 on PPC hardware for their R&D setup and they are particular about this being 'Little Endian'. The problem is that Redhat doesn't have LE RHEL7 images below 7.1 while the latest toolkit (which is needed while reimaging an IBM LPAR) that IBM provides only... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: satish51392111
0 Replies
BOOTCD2DISK(1)							   bootcd utils 						    BOOTCD2DISK(1)

NAME
bootcd2disk - copy a system running from bootcd to a disk SYNOPSIS
bootcd2disk [-i] [-s] [-c <config directory>] [-url <url>] DESCRIPTION
With bootcd2disk a CD build with bootcdwrite can be copied to one or more Disk Partitions from the running cd-based system. Therefore bootcd could be used to make rescue disks. It is also possible to let bootcd2disk automatically find a disk, make partitions on it, copy the cd to the disk and make the disk bootable. bootcd2disk will be available as soon as your system is running from cd. OPTIONS
-i With this option the complete bootcd2disk runs in interactive mode and you can run each function manually. This option is useful for debugging. -v The option "-v" (verbose) adds messages on running. -s This option can be used to disable interactive questions and to try to ignore errors. -c <config directory> The configuration directory which normally is "/etc/bootcd" can be changed with this. -url <url> If bootcd2disk is slow on your system (because of a slow CD/DVD drive or the HP ILO virtual CD interface), you can use an image server to get the image from. bootcd2disk use the SWAP partition of your upcoming system as temporary space and copy the image from the con- figured image server to this partition and use it as image. The image server url is configured with this option. example install from imagesserver: bootcd2disk -url http://192.168.1.1/cdimage.iso Another way the increase the performance is the use of the mounted CD/DVD itself for the copy. The option "-url" is the same, the url starts with "file:///" example install from CD/DVD drive sdc0: bootcd2disk -url file:///dev/sdc0 The swap partition of the upcoming system must have enough space to get the whole image! Currently no other options can be specified on command line. All other configuration has to be done in the config files. FILES
/etc/bootcd/bootcd2disk.conf Configuration for bootcd2disk. SEE ALSO
Documentation in bootcd2disk.conf bootcd2disk.conf(5), bootcd(1), bootcdflopcp(1), bootcdwrite(1) AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bernd Schumacher <bernd.schumacher@hp.com> and Carsten Dinkelmann <Carsten.Dinkelmann@foobar-cpa.de> for the Debian GNU/Linux system (but may be used by others). bootcd2disk 2007-04-04 BOOTCD2DISK(1)