Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need assistance on ACL
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Need assistance on ACL Post 302688651 by methyl on Sunday 19th of August 2012 09:55:01 PM
Old 08-19-2012
Though you omitted to mention the Operating System and version, on most modern versions of unix/Linux those permissions on /tmp will stop one user interfering with another user's files. See the special meaning of what used to be known as the "Sticky Bit" in your version of man chmod. When the "Sticky Bit" is set on /tmp the ls -lad /tmp shows a t attribute. You will be well advised to not change the permissions of /tmp.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Cybersecurity

ACL

Hi all, I've just been handled the responsibility for a FTP-site. Having no experiens of UNIX at all. And now one of my users needs to have full access to the usr directory and all it's subdirectories, don't know why just trying to do what the boss tells me. The type of UNIX is FreeBSD and the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: -tri-
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ACL vs privileges

Hello genius..! what do y'all think of these questions...? help appreciated...! Access Control Lists and privileges.... # Why both file ACLs and user permissions/privileges (not to be confused with rights in ACLs) are used in Windows access control (why not just use one of these)? # In... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: heroine
1 Replies

3. Linux

ACL

Hi, I want to know what does the "effective" comment means in the output of the getfacl and whether it has to do with the acl mask... thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gartlar
0 Replies

4. Solaris

ACL

Can i get the synopsis for add multiple users in single command for ACL access for a directory or a file thanks in advance dinu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dinu
3 Replies

5. HP-UX

When did HP-UX have support for ACL?

Hello, I try to find what year HP-UX got support for ACL (Access Control List)? I know that HP-UX was the first Unix with ACL support, but it is very hard to find the information on when that occured. So anyone here know when that did happen? Any answers are appreciated, /eXpander (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: eXpander
1 Replies

6. Solaris

ACL on the Solaris

we have two Solaris 10 servers with same configuration and settings. We have hard mounted the NFS with the version 4. In one of the server the newer ACL commands are working fine (chmod and ls -v) whereas in another only posix (getfacl and setfacl alone is working) when we try ls -V in in that... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: sathishbabu89
13 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Help setting ACL's

Folks, Solaris 10 issue When I add a new directory to a path, I only get the "group@" line in the ACL The parent directory ACL is drwxrws---+ 12 root teama 12 Jul 18 10:31 . owner@:rwxp-DaARWc---:------:allow group@:rwxp-DaARWc--s:fd----:allow ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wilberforce
0 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to apply acl?

hi, i am facing problem with acls, as a root i logged in and applied acl for directory(dir5),by using command setfacl -m u:user1:rwx dir5 but when i logged in as user1 i am not able to access that folder even though i applied full permission to that directory as a root.can any one help me on... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmanoj489
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

ACL confusion

All, I am trying to clear ACL's completely from all files and folders in a directory. I can get the directories as cleared as: # owner: root # group: root user::rwx group::r-x other::rwx default:user::rwx default:group::r-x default:other::r-x What ever I do I can't remove the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hburnswell
4 Replies
aclcheck(3SEC)					       File Access Control Library Functions					    aclcheck(3SEC)

NAME
aclcheck - check the validity of an ACL SYNOPSIS
cc [ flag... ] file... -lsec [ library... ] #include <sys/acl.h> int aclcheck(aclent_t *aclbufp, int nentries, int *which); DESCRIPTION
The aclcheck() function checks the validity of an ACL pointed to by aclbufp. The nentries argument is the number of entries contained in the buffer. The which parameter returns the index of the first entry that is invalid. The function verifies that an ACL pointed to by aclbufp is valid according to the following rules: o There must be exactly one GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one USER_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. o If there are any GROUP ACL entries, then the group ID in each group ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any USER ACL entries, then the user ID in each user ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any GROUP or USER ACL entries, then there must be exactly one CLASS_OBJ (ACL mask) entry. o If there are any default ACL entries, then the following apply: o There must be exactly one default GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one default OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. o There must be exactly one default USER_OBJ ACL entry. o If there are any DEF_GROUP entries, then the group ID in each DEF_GROUP ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any DEF_USER entries, then the user ID in each DEF_USER ACL entry must be unique. o If there are any DEF_GROUP or DEF_USER entries, then there must be exactly one DEF_CLASS_OBJ (default ACL mask) entry. o If any of the above rules are violated, then the function fails with errno set to EINVAL. RETURN VALUES
If the ACL is valid, alcheck() will return 0. Otherwise errno is set to EINVAL and return code is set to one of the following: GRP_ERROR There is more than one GROUP_OBJ or DEF_GROUP_OBJ ACL entry. USER_ERROR There is more than one USER_OBJ or DEF_USER_OBJ ACL entry. CLASS_ERROR There is more than one CLASS_OBJ (ACL mask) or DEF_CLASS_OBJ (default ACL mask) entry. OTHER_ERROR There is more than one OTHER_OBJ or DEF_OTHER_OBJ ACL entry. DUPLICATE_ERROR Duplicate entries of USER, GROUP, DEF_USER, or DEF_GROUP. ENTRY_ERROR The entry type is invalid. MISS_ERROR Missing an entry. The which parameter returns -1 in this case. MEM_ERROR The system cannot allocate any memory. The which parameter returns -1 in this case. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Evolving | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Unsafe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
acl(2), aclsort(3SEC), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 10 Dec 2001 aclcheck(3SEC)