Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files Post 302688629 by methyl on Sunday 19th of August 2012 08:51:50 PM
Old 08-19-2012
Please provide the basic information I requested in Post #5.

Bottom line: Your script is a disaster. It needs a total rewrite. Only certain syntax issues are stopping the script destroying all files in the directory (as others have advised).
Please stop running trial-and-error on live data, and publish the specification for the process.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect

i have following statement in the script echo -e "$str_XML_col_name:$str_field_type;" >> $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema here $i_DC_Key is DC key and $i_Tgt_DC_key are the variables............... when i ran the script i am getting error rec_merge.sh: $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect error

Hi everyone, While I was trying to do DATE=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"` STARTLOG=$TUXSTDDIR/start_$DATE.log tmboot -y > $STARTLOG 2>&1 I got an error i.e. Ambiguous output redirect error. Here the first part is to boot the account so there is nothing wrong with that.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

> to empty files, but ambiguous redirect

Hi Everyone, # ll total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a1.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a2.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a3.log # rm a.log above rm no problem, but when i use "> a.log", it says "-bash: a.log: ambiguous redirect". ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect issue

I am trying to run the following script and I am getting an "ambiguous redirect" error. I have checked to make sure that the files are all where I have specified and are read/write as needed. Any ideas? Note: I have removed the actual path info for privacy sake. I have triple checked to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malantha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous redirect

Hello there, I'm totally new in bash programming and ran into my first problem. My script should generate 3 textfiles where the content of the first and the third row are the same in each file. Only the second row is different. This is what I did in a very simplified explanation: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johndoe
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambiguous redirect error

This script has ambiguous redirect error. ... cd $HOME cd folder/work # search all subfolders in work directory find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read directory do CUR_FOLDER="${directory#"./"}" cd $CUR_FOLDER chmod 644 * for ff in *; do if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous error

Hello everybody, I just took over this job from someone else and in the past this script they built worked but i recently upgraded from openSuSe 11.4 to 12.1 Now when i run the script i get an ambiguous error at line 25 (the first line after add() ) I have edited out the webpath and any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gumbicus
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect in xterm

Hi all, I've been working on a bash script to help with backups that I have to do at work. One of the lines in the script is supposed to launch an xterm, log into a specific server node and launch a tar backup to tape. This part works ok, but I've been trying to get stdout and stderr to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exitalterego
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

$1”: ambiguous redirect

New to the site, please let me know I'm not meeting the post guidelines. I'm creating a bash script to generate a report with output from a grep command. The goal is to direct the output to a different log file by using a 'logger file'. But I get this error during the run: $1: ambiguous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
5 Replies
SCRIPT(1)							   User Commands							 SCRIPT(1)

NAME
script -- make typescript of terminal session SYNOPSIS
script [-a] [-c command] [-e] [-f] [-q] [-t[=file]] [-V] [-h] [file] DESCRIPTION
script makes a typescript of everything printed on your terminal. It is useful for students who need a hardcopy record of an interactive session as proof of an assignment, as the typescript file can be printed out later with lpr(1). If the argument file is given, script saves all dialogue in file. If no file name is given, the typescript is saved in the file typescript. Options: -a, --append Append the output to file or typescript, retaining the prior contents. -c, --command command Run the command rather than an interactive shell. This makes it easy for a script to capture the output of a program that behaves differently when its stdout is not a tty. -e, --return Return the exit code of the child process. Uses the same format as bash termination on signal termination exit code is 128+n. -f, --flush Flush output after each write. This is nice for telecooperation: one person does `mkfifo foo; script -f foo', and another can super- vise real-time what is being done using `cat foo'. --force Allow the default output destination, i.e. the typescript file, to be a hard or symbolic link. The command will follow a symbolic link. -q, --quiet Be quiet. -t, --timing[=file] Output timing data to standard error, or to file when given. This data contains two fields, separated by a space. The first field indicates how much time elapsed since the previous output. The second field indicates how many characters were output this time. This information can be used to replay typescripts with realistic typing and output delays. -V, --version Output version information and exit. -h, --help Output help and exit. The script ends when the forked shell exits (a control-D to exit the Bourne shell (sh(1)), and exit, logout or control-d (if ignoreeof is not set) for the C-shell, csh(1)). Certain interactive commands, such as vi(1), create garbage in the typescript file. Script works best with commands that do not manipulate the screen, the results are meant to emulate a hardcopy terminal. ENVIRONMENT
The following environment variable is utilized by script: SHELL If the variable SHELL exists, the shell forked by script will be that shell. If SHELL is not set, the Bourne shell is assumed. (Most shells set this variable automatically). SEE ALSO
csh(1) (for the history mechanism), scriptreplay(1). HISTORY
The script command appeared in 3.0BSD. BUGS
Script places everything in the log file, including linefeeds and backspaces. This is not what the naive user expects. AVAILABILITY
The script command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux February 2011 util-linux