Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Ambiguous redirect error and syntax error when using on multiple files Post 302688489 by Madhusudan Das on Sunday 19th of August 2012 12:30:40 PM
Old 08-19-2012
syntax Error on Multiple files

First of all thank you so much for helping me RudiC and Don Cragon,

I changed the " " to $(), and quoted '^-':
Before :
Code:
for i in "ls -l | grep ^- | awk '{print $9}'"

Now : for i in
Code:
 "ls -l | grep '^-' | awk '{print $9}'"

and put the ; before done on line 19th, I am a beginner for linux so don't know much about it but this script will sol the purpose I need to do with N number of files.
I exactly want to delete unwanted lines not having word "ASPRODUCTSUMARY" from a specific position 15th from any CSV file coming in as a result of
Code:
for i in "ls -l | grep '^-' | awk '{print $9}'"

Now I am getting error on line 12 after the file name as correctly being passed. The output of the script is as follows :
Code:
[madhu@devinfaav POPS]$ bash MCEASPRODUCTSUMMARY.sh
: command not found.sh: line 3: 
: command not found.sh: line 4: 
1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_002.MCESOLUTION `1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_002.MCESOLUTION' -> `UNPROCESSED/ASPRODUCTSUMMARY/1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_002.MCESOLUTION.CSV'
1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_00.MCESOLUTION `1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_00.MCESOLUTION' -> `UNPROCESSED/ASPRODUCTSUMMARY/1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_00.MCESOLUTION.CSV'
: command not found.sh: line 5: 
: command not found.sh: line 6: 
: command not found.sh: line 8: 
: command not found.sh: line 9: 
: command not found.sh: line 11: 
: No such file or directorye 14: 1400009823_RTBM_20120614_1715_0_0_0_00.MCESOLUTION.CSV
: command not found.sh: line 12: 
: command not found.sh: line 13: 
MCEASPRODUCTSUMMARY.sh: line 26: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
'CEASPRODUCTSUMMARY.sh: line 26: `echo "${prefix}$line"; done< "$file" > temp.CSV;

UPDATED SCRIPT:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
# MCE Repricing ASPRODUCTSUMMARY

# Moves file in desired folder and changes them the CSV file types
cd /u02/sppdw/dw/infa_shared/SrcFiles/POPS;
for files in $(ls *.MCESOLUTION); do  echo $files $(mv -v $files 'UNPROCESSED/ASPRODUCTSUMMARY/'${files%}.CSV) ;     done ;
cd /u02/sppdw/dw/infa_shared/SrcFiles/POPS/UNPROCESSED/ASPRODUCTSUMMARY;

# below will delete unnecessary lines from the file in current directory
FOLDERDIR="/u02/sppdw/dw/infa_shared/SrcFiles/POPS/UNPROCESSED/ASPRODUCTSUMMARY";
cd $FOLDERDIR;
for i in $(ls -l | grep '^-' | awk '{print $9}')
do  
grep -i "^.............ASPRODUCTSUMMARY"< "$i" > "$i"; done;
# to add case id and studytype value in front of each line of each file(N files)
# for example caseid='1400009823' and studytype ='RTBM' which are 
# extracted from filename and then appended in front of each line of a line
# and then repeat for N number of CSV files in current directory

for file in '$(ls -l $FOLDERDIR)'; do 
caseid=$(echo $file | cut -c1-10);
studytype=$(echo $file | cut -c12-15);
prefix="$caseid,$studytype,";
while read -r line
do
echo "${prefix}$line"; done< "$file" > temp.CSV;
mv -v temp.CSV ${file};
done;
exit 0;

Thank you so much in advance
Best Regards

Last edited by Neo; 05-06-2019 at 12:55 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect

i have following statement in the script echo -e "$str_XML_col_name:$str_field_type;" >> $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema here $i_DC_Key is DC key and $i_Tgt_DC_key are the variables............... when i ran the script i am getting error rec_merge.sh: $i_DC_Key_$i_Tgt_DC_key_Schema:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mahabunta
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect error

Hi everyone, While I was trying to do DATE=`date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M%S"` STARTLOG=$TUXSTDDIR/start_$DATE.log tmboot -y > $STARTLOG 2>&1 I got an error i.e. Ambiguous output redirect error. Here the first part is to boot the account so there is nothing wrong with that.... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pareshan
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

> to empty files, but ambiguous redirect

Hi Everyone, # ll total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a1.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a2.log -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 0 2010-05-13 11:29 a3.log # rm a.log above rm no problem, but when i use "> a.log", it says "-bash: a.log: ambiguous redirect". ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimmy_y
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ambiguous redirect issue

I am trying to run the following script and I am getting an "ambiguous redirect" error. I have checked to make sure that the files are all where I have specified and are read/write as needed. Any ideas? Note: I have removed the actual path info for privacy sake. I have triple checked to make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: malantha
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous redirect

Hello there, I'm totally new in bash programming and ran into my first problem. My script should generate 3 textfiles where the content of the first and the third row are the same in each file. Only the second row is different. This is what I did in a very simplified explanation: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: johndoe
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

ambiguous redirect error

This script has ambiguous redirect error. ... cd $HOME cd folder/work # search all subfolders in work directory find -mindepth 1 -maxdepth 1 -type d | while read directory do CUR_FOLDER="${directory#"./"}" cd $CUR_FOLDER chmod 644 * for ff in *; do if ; then ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: candyme
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Receiving 'ambiguous redirect' when trying to run command against multiple files

I came across the command string on https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/141885-awk-removing-data-before-after-pattern.html which was what I was looking for to be able to remove data before a certain pattern. However, outputting the result to a file seems to work on an individual basis... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: HLee1981
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous error

Hello everybody, I just took over this job from someone else and in the past this script they built worked but i recently upgraded from openSuSe 11.4 to 12.1 Now when i run the script i get an ambiguous error at line 25 (the first line after add() ) I have edited out the webpath and any... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gumbicus
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ambiguous output redirect in xterm

Hi all, I've been working on a bash script to help with backups that I have to do at work. One of the lines in the script is supposed to launch an xterm, log into a specific server node and launch a tar backup to tape. This part works ok, but I've been trying to get stdout and stderr to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Exitalterego
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

$1”: ambiguous redirect

New to the site, please let me know I'm not meeting the post guidelines. I'm creating a bash script to generate a report with output from a grep command. The goal is to direct the output to a different log file by using a 'logger file'. But I get this error during the run: $1: ambiguous... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dallas88
5 Replies