Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers A question about Unix Architecture. Post 302688031 by jim mcnamara on Friday 17th of August 2012 12:24:21 PM
Old 08-17-2012
Another way to look at UNIX/Linux:

A range of scale from small to ridiculous:
It runs some kids toys, your refrigerator, your android, your car, most electric utility billing systems, and very LARGE computer clusters that have thousands of individual computers working on a single problem.

Some of the world's fastest installations are UNIX/Linux clusters.

So it is literally everywhere.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

unix to unix serial connection question

hi there i'm a new bie just got few simple questions to ask. I got expert in windows configuration but totally new to unix environment . I want to make sure a com port (com1) is working, so I connect a 9-pin cable (CB9) for both PC using Unix environment (unix to unix). The question are (1)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: typsam
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix History Question: Why are filenames/dirnames case sentsitive in Unix?

I tried looking for the answer online and came up with only a few semi-answers as to why file and directory names are case sensitive in Unix. Right off the bat, I'll say this doesn't bother me. But I run into tons of Windows and OpenVMS admins in my day job who go batty when they have to deal... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: deckard
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Trivial Unix Architecture question

Hi, I am becoming very curious as to why viruses attach only Windows system and not any UNIX and Linux. Does that has to do something with the architecture or something else. (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibhor_agarwali
11 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

UNIX box architecture

Hi Gurus, I am new to UNIX environment. We have our DataStage tool installed on UNIX box.We have Dev,test and Prod environments.The architecrue is as given below. Now my problem is I am not able to know what is meant by Physical name,Logical name,Cluster etc. also we need to do failover in case a... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pratyusha
5 Replies

5. Ubuntu

Dpkg architecture

I noticed dpkg reporting architecture as AMD64, but the h/w is Intel, see below: ~$ uname -a Linux XXX 3.2.0-29-generic #46-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jul 27 17:03:23 UTC 2012 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux ~$ lshw | grep -i xeon WARNING: you should run this program as super-user. PCI (sysfs) ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: migurus
2 Replies
MKULZMA(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 						MKULZMA(8)

NAME
mkulzma -- compress disk image for use with geom_uncompress(4) class SYNOPSIS
mkulzma [-v] [-o outfile] [-s cluster_size] infile DESCRIPTION
The mkulzma utility compresses a disk image file so that the geom_uncompress(4) class will be able to decompress the resulting image at run- time. This allows for a significant reduction of size of disk image at the expense of some CPU time required to decompress the data each time it is read. The mkulzma utility works in two phases: 1. An infile image is split into clusters; each cluster is compressed using liblzma. 2. The resulting set of compressed clusters along with headers that allow locating each individual cluster is written to the output file. The options are: -o outfile Name of the output file outfile. The default is to use the input name with the suffix .ulzma. -s cluster_size Split the image into clusters of cluster_size bytes, 16384 bytes by default. The cluster_size should be a multiple of 512 bytes. -v Display verbose messages. NOTES
The compression ratio largely depends on the cluster size used. For large cluster sizes (16K and higher), typical compression ratios are only 1-2% less than those achieved with lzma(1). However, it should be kept in mind that larger cluster sizes lead to higher overhead in the geom_uncompress(4) class, as the class has to decompress the whole cluster even if only a few bytes from that cluster have to be read. The mkulzma utility inserts a short shell script at the beginning of the generated image, which makes it possible to ``run'' the image just like any other shell script. The script tries to load the geom_uncompress(4) class if it is not loaded, configure the image as an md(4) disk device using mdconfig(8), and automatically mount it using mount_cd9660(8) on the mount point provided as the first argument to the script. EXIT STATUS
The mkulzma utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
lzma(1), geom(4), geom_uncompress(4), md(4), mdconfig(8), mount_cd9660(8) AUTHORS
Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org> Aleksandr Rybalko <ray@ddteam.net> BSD
March 17, 2006 BSD