Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting A script that kills previous instances of itself upon running not killing child processes Post 302687543 by Chubler_XL on Thursday 16th of August 2012 07:09:07 PM
Old 08-16-2012
Try killing the process ID group with:

Code:
/bin/kill -$(/usr/bin/tail -1 ${pidFile})

Note: you are passing a negative number of the parent shell to kill. all child shells should be in the process group of the parent shell.

Also, some implementations of kill require -- to avoid -$PID being interpreted as a signal number eg:
Code:
/bin/kill -- $(/usr/bin/tail -1 ${pidFile})

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to limit the number of running instances of a script?

I would like to allow only one instance of a script to run at any moment. I've tried the following solution to count the instances but the result is always the number of running instances plus one and I can't find the problem ps -ef | grep $0 | sed '/^$/ d' | sed '/grep/ d' | wc -l Please... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: oti
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script that checks for previous instances running

Hello, I'm trying to write a script that checks for previous instances of the same script which may still be running (this script is scheduled to run every 30 minutes). I want to somehow use the pid from each instance to make sure the previous one isn't running before continuing with my... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bd_joy
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Leaving Program running but killing the script

Sorry for all the threads. I am almost done. I ahve a bash script that is launching a diags program then copying the .html over my client. then it does the following line /opt/firefox/firefox report.html it launches it fines but the program waits for me to close the window or kill the script.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: deaconf19
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Monitoring Processes - Killing hung processes

Is there a way to monitor certain processes and if they hang too long to kill them, but certain scripts which are expected to take a long time to let them go? Thank you Richard (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ukndoit
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

killing all child processes

Hi, Is there a way I can kill all the child processes of a process, given its process id. Many thanks in advance. J. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: superuser84
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

36 Child Processes not running as desired

I have a parent process which will start 36 child process. This I achieved by using the 'for loop'. In Parent.sh:- ./Child.sh <arg1> <arg2> ... & If I execute "ps -ef | grep Child.sh", I can see 72 child processes running at the background. I mean I can see the duplicate of each process. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nthiruvenkatam
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the age of a unix process, killing old processes, killing zombie processes

I had issues with processes locking up. This script checks for processes and kills them if they are older than a certain time. Its uses some functions you'll need to define or remove, like slog() which I use for logging, and is_running() which checks if this script is already running so you can... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sukerman
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script, child kills parent

Hello everyone, I'm trying to write a script, i would like to say the child kills the parent, how would i do that? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jessy21
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script counting instances of software running on a machine

Hello to all @here, as Iīm new to this forum, I will try to start in a easy way for my first post. Iīm not beginner in scripting, but also not a proffessional. So please keep easy, if I donīt understand your explanation at once ;) I donīt mean it in a bad way! Here is the Problem: There were... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muogli
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running a script on remote server kills my login session

Hi there, I'm trying to run a script remotely on a server in a particular directory named after hostname which already exists, my login session gets killed as soon as I run the below command. Not sure what is wrong, is there a better way to do it ? Note: I can also use nohup command to run... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
14 Replies
kill(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   kill(1)

Name
       kill - send a signal to a process

Syntax
       kill [-sig] processid...
       kill -l

Description
       The command sends the TERM (terminate, 15) signal to the specified processes.  If a signal name or number preceded by `-' is given as first
       argument, that signal is sent instead of terminate.  For further information, see

The terminate signal kills processes that do not catch the signal; `kill -9 ...' is a sure kill, as the KILL (9) signal cannot  be  caught.
       By convention, if process number 0 is specified, all members in the process group (that is, processes resulting from the current login) are
       signaled.  This works only if you use and not if you use To kill a process it must either belong to you or you must be superuser.

The process number of an asynchronous process started with `&' is reported by the shell.  Process numbers can also be  found  by  using	It
       allows job specifiers ``%...''  so process ID's are not as often used as arguments.  See for details.

Options
       -l   Lists  signal  names.  The signal names are listed by `kill -l', and are as given in /usr/include/signal.h, stripped of the common SIG
	    prefix.

See Also
       csh(1), ps(1), kill(2), sigvec(2)

kill(1)