Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: call more options on if
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users call more options on if Post 302687359 by charli1 on Thursday 16th of August 2012 11:57:11 AM
Old 08-16-2012
call more options on if

Hi all,
I'm trying to make a script that will help me a lof on some configuration,
what this should do is to check the files if they exist ,if not the script will send me a mail to notify me that the files does not exist,

but when i call the script to test it,like this
Code:
sh /test/test_script.sh  /test/test_

it says to many arguments ,
and it checks only for the first date format,and skips the other,
how can this be done to check al the date formats and to send me a single mail not 5 mail?
any suggestions are very welcome
thanks in advance.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
{
FILE=$1
TODAY1=`date +%Y-%m-%d`
TODAY2=`date +%Y_%m_%d`
TODAY3=`date +%Y%m%d`
TODAY4=`date +%y-%m-%d-%H-%M`
TODAY5=`date +%y%m%d%H%M`
if [ -e $FILE$TODAY1* ] or [ -e $FILE$TODAY2* ] or [ -e $FILE$TODAY3* ] or [ -e $FILE$TODAY4* ] or [ -e $FILE$TODAY5* ] ;
 then
  echo $FILE  File Exists
else
  echo "$FILE File not Found" | mail -s 'server-test' my.account@my.domain.com
 fi
}

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cp options

Hello again, Is there an option for the cp command to overwrite existing files in the destination directory? Cheers Rob (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: milage
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

options

I am just beginning to learn unix and I was wondering if there was a list of all the options somewhere on the net or hidden in the man pages? Also do options always have - and then a letter, or can it be - and a number as well? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terms5
1 Replies

3. AIX

no options

Hi All, I have a situation here that's very fun... I have a system with AIX and iPlanet (sunOne) installed, when occurs an unknown event on the network the WebServer shows a thousand of CLOSE_WAIT connections and this number grows and grows until the webserver crashs. I read some documents... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nascimento.rp
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to differentiate system call from library call

Hi, Ho do I differentiate system call from library call? for example if I am using chmod , how do I find out if it is a system call or library call? Thanks Muru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: muru
2 Replies

5. Infrastructure Monitoring

diffrence between method call and function call in perl

Hello, I have a problem with package and name space. require "/Mehran/DSGateEngineLib/general.pl"; use strict; sub System_Status_Main_Service_Status_Intrusion_Prevention { my %idpstatus; my @result; &General_ReadHash("/var/dsg/idp/settings",\%idpstatus); #print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaxon
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ?

Why do I need to call make if I call gcc ? I thought gcc already compiles the sources. thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
1 Replies

7. Ubuntu

Kernel boot options removed by fault, no boot options

Hello Everyone, First of all, I highly appreciate all Linux forum members and whole Linux community. http://forums.linuxmint.com/images/smilies/icon_wink.gif. I wish you the best for all of you ! I will try to be short and concise: I am using Linux Mint 10 for 2 months on 2 ws, and all went... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cdt
3 Replies
msgchk(1mh)															       msgchk(1mh)

Name
       msgchk - check for messages

Syntax
       msgchk [ -help ] [ -nodate ] [ -notify all|mail|nomail ] [ users ...  ]

Description
       The  program checks all known mail drops for mail that is waiting for you.  It displays whether you have mail waiting to be read or not and
       shows the date that you last read your mail.

You can check other user's maildrops by specifying their user names as the users argument on the command line.

Options
       -help	 Prints a list of the valid options for this command.

-date
       -nodate	 Prints the date when you last read your mail.	This is the default behavior of The -nodate option can be used of you do not  want
		 to print this date.

-notify
       -nonotify Indicates  under  what circumstances should produce a message.  There are three legal values: all, mail, and nomail.  The default
		 is -notify all, which reports the status of the maildrop regardless of whether it has mail in it or not.  The -notify mail option
		 reports  the  status of the maildrop only if there is mail waiting.  The -notify nomail option reports the status of the maildrop
		 only if there is no mail in it.

-source file
		 Specifies the source which are checked for mail.  The only value allowed is file, which is the user's maildrop.  Additional  val-
		 ues are supported only for use with other mail systems.

Restrictions
       does  not  understand the $MAILDROP environmental variable.  If mail is fetched from a location other than will not be able to determine if
       new mail has arrived.  However, can still be used to fetch mail when it arrives.

For this version, the -source option only supports the value file.  Additional values are supported for use only with other mail systems.

Examples
       This example shows a user Smith checking his own maildrop:
       % msgchk
       Smith:
	  New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 88 17
       :21:49 WET

The next example shows a user checking the maildrops of two other local users on the same system, Rabb and Jones:
       % msgchk Rabb Jones
       Rabb:
	  No file-source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 13:22:
       25 WET
       Jones:
	  New file source mail waiting ; last read on Tue, 07 Jun 17:30
       :05 WET

Files
       The user profile.

The system customization file.

The user's maildrop.

See Also