Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting sed for delete the 2th 3th 4th Post 302687321 by Don Cragun on Thursday 16th of August 2012 10:54:07 AM
Old 08-16-2012
To delete the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th fields (using the same assumptions I made above about what you define a field to be), the following single line sed will handle it:
Code:
sed 's/[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z]*//4;s/[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z]*//3;s/[a-zA-Z][a-zA-Z]*//2' 9

it is just harder to read than the same code with the <semicolon>s replaced by <newline>s. It can't be done with a single sed substitute command. (At least it can't in a portable way. Some implementations of sed might support providing a list and/or range of values when specifying which occurrence of a match for the BRE in a substitute command, but I haven't seen any that do so.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete particular value from file using 'sed'

Hi, I have two files test1,test2. If the number in test1 file exist in test2 then i want to remove that from test2 file. Ex: File- test1 12 13 14 15 ============== File- test2 1A~12 2B~13 3C~33 4D~22 I want to remove row which contains 12,13 from test2. I am using this sed... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sai_nj
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Delete ^ using sed

Hi All, I am very new to UNIX... I was trying to delete ^ from a file and save it with different name... The version is AIX 5.3 The input file is in this directory /a/b The Input file name is o9876.out I want the output file in same path with different name like ABC.txt... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: us_pokiri
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete using sed

hi , i need to delete all the lines in a file except a line which starts with the letter SP (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhdmehraj
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed-delete

Guys, file1: test \ 123 cat file1 | sed '/test \/d' ---- does not work I have to remove the line "test \" in file1 can somebody help ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - delete everything until the first digit comes up

Hi, I have a text file with content as follows: bla foo3200492 comment on this: 3900302 here comes the teddy 12 all I need is: 3200492 3900302 12 So I need the correct "sed" command to delete everything until the first number. I am not a regex expert, because I have to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcW
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete option

I have tried doing this to delete some lines: sed '1,10d' file Now I want to specify a variable as a line number for example: lastline=wc -l file linestart=$lastline - 20 sed '$linestart,$lastlined' file but this will give error: sed: -e expression #1, char 3: extra characters after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: zorrox
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed delete

I am not able to analyze the below code.. What I expected is that DELETED will be replaced with the first field in every line.But after giving a try, the output was different. Can anyone pleas analyze and explain the code in detail? Many thanks... $ sed 's/* /DELETED /g' g1.txt > g4.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giridhar276
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete data between [] with sed

i'm cat /var/log/message Jan 10 14:48:45 LOG SKYPE-OUT IN=eth1 OUT=eth2 SRC=192.168.1.65 DST=203.157.168.5 PROTO=TCP SPT=1284 DPT=3306 Jan 10 14:48:45 LOG HTTPS IN=eth0 OUT=eth1 SRC=207.46.15.251 DST=192.168.1.47 PROTO=TCP SPT=443 DPT=2069 Jan 10 14:48:45 LOG HTTPS IN=eth0 OUT=eth1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: slackman
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to delete ^M

I am trying to use sed to delete the ^M at the end of the line and when i pass a file './asciiFix.sh wintest.txt' I get an error saying sed: can't read : no such file or dir. Can someone give me a pointer as to what I am doing wrong? #!/bin/sh if file "$@" | grep "with CRLF"; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: kwatt019
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Solution for replacement of 4th column with 3rd column in a file using awk/sed preserving delimters

input "A","B","C,D","E","F" "S","T","U,V","W","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","EEEE","FFF" required output: "A","B","C,D","C,D","F" "S", T","U,V","U,V","X" "AA","BB","CC,DD","CC,DD","FFF" tried using awk but double quotes not preserving for every field. any help to solve this is much... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: khblts
5 Replies
delete(n)							    [incr Tcl]								 delete(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
delete - delete things in the interpreter SYNOPSIS
itcl::delete option ?arg arg ...? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
The delete command is used to delete things in the interpreter. It is implemented as an ensemble, so extensions can add their own options and extend the behavior of this command. By default, the delete command handles the destruction of namespaces. The option argument determines what action is carried out by the command. The legal options (which may be abbreviated) are: delete class name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] classes called name. This deletes all objects in the class, and all derived classes as well. If an error is encountered while destructing an object, it will prevent the destruction of the class and any remaining objects. To destroy the entire class without regard for errors, use the "delete namespace" command. delete object name ?name...? Deletes one or more [incr Tcl] objects called name. An object is deleted by invoking all destructors in its class hierarchy, in order from most- to least-specific. If all destructors are successful, data associated with the object is deleted and the name is removed as a command from the interpreter. If the access command for an object resides in another namespace, then its qualified name can be used: itcl::delete object foo::bar::x If an error is encountered while destructing an object, the delete command is aborted and the object remains alive. To destroy an object without regard for errors, use the "rename" command to destroy the object access command. delete namespace name ?name...? Deletes one or more namespaces called name. This deletes all commands and variables in the namespace, and deletes all child names- paces as well. When a namespace is deleted, it is automatically removed from the import lists of all other namespaces. KEYWORDS
namespace, proc, variable, ensemble itcl 3.0 delete(n)