Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support Replace nth position character of all the lines in file Post 302686267 by raj_saini20 on Tuesday 14th of August 2012 08:07:38 AM
Old 08-14-2012
try this
Code:
awk '{$3=" = "$3;print}' filename

output is
Code:
assgin crclk  = unit1 unit2
assign tap  = signal_a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Replace nth character in a file with a period

Hi all, If you look at the example below,I want to replace the 21st character (,) with a period (.). I have 1000 records in a file can someone help me how to do that. Thankyou all in advance. "2008-07-15... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackhawk_123
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines with specific character at nth position in a file

I need to print lines with character S at nth position in a file...can someone pl help me with appropriate awk command for this (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: manaswinig
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to replace character on defined position

I need to replace the character on 6th position. If this character is 1 I have to repleace it with A, if it is 2 than I have to replace it with B. If it is not 1 or 2 I should not repleace it. input: abcd defg abcd 1efg mnop weac rstu 2bcd i need: abcd defg abcd Aefg mnop weac rstu... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: necroman08
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace character in certain position in a string

Hello everyone this is my first post of many to come :) I am writing a script and in this script at one point i need to replace a character in a particular position in a string for example: in the string "mystery" i would need to replace the 3rd position to an "r" so the string becomes... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snipaa
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find character and Replace character for given position

Hi, i want find the character '-' in a file from position 284-298, if it occurs i need to replace it with 'O ' for the position in the file. How to do that using SED command. thanks in advance, Sara (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sara183
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find nth position of character in string

Hi guyz i want to know nth position of character in string. For ex. var="UK,TK,HK,IND,AUS" now if we see 1st occurance of , is at 3 position, 2nd at 6,..4th at 13 position. 1st position we can find through INDEX, but what about 2nd,3rd and 4th or may be upto nth position. ? In oracle we had... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jonty Immortal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk script to replace nth character with comma

I have a requirement as below. In one of my column, I have data which may or may not be separted with coma always. Now I need to validate the length of these text within the coma (if available) and if the length is more than 30 characters, I need to insert a coma either at 30 characters if its... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aramacha
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace nth to nth character?

Hi I got the following problem and I wonder if some could please help me out? I'd like to replace character 8 - 16 , 16 - 24 cat file ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stinkefisch
2 Replies

10. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Search for a pattern and replace a space at specific position with a Character in File

In file, we have millions of records each of 1000 in length. And at specific position say 800 there is a space, we need to replace it with Character X if the ID in that row starts with 123. So far i have used the below which is replacing space at that position to X but its not checking for... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jagmeet Singh
3 Replies
XML::SAX::Tap(3pm)					User Contributed Perl Documentation					XML::SAX::Tap(3pm)

NAME
XML::SAX::Tap - Tap a pipeline of SAX processors SYNOPSIS
use XML::SAX::Machines qw( Pipeline Tap ) ; my $m = Pipeline( "UpstreamFilter", Tap( "My::Reformatter", *STDERR ), "DownstreamFilter", ); my $m = Pipeline( "UpstreamFilter", Tap( "| xmllint --format -" ), "DownstreamFilter", ); DESCRIPTION
XML::SAX::Tap is a SAX machine that passes each event it receives on to a brach handler and then on down to it's main handler. This allows debugging output, logging output, validators, and other processors (and machines, of course) to be placed in a pipeline. This differs from XML::Filter::Tee, XML::Filter::SAXT and XML::SAX::Distributer in that a tap is also a pipeline; it contains the processoring that handles the tap. It's like XML::Filter::Tee in that the events are not buffered; each event is sent first to the tap, and then to the branch (this is different from XML::SAX::Dispatcher, which buffers the events). It's like XML::SAX::Pipeline in that it contains a series of processors in a pipeline; these comprise the "tapping" processors: +----------------------------------------------+ | Tap instance | | | | Intake | | +-----+ +---------+ +---------+ | upstream --+->| Tee |--->| Stage_0 |--...-->| Stage_N | | | +-----+ +---------+ +---------+ | | | | Exhaust | | +----------------------------------+--> downstream | | +----------------------------------------------+ The events are not copied, since they may be data structures that are difficult or impossibly to copy properly, like parts of a C-based DOM implementation. Events go to the tap first so that you can validate events using a tap that throws exceptions and they will be acted on before the tap's handler sees them. This machine has no "Exhaust" port (see XML::SAX::Machine for details about "Intake" and "Exhaust" ports). METHODS
new my $tap = XML::SAX::Tap->new( @tap_processors, \%options ); AUTHOR
Barrie Slaymaker <barries@slaysys.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2002, Barrie Slaymaker, All Rights Reserved You may use this module under the terms of the Artistic, GNU Public, or BSD licenses, as you choose. perl v5.10.0 2009-06-11 XML::SAX::Tap(3pm)