Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Eliminate Hyphenated Words in Grep Post 302686009 by sudon't on Monday 13th of August 2012 08:46:29 PM
Old 08-13-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by in2nix4life
is this what you're trying to do?

Code:
cat file 

one
two-three
four-five
six seven
eight

grep -v '\-' file 

one
six seven
eight

Yes, that is precisely what I'm trying to do. Although, I am no longer trying, I am doing. Thank you.

God, the 'v' flag.... [head shaking]....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep for two or more words in a line at the same time?

I want to search a heap of files but using an either OR or AND condition for two or more strings. How can I do this? i.e. file1 has the following file testfile primary and file2 has this ... file testfile2 secondary If I use this ... find . -type f -exec grep "testfile" {}... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ElCaito
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

find words with grep....

I have a .txt file which contains several lines of text. I need to write a script program using grep or any other unix tool so as to detect part of the text (words) between / / that begin with the symbol ~. For example if somewhere in the text appears a webpage address like... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: chrisxgr
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep Three Words

I have been trying to find files containing the words AAA, BBB and CCC. I tried: grep AAA `grep BBB files*` grep CCC files* but is does not work I tried several ways this is an easy one but I am a dummy, Does anyone can help me? Thanks :( (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: murbina
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep for two or more words in a line at the same time ...

I have a file that has multiple lines separated by an asterisk as a delimiter: FILE.txt A*123*BCD*456*TOM A*789*EFG*947*CHRIS A*840*BCD*456*TOM I would like to search multiple files for the strings 'BCD' AND 'TOM' and return the number of lines, per file, that match these two reg... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: doza22
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep words from output file

Hi, By using shell scripit i have save output in one file. I want to grep two words named CLUSTER and CLUSQMGR from that output file. How to grep that. output file would be having below words TYPE(QCLUSTER) ALTDATE(2010-05-17) CLUSTER(QS.CL.MFT1) ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: darling
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for words in file

Hi Please can you help me on this: How to grep for multiple words in a file, BUT for every word found output it to a new line. regards FR (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: fretagi
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep words from txt

Queue on node in domain description : type : local max message len : 104857600 max queue depth : 5000 queue depth max event : enabled persistent msgs : yes backout threshold : 0 msg delivery seq :... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep multiple words with not null value

Hi, I want to grep a file if any one (GH, IJ, KL) is not null. If it is null i dont want to pull anything. cat file | awk '{print ($1)}' Parameters are : AB=123;CD=456;EF=6789; cat file | awk '{print ($2)}' GH=456;IJ=789;KL=1011 eg: Contents in file: Parameters are :... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neethu
10 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Grep words with X doubles only

Hi! I'm trying to figure out how to find words with X number of doubles, only. I'm searching a dictionary, (one word per line). For instance, if you want to find words containing only one pair of double letters, you could do something like this: egrep '(.)\1' wordlist.txt |egrep -v '(.)\1.*(.)\2'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudon't
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to grep the words with space between?

see I have a text like: 27-MAY 14:00 4 aaa 5.30 0.01 27-MAY 14:00 3 aaa 0.85 0.00 27-MAY 14:00 2 aaa 1.09 0.00 27-MAY 14:00 5 aaa 0.03 0.00 27-MAY 14:00... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
3 Replies