Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris 11 server as Primary Domain Controller Post 302685953 by wgkorb on Monday 13th of August 2012 05:12:38 PM
Old 08-13-2012
Dave,

Thanks for your reply. I have actually already reviewed the SMB and Windows Interoperability manual. That details joining and existing AD domain, but the problem is, we don't run AD. That blog post covers pretty much the same information as the manual released w/ S11.

It looks to me like if I want to run things in the same configuration I have today, I can't use the built-in SMB/CIFS support, and have to run Samba just as I do on S10.

Thanks,
Bill

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Linux as a Domain Controller

First question, can Linux be configured to be the domain controller on a network with Microsoft computers? If so, where can I find information about configuring Linux for this purpose? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cstovall
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

home network - can you have a primary name server, or only a caching-only name server

i'm setting up a solaris 9 box to be my home network's DNS server. actually it's up and running, but it's set as a caching-only name server. can i set it up to be the primary name server? what are the advantages if i can set it up to be a primary name server vs. a caching only name server? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xyyz
3 Replies

3. AIX

Sync AIX system time with Windows Domain Controller

Yeah so, I have setup a domain controller (windows 2003) active directory machine and it is managing couple of windows servers and workstation. I also have couple of AIX machines that need to have the same time as other windows server and workstation hanging off of that domain controller. Now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: murderfly
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Samba change domain controller

Hello people i have a samba and they changed domain controller from a windows 2003 to a windows 2008, there is a problem with the version of samba maybe incompatibilities i dont know what show me this domain_client_validate: unable to validate password for user xxxx in domain xxxx to Domain... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
0 Replies

5. Debian

Testing a SAMBA Domain Controller

Hello,,, We have an existing(working) MS PDC in our office. I have already installed SAMBA with LDAP Authentication on a TEST machine (on same LAN). But, am unable to join a WinXP machine to this domain. in smb.conf i have: WORKGROUP = mydomain and tried to join the XP machine to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: coolatt
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to fix these preoblems in samba in order to act as domain controller

Dear all I now working on samba in order to act as domain controller, but I have some problems in the configuration file that I don't how to solve it, so I hope you able to give me some help: the warnings and the configuration I made : dos charset = 850 unix charset = ISO8859-1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
0 Replies

7. Red Hat

How to create domain controller in Linux for windows client?

Hi Team I have configured a linux dns server locally. Its fully working on linux clients but not windows client as its can't ping host by name. someone told me to create domain controller for working this to windows client as well. I am new in linux and not aware how to create the domain and add... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: boby.kumar
8 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ubuntu Server 14.04 LTS - domain controller configuration (SAMBA)

Hello! Never configured a Linux server from a scratch. Reviewed the official documentation and dozens of different "how to", but now one of them helped me to solve the issue. The need: My final goal is to install a small network (later with around 10 stations) where I can controle the... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: AQwert
0 Replies

9. Solaris

How to list physical CPU on primary domain?

How to list physical CPU on primary domain? Sparc SPARC T5-4 psrinfo -p 1 in ILOM I see Processors: 4 / 4 (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: thomasj
2 Replies
FINDSMB(1)							   User Commands							FINDSMB(1)

NAME
findsmb - list info about machines that respond to SMB name queries on a subnet SYNOPSIS
findsmb [subnet broadcast address] DESCRIPTION
This perl script is part of the samba(7) suite. findsmb is a perl script that prints out several pieces of information about machines on a subnet that respond to SMB name query requests. It uses nmblookup(1) and smbclient(1) to obtain this information. OPTIONS
-r Controls whether findsmb takes bugs in Windows95 into account when trying to find a Netbios name registered of the remote machine. This option is disabled by default because it is specific to Windows 95 and Windows 95 machines only. If set, nmblookup(1) will be called with -B option. subnet broadcast address Without this option, findsmb will probe the subnet of the machine where findsmb(1) is run. This value is passed to nmblookup(1) as part of the -B option. EXAMPLES
The output of findsmb lists the following information for all machines that respond to the initial nmblookup for any name: IP address, NetBIOS name, Workgroup name, operating system, and SMB server version. There will be a '+' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are local master browsers for that workgroup. There will be an '*' in front of the workgroup name for machines that are the domain master browser for that workgroup. Machines that are running Windows for Workgroups, Windows 95 or Windows 98 will not show any information about the operating system or server version. The command with -r option must be run on a system without nmbd(8) running. If nmbd is running on the system, you will only get the IP address and the DNS name of the machine. To get proper responses from Windows 95 and Windows 98 machines, the command must be run as root and with -r option on a machine without nmbd running. For example, running findsmb without -r option set would yield output similar to the following IP ADDR NETBIOS NAME WORKGROUP/OS/VERSION --------------------------------------------------------------------- 192.168.35.10 MINESET-TEST1 [DMVENGR] 192.168.35.55 LINUXBOX *[MYGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.6] 192.168.35.56 HERBNT2 [HERB-NT] 192.168.35.63 GANDALF [MVENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.5a for IRIX] 192.168.35.65 SAUNA [WORKGROUP] [Unix] [Samba 1.9.18p10] 192.168.35.71 FROGSTAR [ENGR] [Unix] [Samba 2.0.0 for IRIX] 192.168.35.78 HERBDHCP1 +[HERB] 192.168.35.88 SCNT2 +[MVENGR] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] 192.168.35.93 FROGSTAR-PC [MVENGR] [Windows 5.0] [Windows 2000 LAN Manager] 192.168.35.97 HERBNT1 *[HERB-NT] [Windows NT 4.0] [NT LAN Manager 4.0] VERSION
This man page is correct for version 3 of the Samba suite. SEE ALSO
nmbd(8), smbclient(1), and nmblookup(1) AUTHOR
The original Samba software and related utilities were created by Andrew Tridgell. Samba is now developed by the Samba Team as an Open Source project similar to the way the Linux kernel is developed. The original Samba man pages were written by Karl Auer. The man page sources were converted to YODL format (another excellent piece of Open Source software, available at ftp://ftp.icce.rug.nl/pub/unix/) and updated for the Samba 2.0 release by Jeremy Allison. The conversion to DocBook for Samba 2.2 was done by Gerald Carter. The conversion to DocBook XML 4.2 for Samba 3.0 was done by Alexander Bokovoy. Samba 3.5 06/18/2010 FINDSMB(1)