Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting overwrite only if both files are the same size Post 302685233 by alister on Saturday 11th of August 2012 03:20:41 PM
Old 08-11-2012
Agreed, RudiC. stat or even ls would be more efficient (much more so if the file's are large) than reading every byte.

Regards,
Alister

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Overwrite

if i want to pipe output to a file, say, cat abc.dat > abc.txt, how do i make it replace the existing file? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duckman
9 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script working for small size files but not for big size files.

Hi, I have one file stat. Stat file contents are as follows: for example. H50768020040913,00260100,507680,13,0000000643,0000000643,00000,0000 H50769520040808,00260100,507695,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 H50770620040611,00260100,507706,13,0000000000,0000000000,00000,0000 Now i... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: davidpreml
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

This script cut size of files "Lol" change string in files

Basic: find . -type f -name “*.txt” -print | awk '{gsub("Ontem", "AntesdeOntem", $0); print > FILENAME}' *.txt The idea is in folder /home/myapontamentos I have some files and i need to change in all them the word "ontem" to "antesdeontem". But bigger files are cut (size i mean)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: single
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files overwrite in awk

Hi guys, I checked the knowledge base before posting this question. is there any way by which you can ALWAYS ALLOW file overwrite in AWK?. i.e. an option similar to noclobber in Korn shell. I don't to check for files existence and remove them. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Moon Noon
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Merge files of differrent size with one field common in both files using awk

hi, i am facing a problem in merging two files using awk, the problem is as stated below, file1: A|B|C|D|E|F|G|H|I|1 M|N|O|P|Q|R|S|T|U|2 AA|BB|CC|DD|EE|FF|GG|HH|II|1 .... .... .... file2 : 1|Mn|op|qr (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi1982
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

copy only new files or files of a different size

hello i would like to copy files from 1 location to a nother, but it has only to copy files which are newer or have a different filesize. all has to be logged to a copy.log file (als skipped files should be in the log) is this possible with the cp command (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arnoldg
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to delete some of the files in the directory, if the directory size limits the specified size

To find the whole size of a particular directory i use "du -sk /dirname".. but after finding the direcory's size how do i make conditions like if the size of the dir is more than 1 GB i hav to delete some of the files inside the dir (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: shaal89
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Files have same size

Hello, I want remove files have same size in a directory. this command only find this files. ls -l | awk '$1!~/^d/{if(size!=""){ print}size=$8}' I want to remove the files of the same size. samples: 5 files are same size. I want to keep only first file. Thank you very much for your help. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hoo
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare two files, then overwrite first file with only that in both files

I want to compare two files, and search for items that are in both. Then override the first file with that containing only elements which were in both files. I imagine something with diff, but not sure. File 1 One Two Three Four Five File 2 One Three Four Six Eight (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: castrojc
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare file size and then copy/overwrite

// Redhat I have this code working, but need to add one more qualification so that I don't overwrite the files. #!/bin/sh cd /P2/log/cerner_prod/millennium/archive/ for f in * do || continue #If this isn't a regular file, skip it. && continue #If a backup already... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daniel Gate
2 Replies
cpio(4) 						     Kernel Interfaces Manual							   cpio(4)

NAME
cpio - format of cpio archive DESCRIPTION
The header structure, when the option of is not used (see cpio(1)), is: When the option is used, the header information is described by: Longtime and Longfile are equivalent to and respectively. The contents of each file are recorded together with other items describing the file. Every instance of contains the constant 070707 (octal). The items through have meanings explained in stat(2). The length of the null-terminated path name including the null byte, is given by The last record of the archive always contains the name Directories and the trailer are recorded with equal to zero. It will not always be the case that and correspond to the results of but the values are always sufficient to tell whether two files in the archive are linked to each other. When a device special file is archived by HP-UX (using the option), contains a magic constant which is dependent upon the implementation doing the writing. flags the device file as an HP-UX 32-bit device specifier, and contains the 32-bit device specifier (see stat(2)). If the option is not present, special files are not archived or restored. Non-HPUX device special files are never restored. SEE ALSO
cpio(1), find(1), stat(2). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
cpio(4)