Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: awk to indent file outout
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk to indent file outout Post 302685121 by SkySmart on Friday 10th of August 2012 07:07:28 PM
Old 08-10-2012
awk to indent file outout

i have a file that contains information such as this:

Code:
hostname.sky.net     ===     12.39.59.35
hostname-newyork.sky.net      ====      13.45.35.24

As you can see here, because the hostname containing "newyork" is longer, it messes up the alignment of the output.

how can i make awk tab each line so they are perfected aligned?

the preferred output would be something like:

Code:
hostname.sky.net                ====      12.39.59.35
hostname-newyork.sky.net        ====      13.45.35.24

I tried this:

Code:
awk '{printf "\t% s\t% s\t% s\t% s\n",$1,$2,$3,$4}'

but i'm sure it is just wrong.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Auto indent in vi

Hi, I use vi for my text editing. Is there a way to use smart indentation? that is when adding a '{' or '}' that the editor will jump and advance, or any other thing like that? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sierra_aar
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vim indent

I know this is not a unix question but I also know that many of you use vim editor every day. So hoping to get some help, here it goes: How can I change my vim config file so that the indentations while c programming take 4 spaces instead of 8? I want the change to apply any further uses of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Virtuosso
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi auto indent whole file at once

Hi, I'm working on a big project and all the CPP and header files are in mess with respect to indentation. I would like to indent whole file(s) at once (like ctrl-shift-f in eclipse). Is there anybody who knows how to do that in vi/vim? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SaTYR
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating/using libraries Perl...blank outout?

Good morning!! Im trying to create a script that should get a list of numbers from the user (using STDIN or a list of arguments), and call my library function. #!use/bin/perl require 'my-lib.pl'; @userArray = <STDIN>; while() { chomp; last if ! /\d/; push(@userArray,&_); }... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigben1220
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

gvim: how to set new indent to a file (tabsize)

Hi, I'm working with gvim, and opened an old file for editing. the file 'older' indents are diffrent from the current and I wish to set the file to cahnge the whole file to the new indenting setting at once. How can it be done? thnx. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: cvs_eng
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to indent the file lines using vi?

Every now and then I have to indent the lines in my script to 4 space characters. I generally do it line by line. Is there an automated command in vi using which I can indent some set of lines to desired number of space characters in one go. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paragkalra
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting requestName from xml outout in log file

hi all, i was wondering if there is an easy and smart way of greping for requestname (in bold below) from xml output from application log file on a solaris 10 system. The requestName is the actual method name which gets called e.g it could be 'getAccount' or getId or getAddress etc etc ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replicating jobs, renaming outout

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to write a script that will repeat the same job several times but give the output a slightly different name each time (i.e. change or add a number at the end of the output file)? Here is the script I use to run a single job: #!/bin/bash #PBS -N job0 #PBS -l... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: peterjb100
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Python indent - how do you do it?

A space, a tab? Just currious what, why, you indent in x way? Fwiw, I use vi, so kind'a currious how you vi folks approach indentation when writing code (eg python). Disclosure, I'm just learning python and have never seen a language use indentation so formally (I like it too:) ). I just... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sas
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sql command inside shell script runs without giving anything back as outout

#!/bin/sh # This script returns the number of rows updated from a function echo "The execution is starting ....." sqlplus -silent $UP <<EOF set serveroutput on set echo off set pagesize 0 VAR no_rows_updated NUMBER; EXEC :no_rows_updated :=0; DECLARE CURSOR c_update is SELECT * FROM... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: LoneRanger
4 Replies
susa2(1)						      General Commands Manual							  susa2(1)

Name
       susa2 - Find USNO-SA2.0 Catalog stars in a square on the sky

Synopsis
       susac [options] [-b or -j] ra dec

Description
       suac  finds all of the U.S. Naval Observatory SA2.0 Catalog objects in a specified region of the sky and lists their sky positions and mag-
       nitudes in order of brightness. Output is to standard out, unless the -w  flag  is  set,  in  which  case  it  goes  to	objectname.uac	or
       search.uac. It is a link to scat.

Options
       -a  list  single  closest  catalog  source  -b <RA> <Dec> Output B1950 (FK4) coordinates around this center -d Sort by distance from center
       instead of flux -h Print heading, else do not -j <RA> <Dec> Output J2000 (FK5) coordinates  around  this  center  -m  [<bright  magnitude>]
       <faint  magnitude>  Limiting  catalog  magnitude(s)  (default none, bright -2 if only faint is given) -n <num> Number of brightest stars to
       print -o <name> Object name used to name output file -r <radius> Search radius in arcsec (default 10) -s Sort by right ascension instead of
       flux  -t  Tab  table  to standard output as well as file -u <num> Plate number for catalog sources (0=all) -v Verbose listing of processing
       intermediate results -w Write tab table output file imagename.uac

See Also
       scat(1), sua2(1), imusa2(1), sgsc(1)

Author
       Doug Mink, SAO (dmink@cfa.harvard.edu)

9 June 2000								WCS								  susa2(1)