Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting bash commands to change processor Post 302685059 by jim mcnamara on Friday 10th of August 2012 02:56:57 PM
Old 08-10-2012
Use the taskset command. You need some privilege to use it.

The syntax is:
Code:
for i in something
do
 taskset [cpumask]  command $i  &
 taskset [cpumask]  command2 $i  &
 taskset [cpumask]  command3 $i  &
wait
done

[cpumaskl] is a hexadecimal mask : 0x00000001 is processor #1
you may also need to redirect stdout and stderr for the taskset.... & line, depending on what the command is.
Try the man page for taskset.
This User Gave Thanks to jim mcnamara For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Linux

Commands for OS patch, processor and disk partition

Hi All, Can anybody please help me with finding commands on LINUX for the following: processor: Availability PowerManagementSupported Description also for OS patch i need to know the following info: SeverityRating ServicePackInEffect for disk partition: Description BlockSize ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Veenak15
1 Replies

2. AIX

LPAR processor/virtual processor settings

Question is on setting of Physical and Virtual processors for LPARs to make proper use of virtualization capabilities. Environment is a 8-way p570 with 4 LPARs. lparVIO1 and lparVIO2: AIX 5300-04-01 Mode/Type= Shared-SMT/Capped Minimum Processors= 0.10 Desired Processors= 0.50 Maximum... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: guttew
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

running commands from outside of bash

Hello all! I have two consoles.I know the PID of these two.Now I want to execute a command in console#1 but from console#2. How can I achieve this? Anyone can do something for my query? Click here if you can't understand my query or to know the need for this query. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakabarp
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can BASH execute commands on a remote server when the commands are embedded in shell

I want to log into a remote server transfer over a new config and then backup the existing config, replace with the new config. I am not sure if I can do this with BASH scripting. I have set up password less login by adding my public key to authorized_keys file, it works. I am a little... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bash_in_my_head
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash scripts as commands

Hello, the bulk of my work is run by scripts. An example is as such: #!/bin/bash awk '{print first line}' Input.in > Intermediate.ter awk '{print second line}' Input.in > Intermediate_2.ter command Intermediate.ter Intermediate_2.ter > Output.out It works the way I want it to, but it's not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Leo_Boon
1 Replies

6. AIX

Change processor compatibility mode without hmc

Hello, One of my colleagues is working on a p730 without HMC, only one LPAR has all resources. The server is showing some issues with Informix (10.00 & 11.50), the same config (OS & IFX) works perfectly on Power6 so I would like to ask him to change the processor compatibility mode to power6 on... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fapl
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regarding change in column numbers after some commands

Hi All, I was using some commands to: replace a column by a constant string character awk -v a=CA 'NF>1{ $3=a; print; } ' $line>$line"_1" to copy a column and paste it in another place awk '$5=$2" "$5' $line>$line"_2" to delete the extra columns awk '{for(i=1;i<=NF;i++)... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: CAch
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line?

How to run several bash commands put in bash command line without needing and requiring a script file. Because I'm actually a windows guy and new here so for illustration is sort of : $ bash "echo ${PATH} & echo have a nice day!" will do output, for example:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdulbadii
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using commands within bash script

The purpose of enclosed script is to execute selected command and output success or failure in whiptail msgBox Works as expected when command returns zero to msgBox. I cannot figure out how to continue / automate my script when command expects reply to continue / terminate. I am doing it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: annacreek
2 Replies

10. Solaris

How to change pset.size value in processor set in Solaris zone?

Hi I have a pool name yuk-pool and its associated pset is yuk-pset. It has a min value is 20 and max value is 56. But size field has 48 value . This same pool is assign to 4 local zones. Whenever Cpu usage is high on one local zone it impact the cpu usage at other local zone as well during high... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sb200
1 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - retrieve or set a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [arg]... taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its PID or to launch a new COMMAND with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks are typically given in hexadecimal. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1 0xFFFFFFFF is all processors (#0 through #31). When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -c, --cpu-list Specify a numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. The numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For exam- ple: 0,5,7,9-11. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process. Any user can retrieve the affinity mask. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_setaffinity(2), sched_getaffinity(2) See sched_setscheduler(2) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux April 2003 TASKSET(1)