Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to check if the same file exists multiple times? Post 302685051 by megha2525 on Friday 10th of August 2012 02:45:01 PM
Old 08-10-2012
HiCorona688

I do agree with you but I am developing a script that handles exceptions like these just in case.

Thanks everyone.

Megha

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if a file exists with certain prefix

Hi guys, How would i check a file exists with certainprefix? i have a directory with some files: ABC1 ABC2 ABC3 etc.. and want to do: please note i am using the korn shell environment.As when i gone through some stuff on then net i came to know some of the options will work... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: raoscb
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

check a file is exists in multiple tar file?

I have list of ‘tar' format files in a folder. I want to check a particular file is exists in the tar files. Currently I am using the below command to check the scenario. tar -tvf first.tar | grep ‘myfile.txt' The command able to searched a single ‘tar' file only. But I want to search... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: k_manimuthu
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check to see if a file exists?

Hi. I'd like to have an IF-Then-Else statement where I can check to see if a file exists? We have the Bourne Shell by default. I'm looking for the syntax to do something like this: if myfile.txt exists then ...my code else ...my code end if Any help would be greatly... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to check file exists

Hi, I am trying to write a script which checks if any file exists with "*.log" or "*.out" in Directory below is the code #------------------ path=/abd/xyz/ if ; then echo "Good" else echo "Failure" fi #-------------------------- its always going to else part and printing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ch33ry
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash: check if file exists(without using if)

basically im trying to make this work in a bash shell script without using if statements if then echo testfile exists! fi what it does is check if the file exists or not i have this line but its not working, it checks if the testfile exists if it doesnt it 2> to the dev null... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gangsta
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check to see if a file exists?

I want to write a script to see if various files exist. What I want to do is have the script search in various directories if a file exist, and if not, then output something like "/path/file does not exist". I don't actually know of how to check and see if a file exists or not. What I have in mind... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: astropi
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

File exists, but cannot be opened.How to check- whether it could be opened to read when it exists

Hi #Testing for file existence if ; then echo 'SCHOOL data is available for processing' else echo 'SCHOOL DATA IS NOT AVAILABLE FOR PROCESSING' : i wrote a script, where it begins by checking if file exists or not. If it exists, it truncates the database... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rxg
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check if file exists or not

Hi, I want to check if the file exists or not in the directory. i am trying below code but not working. File="/home/va59657/Account_20090213*.dat" echo "$File" if ]; then echo "file found" else echo "file not found" fi However i am getting file not found even if file exits as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vivekit82
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

To check if file exists

Hi, I have the below code written. However I am not getting the desired output I am checking if the particular path has file in it. #!/bin/bash ls -l /IRS2/IRS2_ODI/INFILE/*LS* 1>/dev/null 2>/dev/null if then echo $? echo "File Exists" fi ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shanmugapriya D
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Check if file exists

I need to check whether a file exists and has been changed. The file should contain a specific string. The file should also have been changed within the last ten seconds. How do I do that? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: locoroco
3 Replies
TEST(1) 								FSF								   TEST(1)

NAME
test - check file types and compare values SYNOPSIS
test EXPRESSION [ EXPRESSION ] test OPTION DESCRIPTION
Exit with the status determined by EXPRESSION. --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit EXPRESSION is true or false and sets exit status. It is one of: ( EXPRESSION ) EXPRESSION is true ! EXPRESSION EXPRESSION is false EXPRESSION1 -a EXPRESSION2 both EXPRESSION1 and EXPRESSION2 are true EXPRESSION1 -o EXPRESSION2 either EXPRESSION1 or EXPRESSION2 is true [-n] STRING the length of STRING is nonzero -z STRING the length of STRING is zero STRING1 = STRING2 the strings are equal STRING1 != STRING2 the strings are not equal INTEGER1 -eq INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ge INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -gt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is greater than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -le INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than or equal to INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -lt INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is less than INTEGER2 INTEGER1 -ne INTEGER2 INTEGER1 is not equal to INTEGER2 FILE1 -ef FILE2 FILE1 and FILE2 have the same device and inode numbers FILE1 -nt FILE2 FILE1 is newer (modification date) than FILE2 FILE1 -ot FILE2 FILE1 is older than FILE2 -b FILE FILE exists and is block special -c FILE FILE exists and is character special -d FILE FILE exists and is a directory -e FILE FILE exists -f FILE FILE exists and is a regular file -g FILE FILE exists and is set-group-ID -h FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -L) -G FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective group ID -k FILE FILE exists and has its sticky bit set -L FILE FILE exists and is a symbolic link (same as -h) -O FILE FILE exists and is owned by the effective user ID -p FILE FILE exists and is a named pipe -r FILE FILE exists and is readable -s FILE FILE exists and has a size greater than zero -S FILE FILE exists and is a socket -t [FD] file descriptor FD (stdout by default) is opened on a terminal -u FILE FILE exists and its set-user-ID bit is set -w FILE FILE exists and is writable -x FILE FILE exists and is executable Beware that parentheses need to be escaped (e.g., by backslashes) for shells. INTEGER may also be -l STRING, which evaluates to the length of STRING. AUTHOR
Written by FIXME: ksb and mjb. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for test is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and test programs are properly installed at your site, the command info test should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 4.5.3 February 2003 TEST(1)