Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED: Pattern repitition regex matching Post 302685011 by Vryali on Friday 10th of August 2012 01:57:12 PM
Old 08-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
If /usr/bin/sed doesn't work, you might try /usr/xpg4/bin/sed, but I don't see anything in Oracle's Solaris 11 sed(1) man page indicating that this substitute command shouldn't work in both versions of sed.
Definitely doesn't work off-the-bat with 10, at least - however I didn't know about the xpg4 binaries and that version of sed -did- work, so I'm good to go. Thanks a lot!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching sed

MSG="THERE WERE XX RECORDS IN ERROR TABLE,AAAA, WHEN LOADING THE BBBB TABLE WITH EXTRACT FROM CCCC INTO TABLES FOR , DATABASE DDDD." echo "$MSG" > /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out I wan to replace XX with the content in $recordXX cat /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out|sed 's/XX/\$recordXX/g'| sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex/sed - matching any char,space,underscore between : and /

trying to remove the portion in red: Data: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $AI_SQL/wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $EDW_TMP/wkly.sql output to be: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql SED i'm trying to use: sed 's/:+\//: /g' input_file.dat >... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching

Hi, I have a file which contains a word like ravi and ravi30. i want to replace only the word ravi with xxx for that i am using the below sed command sed -e 's/ravi/xxx/g' . but the above command out put is xxx and xxx30 but i dont need to change ravi30 please guide me how to proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to awk (regex pattern) how?

Hello, I am trying to covert a for statement into a single awk script and I've got everything but one part. I also need to execute an external script when "not found", how can I do that ? for TXT in `find debugme -name "*.txt"` ;do FPATH=`echo $TXT | sed 's/\(.*\)\/\(.*\)/\1/'` how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to get first matching pattern

HI, I have a file: listenerport: - 1521 - 10520 - 10521 - 10522 - 10523 instances: listenerport: listenerport: - 1521 - 10540 - 10541 - 10542 - 10543 instances: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
5 Replies
largefile(5)                                            Standards, Environments, and Macros                                           largefile(5)

NAME
largefile - large file status of utilities DESCRIPTION
A large file is a regular file whose size is greater than or equal to 2 Gbyte ( 2**31 bytes). A small file is a regular file whose size is less than 2 Gbyte. Large file aware utilities A utility is called large file aware if it can process large files in the same manner as it does small files. A utility that is large file aware is able to handle large files as input and generate as output large files that are being processed. The exception is where additional files are used as system configuration files or support files that can augment the processing. For example, the file utility supports the -m option for an alternative "magic" file and the -f option for a support file that can contain a list of file names. It is unspecified whether a utility that is large file aware will accept configuration or support files that are large files. If a large file aware utility does not accept configuration or support files that are large files, it will cause no data loss or corruption upon encountering such files and will return an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware: adb awk bdiff cat chgrp chmod chown cksum cmp compress cp csh csplit cut dd dircmp du egrep fgrep file find ftp getconf grep gzip head join jsh ksh ln ls mdb mkdir mkfifo more mv nawk page paste pathchck pg rcp remsh rksh rm rmdir rsh sed sh sort split sum tail tar tee test touch tr uncompress uudecode uuencode wc zcat The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file aware: awk cp chgrp chown du egrep fgrep file grep ln ls more mv rm sed sh sort tail tr The following /usr/xpg6/bin utilities are large file aware: getconf ls tr The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware: install mkfile mknod mvdir swap See the USAGE section of the swap(1M) manual page for limitations of swap on block devices greater than 2 Gbyte on a 32-bit operating sys- tem. The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file aware: chown from ln ls sed sum touch The /usr/bin/cpio and /usr/bin/pax utilities are large file aware, but cannot archive a file whose size exceeds 8 Gbyte - 1 byte. The /usr/bin/truss utilities has been modified to read a dump file and display information relevant to large files, such as offsets. cachefs file systems The following /usr/bin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefspack cachefsstat The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for cachefs file systems: cachefslog cachefswssize cfsadmin fsck mount umount nfs file systems The following utilities are large file aware for nfs file systems: /usr/lib/autofs/automountd /usr/sbin/mount /usr/lib/nfs/rquotad ufs file systems The following /usr/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/lib/nfs utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: rquotad The following /usr/xpg4/bin utility is large file aware for ufs file systems: df The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file aware for ufs file systems: clri dcopy edquota ff fsck fsdb fsirand fstyp labelit lockfs mkfs mount ncheck newfs quot quota quotacheck quotaoff quotaon repquota tunefs ufsdump ufsrestore umount Large file safe utilities A utility is called large file safe if it causes no data loss or corruption when it encounters a large file. A utility that is large file safe is unable to process properly a large file, but returns an appropriate error. The following /usr/bin utilities are large file safe: audioconvert audioplay audiorecord comm diff diff3 diffmk ed lp mail mailcompat mailstats mailx pack pcat red rmail sdiff unpack vi view The following /usr/xpg4/bin utilities are large file safe: ed vi view The following /usr/xpg6/bin utility is large file safe: ed The following /usr/sbin utilities are large file safe: lpfilter lpforms The following /usr/ucb utilities are large file safe: Mail lpr The following /usr/lib utility is large file safe: sendmail SEE ALSO
lf64(5), lfcompile(5), lfcompile64(5) SunOS 5.10 7 Nov 2003 largefile(5)