Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED: Pattern repitition regex matching Post 302684999 by Vryali on Friday 10th of August 2012 12:53:56 PM
Old 08-10-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Cragun
I think he's looking for 1, 2, or 3 occurrence of a digit followed by an uppercase letter:
Code:
echo "This is a test 0A2B9C 0A 3B4C" | sed 's/\([0-9][A-Z]\)\{1,3\}/X/g'

Thanks so much, that's what I was looking for.

Edit: It works on Linux & AIX (Pretty sure it's running off GNU SED), doesn't work on Solaris by default. Any tips on Solaris, or alternate syntax? If it's not possible without GNU SED that's fine, just checking up.

Code:
# uname -s
SunOS
# echo "This is a test 0A2B9C 0A 3B4C" | sed 's/\([0-9][A-Z]\)\{1,3\}/X/g'
This is a test 0A2B9C 0A 3B4C

vs. Linux
Code:
$ uname -s
Linux
$ echo "This is a test 0A2B9C 0A 3B4C" | sed 's/\([0-9][A-Z]\)\{1,3\}/X/g'
This is a test X X X

vs. AIX:
Code:
# uname -s
AIX
# rpm -qa|grep sed
sed-4.1.1-1
# echo "This is a test 0A2B9C 0A 3B4C" | sed 's/\([0-9][A-Z]\)\{1,3\}/X/g'     
This is a test X X X

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching sed

MSG="THERE WERE XX RECORDS IN ERROR TABLE,AAAA, WHEN LOADING THE BBBB TABLE WITH EXTRACT FROM CCCC INTO TABLES FOR , DATABASE DDDD." echo "$MSG" > /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out I wan to replace XX with the content in $recordXX cat /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out|sed 's/XX/\$recordXX/g'| sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex/sed - matching any char,space,underscore between : and /

trying to remove the portion in red: Data: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $AI_SQL/wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $EDW_TMP/wkly.sql output to be: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql SED i'm trying to use: sed 's/:+\//: /g' input_file.dat >... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching

Hi, I have a file which contains a word like ravi and ravi30. i want to replace only the word ravi with xxx for that i am using the below sed command sed -e 's/ravi/xxx/g' . but the above command out put is xxx and xxx30 but i dont need to change ravi30 please guide me how to proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to awk (regex pattern) how?

Hello, I am trying to covert a for statement into a single awk script and I've got everything but one part. I also need to execute an external script when "not found", how can I do that ? for TXT in `find debugme -name "*.txt"` ;do FPATH=`echo $TXT | sed 's/\(.*\)\/\(.*\)/\1/'` how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to get first matching pattern

HI, I have a file: listenerport: - 1521 - 10520 - 10521 - 10522 - 10523 instances: listenerport: listenerport: - 1521 - 10540 - 10541 - 10542 - 10543 instances: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
5 Replies
IRDAPING(8)															       IRDAPING(8)

NAME
irdaping - sends IrDA test frames SYNOPSIS
irdaping [ daddr ] [ -s framesize ] OPTIONS
daddr ... -s framesize ... DESCRIPTION
This is a program similar to ping(8). It sends IrDA test frames (added some userdata which contains the frame number and the time the frame was sent). You can change the size of the frame by using the -s option. To get daddr you may use irdadump. irdaping must be run as root or installed setuid root, as it requires root privileges. EXAMPLES
irdaping <daddr> [-s <framesize>] You may use an alias, which does not use any parameter alias irping="irdaping `grep daddr /proc/net/irda/discovery|sed s/.*daddr://`" It works fine when there is only one discovered client. DIAGNOSTICS
N.N. BUGS
N.N. SEE ALSO
irattach(8), irdaping(8), irdadump(8), findchip(8), irpsion5(8), modprobe(8) Linux/IrDA Project http://irda.sourceforge.net -*- Linux/IrDA-Tutorial http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Jean_Tourrilhes/IrDA/index.html -*- Infrared-HOWTO http://tuxmobil.org/howtos.html AUTHOR
This manual page is written by Werner Heuser <wehe@tuxmobil.org>. It is based on the READMEs from irda-utils by the Linux/IrDA Project and the Linux/IrDA-Tutorial. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2001 Werner Heuser Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation; with no Invariant Sections, no Front-Cover Texts and no Back-Cover Texts. 03 July 2006 IRDAPING(8)