Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting SED: Pattern repitition regex matching Post 302684969 by Corona688 on Friday 10th of August 2012 11:36:57 AM
Old 08-10-2012
It's considering [0-9] and [A-Z] as separate ranges. So what you're asking for is actually a number, followed by one to three letters.

Try [0-9A-Z]

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pattern matching sed

MSG="THERE WERE XX RECORDS IN ERROR TABLE,AAAA, WHEN LOADING THE BBBB TABLE WITH EXTRACT FROM CCCC INTO TABLES FOR , DATABASE DDDD." echo "$MSG" > /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out I wan to replace XX with the content in $recordXX cat /tmp/mplanmsg.$$.out|sed 's/XX/\$recordXX/g'| sed... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: leemjesse
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Regex/sed - matching any char,space,underscore between : and /

trying to remove the portion in red: Data: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $AI_SQL/wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: $EDW_TMP/wkly.sql output to be: mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql mds_ar/bin/uedw92wp.ksh: wkly.sql SED i'm trying to use: sed 's/:+\//: /g' input_file.dat >... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: danmauer
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed pattern matching

Hi, I have a file which contains a word like ravi and ravi30. i want to replace only the word ravi with xxx for that i am using the below sed command sed -e 's/ravi/xxx/g' . but the above command out put is xxx and xxx30 but i dont need to change ravi30 please guide me how to proceed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi_rn
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - matching pattern one but not pattern two

All, I have the following file: -------------------------------------- # # /etc/pam.d/common-password - password-related modules common to all services # # This file is included from other service-specific PAM config files, # and should contain a list of modules that define the services... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobertBerrie
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - print only matching regex

Hi folks, Lets say I have the following text file: name, lastname, 1234, name.lastname@test.com name1, lastname1, name2.lastname2@test.com, 2345 name, 3456, lastname, name3.lastname3@test.com 4567, name, lastname, name4.lastname4@test.com I now need the following output: 1234... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: domi55
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed to awk (regex pattern) how?

Hello, I am trying to covert a for statement into a single awk script and I've got everything but one part. I also need to execute an external script when "not found", how can I do that ? for TXT in `find debugme -name "*.txt"` ;do FPATH=`echo $TXT | sed 's/\(.*\)\/\(.*\)/\1/'` how... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TehOne
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

blank space in regex pattern using sed

why does sed 's/.* //' show the last word in a line and sed 's/ .*//' show the first word in a line? How is that blank space before or after the ".*" being interpreted in the regex? i would think the first example would delete the first word and the next example would delete the second... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed: printing lines AFTER pattern matching EXCLUDING the line containing the pattern

'Hi I'm using the following code to extract the lines(and redirect them to a txt file) after the pattern match. But the output is inclusive of the line with pattern match. Which option is to be used to exclude the line containing the pattern? sed -n '/Conn.*User/,$p' > consumers.txt (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: essem
11 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

PHP - Regex for matching string containing pattern but without pattern itself

The sample file: dept1: user1,user2,user3 dept2: user4,user5,user6 dept3: user7,user8,user9 I want to match by '/^dept2.*/' but don't want to have substring 'dept2:' in output. How to compose such regex? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: urello
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Use sed to get first matching pattern

HI, I have a file: listenerport: - 1521 - 10520 - 10521 - 10522 - 10523 instances: listenerport: listenerport: - 1521 - 10540 - 10541 - 10542 - 10543 instances: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: netbanker
5 Replies
RE_COMP(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							RE_COMP(3)

NAME
re_comp, re_exec - BSD regex functions SYNOPSIS
#define _REGEX_RE_COMP #include <sys/types.h> #include <regex.h> char *re_comp(const char *regex); int re_exec(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
re_comp() is used to compile the null-terminated regular expression pointed to by regex. The compiled pattern occupies a static area, the pattern buffer, which is overwritten by subsequent use of re_comp(). If regex is NULL, no operation is performed and the pattern buffer's contents are not altered. re_exec() is used to assess whether the null-terminated string pointed to by string matches the previously compiled regex. RETURN VALUE
re_comp() returns NULL on successful compilation of regex otherwise it returns a pointer to an appropriate error message. re_exec() returns 1 for a successful match, zero for failure. ATTRIBUTES
For an explanation of the terms used in this section, see attributes(7). +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ |Interface | Attribute | Value | +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ |re_comp(), re_exec() | Thread safety | MT-Unsafe | +---------------------+---------------+-----------+ CONFORMING TO
4.3BSD. NOTES
These functions are obsolete; the functions documented in regcomp(3) should be used instead. SEE ALSO
regcomp(3), regex(7), GNU regex manual COLOPHON
This page is part of release 4.15 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, information about reporting bugs, and the latest version of this page, can be found at https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. GNU
2017-09-15 RE_COMP(3)