Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Cut Lines using grep
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Cut Lines using grep Post 302684859 by methyl on Friday 10th of August 2012 07:35:53 AM
Old 08-10-2012
Code:
# Assuming all your lines are in lower case
egrep "create table|alter table" file_a > file_b
# Or if they are mixed case or upper case
egrep -i "create table|alter table" file_a > file_b

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep and cut....

hi, i have a simple question: in hpux 11i; this cmd : cat mailtest |grep sekar >test1 gives the output file with the name test1. i want to remove the line which contains the "sekar" and put the result in the new file.... what is the command for that?.. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekar sundaram
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut sed grep or other?

Hi Is there a way to cut the last two characters off a word or number given that this word or number can be of varying length? I have tried something like TEST=`echo $OLD | cut -c 1-5` where $OLD is a variable containing a number like 1234567 which gives a result of 12345. This is fine... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rleebife
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

tail, grep and cut

Hello all, I have some weird problem that kinda baffles me. Say I have the following test file: claudia:~/tmp$ cat testfile.txt This is a test line This is the second test line And yeah, this is the third test line Then say I want to tail the file, grep for the word "third" then... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sylaan
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep and cut problem

Hello folks, I have to (e)grep out a certain pattern e.g. <TAG1> from a huge log file which does not have any space as such. The thing is that once I have 'grep'ed out the <TAG1> from the file I need to extract the content within the tags, i.e, <TAG1>Data_To_Be_Extracted</TAG1> The underlined... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rajat
9 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using grep and cut within awk

Hi My input file looks like as follows: say a.txt "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss cccccc","P06 09/10","dddddd" "aaaa cc","224 AW","ss... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: bittoo
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AIX equivalent to GNU grep's -B and -A [print lines after or before matching lines]

Hi folks I am not allowed to install GNU grep on AIX. Here my code excerpt: grep_fatal () { /usr/sfw/bin/gegrep -B4 -A2 "FATAL|QUEUE|SIGHUP" } Howto the same on AIX based machine? from manual GNU grep ‘--after-context=num’ Print num lines of trailing context after... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
4 Replies

7. Slackware

How should I cut this line using cut and grep?

not sure how to do it. wan't to delete it using cut and grep ince i would use it in the shell. but how must the command be? grep "64.233.181.103 wwwGoogle.com" /etc/hosts | cut -d the delimeter is just a space. can you help meplease. :D (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: garfish
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl XML, find matching condition and grep lines and put the lines somewhere else

Hi, my xml files looks something like this <Instance Name="New York"> <Description></Description> <Instance Name="A"> <Description></Description> <PropertyValue Key="false" Name="Building A" /> </Instance> <Instance Name="B"> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tententen
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep with cut option??

This is my command-line code in my script, passwd=`grep $passwd $userfile | cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve` the cut -f2 -d: login_users > retrieve searches and prints the whole column two. what I need is one of the items in the column two only.. what option can I add to my cut... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jenimesh19
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cut particular lines

All, I would like to cut all the lines from the log file for the timestamp . I'm not clear about how to apply grep ,awk here.Can you help me on this ? My logfile: ********** Wed Feb 20 03:48:26 2013 Thread 1 advanced to log sequence 400 (LGWR switch) Thu Feb 21 02:34:23 2013... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arul1185
1 Replies
cut(1)							      General Commands Manual							    cut(1)

Name
       cut - cut out selected fields of each line of a file

Syntax
       cut -clist [file1 file2...]
       cut -flist [-dchar] [-s] [file1 file2...]

Description
       Use  the  command to cut out columns from a table or fields from each line of a file.  The fields as specified by list can be fixed length,
       that is, character positions as on a punched card (-c option), or the length can vary from line to line and be marked with a  field  delim-
       iter character like tab (-f option).  The command can be used as a filter.  If no files are given, the standard input is used.

Use to make horizontal ``cuts'' (by context) through a file, or to put files together in columns.  To reorder columns in a table, use and

Options
       list	   Specifies  ranges  that must be a comma-separated list of integer field numbers in increasing order.  With optional - indicates
		   ranges as in the -o option of nroff/troff for page ranges; for example, 1,4,7; 1-3,8; -5,10 (short for 1-5,10);  or	3-  (short
		   for third through last field).

-clist	   Specifies character positions to be cut out.  For example, -c1-72 would pass the first 72 characters of each line.

-flist	   Specifies  the  fields  to be cut out.  For example, -f1,7 copies the first and seventh field only.	Lines with no field delim-
		   iters are passed through intact (useful for table subheadings), unless -s is specified.

-dchar	   Uses the specified character as the field delimiter.  Default is tab.  Space or other characters with special  meaning  to  the
		   shell must be quoted.  The -d option is used only in combination with the -f option, according to XPG3 and SVID2/SVID3.

-s	   Suppresses  lines  with  no	delimiter  characters.	 Unless  specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through untouched.
		   Either the -c or -f option must be specified.

Examples
       Mapping of user IDs to names:
       cut -d: -f1,5 /etc/passwd
       To set name to the current login name for the csh shell:
       set name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`
       To set name to the current login name for the sh, sh5, and ksh shells:
       name=`who am i | cut -f1 -d" "`

Diagnostics
       "line too long"	   A line can have no more than 511 characters or fields.

"bad list for c/f option"
			   Missing -c or -f option or incorrectly specified list.  No error occurs if a line has fewer fields than the list  calls
			   for.

"no fields"	   The list is empty.

See Also
       grep(1), paste(1)

cut(1)