Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Resolve variable inside another variable Post 302684539 by Corona688 on Thursday 9th of August 2012 05:25:55 PM
Old 08-09-2012
You either can't or won't tell me what the purpose of your program is. Nobody writes a program to "substitute in a variable", presumably that program has some actual use to you.

Fine, I'll do what I can without it.

You are doing it exactly backwards, which is why you are having so many problems. Set the variables first. Then make your query, letting it substitute the variables right then and there. That is the way variables are supposed to work. You'll get exactly what you want, quotes intact.

If possible, use it directly instead of storing it in a variable -- 30 lines is a lot to put in one variable, and you want to avoid splitting and accidental substitution anyway. You can use a here-document to stream something into a program, variables will substitute inside it:

Code:
databaseprogram <<EOF
Select '$ENV',t1.field1,t2.field2
        from $table1 t1,$table2 t2
        where t1.field1='$var1'
        and t2.field1='$var2'
EOF

Last edited by Corona688; 08-09-2012 at 06:49 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve a Variable

Hi I have a variable which is a path ie: UBERROR=/cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/wrk/../error is there anyway I can get the output of an echo to read: #echo $UBERROR /cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/error instead of #echo $UBERROR /cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/wrk/../error Many thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help :wall: I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve Environment Variable

I am tyring to resolve an environment variable that is part of a string I selected from our database. Simply put, I want cd to this folder before checking if a file exists. The variable $in_loc has the value '$PS_HOME/int/VSP' where $PS_HOME is the environment variable. I am using cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: consult_jb
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve parameter value stored in a variable

Hi All, I have below variable, xyz=\$AI_XFR Now, if you will run the below command => echo $xyz $AI_XFR It is returning hardcoded string value. Whereas in environment, there is value in it. Like below: => echo $AI_XFR /home/aditya/sandbox/xfr/ I need to resolve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgangwar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot resolve $variable in awk

My script ---------- for i in `cat n`;do export k=`echo "CSN: "$i` //combining CSN: and value from n echo "$k" awk ''{print "CSN: "$0;}'{_=29}_&&_--' file1|tail -1 >> file2 done In the above script i cannot able to resolve $k in awk command file n contains ------------ 0000 1111 2222... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohana29_1988
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies
GLGETUNIFORM(3G)						    OpenGL 3.3							  GLGETUNIFORM(3G)

NAME
glGetUniformfv, glGetUniformiv - Returns the value of a uniform variable C SPECIFICATION
void glGetUniformfv(GLuint program, GLint location, GLfloat *params); void glGetUniformiv(GLuint program, GLint location, GLint *params); PARAMETERS
program Specifies the program object to be queried. location Specifies the location of the uniform variable to be queried. params Returns the value of the specified uniform variable. DESCRIPTION
glGetUniform returns in params the value(s) of the specified uniform variable. The type of the uniform variable specified by location determines the number of values returned. If the uniform variable is defined in the shader as a boolean, int, or float, a single value will be returned. If it is defined as a vec2, ivec2, or bvec2, two values will be returned. If it is defined as a vec3, ivec3, or bvec3, three values will be returned, and so on. To query values stored in uniform variables declared as arrays, call glGetUniform for each element of the array. To query values stored in uniform variables declared as structures, call glGetUniform for each field in the structure. The values for uniform variables declared as a matrix will be returned in column major order. The locations assigned to uniform variables are not known until the program object is linked. After linking has occurred, the command glGetUniformLocation() can be used to obtain the location of a uniform variable. This location value can then be passed to glGetUniform in order to query the current value of the uniform variable. After a program object has been linked successfully, the index values for uniform variables remain fixed until the next link command occurs. The uniform variable values can only be queried after a link if the link was successful. NOTES
If an error is generated, no change is made to the contents of params. ERRORS
GL_INVALID_VALUE is generated if program is not a value generated by OpenGL. GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if program is not a program object. GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if program has not been successfully linked. GL_INVALID_OPERATION is generated if location does not correspond to a valid uniform variable location for the specified program object. ASSOCIATED GETS
glGetActiveUniform() with arguments program and the index of an active uniform variable glGetProgram() with arguments program and GL_ACTIVE_UNIFORMS or GL_ACTIVE_UNIFORM_MAX_LENGTH glGetUniformLocation() with arguments program and the name of a uniform variable glIsProgram() SEE ALSO
glCreateProgram(), glLinkProgram(), glUniform() COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2003-2005 3Dlabs Inc. Ltd. This material may be distributed subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the Open Publication License, v 1.0, 8 June 1999. http://opencontent.org/openpub/. OpenGL 3.3 03/08/2011 GLGETUNIFORM(3G)