Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grep line with all string in the lines and not space. Post 302684211 by Junes on Thursday 9th of August 2012 09:26:42 AM
Old 08-09-2012
Grep line with all string in the lines and not space.

I want to write the syntax so does not count line with no space.

So currerntly it is showing lines as 5, but i want to show 4.

Code:
# cat /tmp/mediacheck | sort -u  | grep -vi " " | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l

BA7552
BAA002
BAA003
BAA004

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Break lines up into single lines after each space in every line

It sounds a bit confusing but what I have is a text file like the example below (without the Line1, Line2, Line3 etc. of course) and I want to move every group of characters into a new line after each space. Example of text file; line1 .digg-widget-theme2 ul { background: rgb(0, 0, 0) none... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
7 Replies

2. AIX

grep not working when search string has a space in it

Hi, I am trying to grep a string which has two words separated by space. I used a script to grep the string by reading the string in to a variable command i used in the script is echo "enter your string" read str grep $str <file> it is working fine when the entered string is a single... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar gajjala
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines between two lines after grep for a text string

I have several very large file that are extracts from Oracle tables. These files are formatted in XML type syntax with multiple entries like: <ROW> some information more information </ROW> I want to grep for some words, then print all lines between <ROW> AND </ROW>. Can this be done with AWK?... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jbruce
7 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Matching exact string with blank space using grep

hi! i'm trying to get grep to do an exact match for the following pattern but..it's not quite working. I'm not too sure where did I get it wrong. any input is appreciated. echo "$VAR" | grep -q '^test:]name' if ; then printf "test name is not found \n" fi on... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jazzaddict
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string from input file and delete next three lines including the line contains string in xml

Hi, 1_strings file contains $ cat 1_strings /home/$USER/Src /home/Valid /home/Review$ cat myxml <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/Src"> <input 1/> <estimate value/> <somestring/> </projected> <few more lines > <projected value="some string" path="/home/$USER/check">... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: greet_sed
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a string until instance of a space

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble getting this to work using either sed or grep. It's possible awk might be the ticket I need as well, but my regulat expression skills aren't quite up to the task for doing this. I'm looking to grep for the string ERROR from the following log up until any... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: terrell
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep couple of consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

Hello, I want to extract from a file like : 20120530025502914 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025502968 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502985 | RESPONSE | whatever 20120530025502996 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503013 | REQUEST | whatever 20120530025503045 | RESPONSE | whatever I want... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: black_fender
14 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep a string and count following lines starting with another string

I have a large dataset with following structure; C 0001 Carbon D SAR001 methane D SAR002 ethane D SAR003 propane D SAR004 butane D SAR005 pentane C 0002 Hydrogen C 0003 Nitrogen C 0004 Oxygen D SAR011 ozone D SAR012 super oxide C 0005 Sulphur D SAR013... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Syeda Sumayya
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep three consecutive lines if each lines contains certain string

say we have : 2914 | REQUEST | whatever 2914 | RESPONSE | whatever 2914 | SUCCESS | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2986 | REQUEST | whatever 2990 | REQUEST | whatever 2985 | RESPONSE | whatever 2996 | REQUEST | whatever 2010 | SUCCESS | whatever 2013 | REQUEST | whatever 2013 |... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saumitra Pandey
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Grep command in Linux in a script where the search string has a space

I have a file xyz with the following content PPPL 0123 PPPL 0006 POFT 0923 POFT 1111 WENT 2323 SEND 2345 I also have another file named MasterFile where it contains the above mentioned data million times with different digits at the end for example some times it contains SEND 9999 or WENT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: knijjar
4 Replies
GREP(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   GREP(1)

NAME
grep - search a file for a pattern SYNOPSIS
grep [ option ... ] pattern [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Grep searches the input files (standard input default) for lines (with newlines excluded) that match the pattern, a regular expression as defined in regexp(6). Normally, each line matching the pattern is `selected', and each selected line is copied to the standard output. The options are -c Print only a count of matching lines. -h Do not print file name tags (headers) with output lines. -i Ignore alphabetic case distinctions. The implementation folds into lower case all letters in the pattern and input before interpre- tation. Matched lines are printed in their original form. -l (ell) Print the names of files with selected lines; don't print the lines. -L Print the names of files with no selected lines; the converse of -l. -n Mark each printed line with its line number counted in its file. -s Produce no output, but return status. -v Reverse: print lines that do not match the pattern. Output lines are tagged by file name when there is more than one input file. (To force this tagging, include /dev/null as a file name argument.) Care should be taken when using the shell metacharacters $*[^|()= and newline in pattern; it is safest to enclose the entire expression in single quotes '...'. SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/grep.c SEE ALSO
ed(1), awk(1), sed(1), sam(1), regexp(6) DIAGNOSTICS
Exit status is null if any lines are selected, or non-null when no lines are selected or an error occurs. GREP(1)