Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Resolve variable inside another variable Post 302684055 by vinay4889 on Thursday 9th of August 2012 06:23:09 AM
Old 08-09-2012
Corona,

I wanted to resolve a variable (say Table_1) which again is inside another varible (say Query = $Table_1 Join).Using double quotes (") I was able to it it for sample examples.

Now when I try to implement the same in the actual problem statement I have, it throws error.

Code:

Code:

resolvedQuery=echo "$mainQuery"

Error:

varibale_test.ksh[40]: <big variable name here> : name too long

And yes actually variable here is big. It is a sql query.

I tried below as well.

Code:

resolvedQuery=$( eval echo $(echo $mainQuery))

This works well , only problem is single quote characters are dissolved after resolution.

Example:

Code:

Query= $Table_1 Join $Table_2 where condition='abc'

After resolution it becomes:

Code:

Query=t1 Join t2 where condition=abc

Can you please help me find a way , to resolve big length variable keeping single quote (') intact.

Thanks,
Vinay

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh: A part of variable A's name is inside of variable B, how to update A?

This is what I tried: vara=${varb}_count (( vara += 1 )) Thanks for help (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pa3be
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve a Variable

Hi I have a variable which is a path ie: UBERROR=/cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/wrk/../error is there anyway I can get the output of an echo to read: #echo $UBERROR /cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/error instead of #echo $UBERROR /cobwrk/mchr/prodsup/ub/wrk/../error Many thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: serm
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable inside variable inside loop headache

Hi Gurus I have a file called /tmp/CMDB which looks like this serial: 0623AN1208 hostname: server1 model: x4100 assetID: 1234 I am writing a for loop that will go through this file line by line creating a variable of itself. Using the first iteration of the loop (i.e. the first line) as... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to store command inside a shell variable, and run the variable

Hi, I am trying to do the following thing var='date' $var Above command substitutes date for and in turn runs the date command and i am getting the todays date value. I am trying to do the same thing as following, but facing some problems, unique_host_pro="sed -e ' /#/d'... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gvinayagam
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

evaluating a variable inside a variable

Hi there, i think im getting myself a little confused and need some help :wall: I am reading in a bunch of variables to my script from an external file and need to validate that a value has been set for each so if you can imagine, the user is required to pass in 4 values... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rethink
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve Environment Variable

I am tyring to resolve an environment variable that is part of a string I selected from our database. Simply put, I want cd to this folder before checking if a file exists. The variable $in_loc has the value '$PS_HOME/int/VSP' where $PS_HOME is the environment variable. I am using cd... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: consult_jb
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Resolve parameter value stored in a variable

Hi All, I have below variable, xyz=\$AI_XFR Now, if you will run the below command => echo $xyz $AI_XFR It is returning hardcoded string value. Whereas in environment, there is value in it. Like below: => echo $AI_XFR /home/aditya/sandbox/xfr/ I need to resolve this... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: adgangwar
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cannot resolve $variable in awk

My script ---------- for i in `cat n`;do export k=`echo "CSN: "$i` //combining CSN: and value from n echo "$k" awk ''{print "CSN: "$0;}'{_=29}_&&_--' file1|tail -1 >> file2 done In the above script i cannot able to resolve $k in awk command file n contains ------------ 0000 1111 2222... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mohana29_1988
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

To print value for a $variable inside a $variable or file

Hi guys, I have a file "abc.dat" in below format: FILE_PATH||||$F_PATH TABLE_LIST||||a|b|c SYST_NM||||${SRC_SYST} Now I am trying to read the above file and want to print the value for above dollar variables F_PATH and SRC_SYST. The problem is it's reading the dollar variables as... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: abcabc1103
5 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2012 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.2 2012-10-11 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)