Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Change unix permission when I don't own the file Post 302683111 by merin on Tuesday 7th of August 2012 08:15:26 AM
Old 08-07-2012
Java Change unix permission when I don't own the file

Hi,

A file is transferred from a Windows server(say username : user1) to Unix server via ftp.
In unix, the permission of the file for a user, say user2 will be "-rw-r-----". Since the user1 is the owner of the file, user2 is not able to change the file permission using chmod.

Is there anyway that user2 can change the file permission and access it?

Thanks,
Merin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timestamp of File permission change

Hi!! Experts, Is there any way to find the timestamp when the permission of a file was modified?? I mean no change to file contents.. Just the chnage of permissions. :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyotipg
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to change the default permission of a file

I am creating a file using the UTL_FILE command of oracle. This creates a file with the oracle user id. The file does not have permission for being read by any other user id. Is there a way that I can change this default permission. I tried using umask in the .login. Setting the umask to 022 works... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: reachsamir
2 Replies

3. AIX

Change file permission by anothere user !

Guy's we are in AIX 5.3 We have created two users user1 and user2 and they are under same group Staff Group user1 will create file under /tmp/ and this is the permission of this file -rw-r--r-- 1 user1 staff 1 Jun 13 09:47 file user2 is under same group and when he... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: ITHelper
14 Replies

4. Red Hat

httpd : You don't have permission

i have httpd installed on RHEL5 webserver but i have linked #ln -s /rhelREPO /var/www/html/rhel5 /rhelREPO contains all 5cds of RHEL and it is a mount of /dev/sdb1 ip: 192.168.1.133 :works /var/www/html/index.html content is in browser ip: 192.168.1.133/rhel5 :does not work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dplinux
1 Replies

5. Solaris

setfacl don't change permission on group owner

I try to use setfacl command to change the permission of the group primary it does not accept the command , it really accept but don't change the permission on the group. the point here I read that if I use chmod command on group primary the mask changed, but if I use setfacl mask should not... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: hard_revenge
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the permission to previously used in unix ( chmod )

I have changed the premission of a file to 777. Now I would like to change permission to previously used ( UNDO ). Is there any command ?:confused: (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: frintocf
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change the file permission

Guys, I need help. I need to change the .txt file permission after I have reset the file content to 0. The code that reset the file content to 0 is as follows: #!/bin/sh for i in /root/script/*.txt do echo "0" > $i done However, the file is generated by the apache application,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasperux
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change permission on a file recursively

Hi, this is the structure of the directory /local/home/app/cases under cases directory, below are the sub directories and each directory has files. /local/home/app/cases/1 /local/home/app/cases/2 /local/home/app/cases/3 /local/home/app/cases/4 File types are .txt .sh and so... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookinginfo
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Change file permission of mounted drive Linux

I got a problem with the permission of mounted 2TB drive in my Linux/Mint system. All the files in any folder are with 777, which is not what I want. my fstab line for this disk is: UUID=90803E0C803DF974 /media/grape/Workspace1_ntfs ntfs auto,users,permissions 0 0 and blkid gave me: $> blkid ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need a script to create file permission change restriction

Hello, I am looking for a UNIX shell script which can help me for access restriction. 1) /home/ram, there are number file with .txt extension, which should be only owned "ram" user. like as below ls -lrt *.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 11 Jan 4 2015 PASS1.txt -rwx------ 1 ram dba 10 Jan 4... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mr.trilok
8 Replies
dspam_merge(1)							       DSPAM							    dspam_merge(1)

NAME
dspam_merge - merge several users' metadata into a composite SYNOPSIS
dspam_merge [--profile=PROFILE] user1 user2 ... userN -o username DESCRIPTION
dspam_merge merges several users' metadata into a single user's dictionary. This tool is designed to create global users and seeded data. The hit sounds for each token and per-user totals are added together to produce a single composite dataset. After creating a composite user, dspam_clean should be run with the -p option to clean up extraneous data. NOTE : Merges may take a considerable amount of time. This could potentially increase the load on the server or even slow down the delivery of email. A merge should only be performed when the system is fairly acquiesce. OPTIONS
--profile=PROFILE Specify a storage profile from dspam.conf. The storage profile selected will be used for all database connectivity. See dspam.conf for more information. user1 user2 ... userN A list of users to merge together. -o username The target user which will be created (if necessary). This user will contain the composite generated by the merge. EXAMPLES
dspam_merge dick jane spot -o ralph Merges the metadata dictionaries of dick, jane, and spot into a single composite under the user ralph EXIT VALUE
0 Operation was successful. other Operation resulted in an error. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002-2011 DSPAM Project All rights reserved. For more information, see http://dspam.sourceforge.net. SEE ALSO
dspam(1), dspam_admin(1), dspam_clean(1), dspam_crc(1), dspam_dump(1), dspam_logrotate(1), dspam_stats(1), dspam_train(1) DSPAM
Apr 17, 2010 dspam_merge(1)