Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Can't log in
Operating Systems Linux Debian Can't log in Post 302682847 by hipe on Tuesday 7th of August 2012 03:15:09 AM
Old 08-07-2012
When you say you are able to log in the first time, does that mean after the power cycle?
It seems that the system does not complete all startup procedures for whatever reason.
When you have shell prompt, can you check if all the filesystems are availabe, can you
check
Code:
ls -l /dev/*tty*

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

CVS command checkin log minus tag log

Hi What is the cvs command for getting the diff between the checkin log and tag log. i am trying cvs rdiff -s -r <branch Tag> -r <branch> <module> but it is not giving me the files that were not tagged. I think it is doing a diff for common files in head and tag. Please help ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rakeshou
0 Replies

2. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

/var/log/wtmp SuSE log permission rollback

Hello All, On my SuSE system, I have wtmp log this log file permission is 644 but every reboot the file permission rollback to 664. In the logrotate.conf and logrotate.d/wtmp files the wtmp logrotate set to 644. I would like to know, which "file" or "script" modify the wtmp log to rollback to... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalaso
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl's buffered I/O is causing me to miss latest log file entries in log colorizer. How to fix?

I've been finding myself using a log file colorizer written in perl to reformat and colorize the output from many different programs. Mainly, however, I use it to make the output from "tail -f" commands more readable. The base perl script I use is based on "colorlogs.pl" available from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rcsteiner
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files

How can view log messages between two time frame from /var/log/message or any type of log files. when logfiles are very big and especially many messages with in few minutes, I would like to display log messages between 5 minute interval. Could you pls give me the command? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnveslin
1 Replies

5. HP-UX

Script to monitor /var/opt/resmon/log/event.log file

AM in need of some plugin/script that can monitor HP-UX file "/var/opt/resmon/log/event.log" . Have written a scrip in sh shell that is working fine for syslog.log and mail.log as having standard format, have interrogated that to Nagios and is working as I required . But same script failed to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shirishlnx
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Monitor log entries in log files with no Date format? - Efficient logcheck?

is there a way to efficiently monitor logfiles that do not have a date or time format? i have several logs on several different servers that need to be monitored. but i realized writing a script for this would be very complex and time consuming giving the variety of things i need to check for i.e.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Check log file size every 10 minute. Alert if log not update

How to check log size every 10min. by script (can use crontab) if log size not change with alert "Log not update" Base run on SunOS 5.8 Generic_Virtual sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise logFiles="log1.log log2.log" logLocation="/usr/home/test/log/" Out put. Tue Jan 31... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ooilinlove
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log search and mail it if the log is updated before 24 hours from the current time

Hi , We have around 22 logs , each has different entries. I have to automate this using shell script. The ideas which am sharing is given below 1) We use only TAIL -100 <location and name of the log> Command to check the logs. 2) We want to check whether the log was updated before 24... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kalaihari
13 Replies

9. Web Development

How to log http 404 error to a separate log file?

Apache Web Server: how to log http 404 error to a separate log file and i do not want to log in access.log please advice. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raghur77
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Log all the commands input by user at real time in /var/log/messages

Below is my script to log all the command input by any user to /var/log/messages. But I cant achieve the desired output that i want. PLease see below. function log2syslog { declare COMMAND COMMAND=$(fc -ln -0) logger -p local1.notice -t bash -i -- "$USER:$COMMAND" } trap... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: invinzin21
12 Replies
jfs_fsck(8)						  JFS utility - file system check					       jfs_fsck(8)

NAME
jfs_fsck - initiate replay of the JFS transaction log, and check and repair a JFS formatted device SYNOPSIS
jfs_fsck [ -afnpvV ] [ -j journal_device ] [ --omit_journal_replay ] [ --replay_journal_only ] device DESCRIPTION
jfs_fsck is used to replay the JFS transaction log, check a JFS formatted device for errors, and fix any errors found. device is the special file name corresponding to the actual device to be checked (e.g. /dev/hdb1). jfs_fsck must be run as root. WARNING
jfs_fsck should only be used to check an unmounted file system or a file system that is mounted READ ONLY. Using jfs_fsck to check a file system mounted other than READ ONLY could seriously damage the file system! OPTIONS
If no options are selected, the default is -p. -a Autocheck mode - Replay the transaction log. Do not continue fsck processing unless the aggregate state is dirty or the log replay failed. Functionally equivalent to -p. Autocheck mode is typically the default mode used when jfs_fsck is called at boot time. -f Replay the transaction log and force checking even if the file system appears clean. Repair all problems automatically. -j journal_device Specify the journal device. -n Open the file system read only. Do not replay the transaction log. Report errors, but do not repair them. --omit_journal_replay Omit the replay of the transaction log. This option should not be used unless as a last resort (i.e. the log has been severely corrupted and replaying it causes further problems). -p Automatically repair ("preen") the file system. Replay the transaction log. Do not continue fsck processing unless the aggregate state is dirty or the log replay failed. Functionally equivalent to -a. --replay_journal_only Only replay the transaction log. Do not continue with a full file system check if the replay fails or if the file system is still dirty even after a journal replay. In general, this option should only be used for debugging purposes as it could leave the file system in an unmountable state. This option cannot be used with -f, -n, or --omit_journal_replay. -v Verbose messaging - print details and debug statements to stdout. -V Print version information and exit (regardless of any other chosen options). EXAMPLES
Check the 3rd partition on the 2nd hard disk, print extended information to stdout, replay the transaction log, force complete jfs_fsck checking, and give permission to repair all errors: jfs_fsck -v -f /dev/hdb3 Check the 5th partition on the 1st hard disk, and report, but do not repair, any errors: jfs_fsck -n /dev/hda5 EXIT CODE
The exit code returned by jfs_fsck represents one of the following conditions: 0 No errors 1 File system errors corrected and/or transaction log replayed successfully 2 File system errors corrected, system should be rebooted if file system was mounted 4 File system errors left uncorrected 8 Operational error 16 Usage or syntax error 128 Shared library error REPORTING BUGS
If you find a bug in JFS or jfs_fsck, please report it via the bug tracking system ("Report Bugs" section) of the JFS project web site: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ Please send as much pertinent information as possible, including the complete output of running jfs_fsck with the -v option on the JFS device. SEE ALSO
fsck(8), jfs_mkfs(8), jfs_fscklog(8), jfs_tune(8), jfs_logdump(8), jfs_debugfs(8) AUTHORS
Barry Arndt (barndt@us.ibm.com) William Braswell, Jr. jfs_fsck is maintained by IBM. See the JFS project web site for more details: http://jfs.sourceforge.net/ October 29, 2002 jfs_fsck(8)