Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers What does the '\' in find -exec command Post 302682407 by Grueben on Monday 6th of August 2012 08:06:03 AM
Old 08-06-2012
What does the '\' in find -exec command

Hi,
I have two scripts that remove files. One works fine and is coded
Code:
find -name "syst*" -mtime +1 -exec rm {} \;

The other is almost the same - only thing missing is the '\'. On that script though I keep getting:
rm syst1202.file ?

etc

Does the \ make that difference or is it a permissions problem

Cheers

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-06-2012 at 09:11 AM.. Reason: code tags

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

find command exec error

Hi All, i am writing a shell script in korn shell which deletes all the files in a directory once in every 10DAYS. the directory has different format files. the script has something like this; cd /home/data/pavi echo "Please Enter the Number of Days to search for" read DAYS... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pavan_test
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Find command with prune and exec

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find command with prune and exec options

Hi, I'm using the following command to get a list of files on the system. find /releases -type f -exec ls -l > /home/sebarry/list.txt '{}' \; however, its searching a directory I don't want it to search so I know I have to use prune but I don't seem to be able to get prune and exec to work... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sebarry
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with exec doesnt work

Hi There, I have a script which finds for log files and removes them if the file has changed in the last day. The script runs fine without errors. The log file is still there. So, I decided to print the find command and run the command outside the script. Getting "Incomplete statement" Can you... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: funtochat2002
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi People, I have a directory full of compressed files (.Z extention) In many of these files there is a string pattern (3800078163033) I want to find all file names which contain this string in their text. Regards, Abhishek (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max29583
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get the exit code of -exec in the find command

Hi I have a little problem with the find command in a script that I'm writing. The script should check if there are some files younger than 100 seconds and then syncronise them with rsync. My find command: find -type f -cmin -100 -exec rsync -a --delete directory1/ directory2/ When I... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: oku
8 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

find command with -exec

Hi all, Please could someone help with the following command requirement. I basically need to find files NEWER than a given file and order the result on time. My attempt so far is as follows: find . -newer <file_name> -exec ls -lrt {} ;\ But I dont seem to get the right result... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
12 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find and move command with exec

Hi all, I am trying to find files newer than a given file and them mv them to a new location. So I far I have: find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec ls -l {} \; and find . ! -newer <file_name> -exec mv /TEMP_LOCATION {} \; find is not liking this. Anyone know how to modify the last... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Linux find command seems to not transmit all the result to the '-exec command'

Hello. From a script, a command for a test is use : find /home/user_install -maxdepth 1 -type f -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_deb ! -newer /tmp/000_skel_file_end -name '.bashrc' -o -name '.profile' -o -name '.gtkrc-2.0' -o -name '.i18n' -o -name '.inputrc' Tha command... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jcdole
3 Replies
GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)						    Git Manual							  GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)

NAME
git-ls-remote - List references in a remote repository SYNOPSIS
git ls-remote [--heads] [--tags] [--refs] [--upload-pack=<exec>] [-q | --quiet] [--exit-code] [--get-url] [--symref] [<repository> [<refs>...]] DESCRIPTION
Displays references available in a remote repository along with the associated commit IDs. OPTIONS
-h, --heads, -t, --tags Limit to only refs/heads and refs/tags, respectively. These options are not mutually exclusive; when given both, references stored in refs/heads and refs/tags are displayed. --refs Do not show peeled tags or pseudorefs like HEAD in the output. -q, --quiet Do not print remote URL to stderr. --upload-pack=<exec> Specify the full path of git-upload-pack on the remote host. This allows listing references from repositories accessed via SSH and where the SSH daemon does not use the PATH configured by the user. --exit-code Exit with status "2" when no matching refs are found in the remote repository. Usually the command exits with status "0" to indicate it successfully talked with the remote repository, whether it found any matching refs. --get-url Expand the URL of the given remote repository taking into account any "url.<base>.insteadOf" config setting (See git-config(1)) and exit without talking to the remote. --symref In addition to the object pointed by it, show the underlying ref pointed by it when showing a symbolic ref. Currently, upload-pack only shows the symref HEAD, so it will be the only one shown by ls-remote. <repository> The "remote" repository to query. This parameter can be either a URL or the name of a remote (see the GIT URLS and REMOTES sections of git-fetch(1)). <refs>... When unspecified, all references, after filtering done with --heads and --tags, are shown. When <refs>... are specified, only references matching the given patterns are displayed. EXAMPLES
$ git ls-remote --tags ./. d6602ec5194c87b0fc87103ca4d67251c76f233a refs/tags/v0.99 f25a265a342aed6041ab0cc484224d9ca54b6f41 refs/tags/v0.99.1 7ceca275d047c90c0c7d5afb13ab97efdf51bd6e refs/tags/v0.99.3 c5db5456ae3b0873fc659c19fafdde22313cc441 refs/tags/v0.99.2 0918385dbd9656cab0d1d81ba7453d49bbc16250 refs/tags/junio-gpg-pub $ git ls-remote http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git master pu rc 5fe978a5381f1fbad26a80e682ddd2a401966740 refs/heads/master c781a84b5204fb294c9ccc79f8b3baceeb32c061 refs/heads/pu $ git remote add korg http://www.kernel.org/pub/scm/git/git.git $ git ls-remote --tags korg v* d6602ec5194c87b0fc87103ca4d67251c76f233a refs/tags/v0.99 f25a265a342aed6041ab0cc484224d9ca54b6f41 refs/tags/v0.99.1 c5db5456ae3b0873fc659c19fafdde22313cc441 refs/tags/v0.99.2 7ceca275d047c90c0c7d5afb13ab97efdf51bd6e refs/tags/v0.99.3 GIT
Part of the git(1) suite Git 2.17.1 10/05/2018 GIT-LS-REMOTE(1)