Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Details within file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Details within file Post 302682349 by Chor419 on Monday 6th of August 2012 06:51:05 AM
Old 08-06-2012
Details within file

Hi,

I am trying to write a script with goes through thousands of XML documents to pull out the values for a particular tag to a .txt file.

For example I have
Code:
file1.xml
file2.xml
file3.xml

fileN.xml

All these files have a tag called <systemID>.
The value that sits within these tags varies with every .xml file.

required output should just list all the values that sit within the <systemID> tag

Please assist how I will be able to achieve this goal

Regards

Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment Please use code tags next time for your code and data.

Last edited by zaxxon; 08-06-2012 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: code tags

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

What file contains boot up init details?

I want to get my telnetd to run on startup and was wondering where it was? im used to having it in /etc/init.d/rc.d but it is not the same in hp-ux :( thanks all (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: emplate
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Details on the ls command and file types

Hey y'all, I need some help with the nitty gritty of the ls command. -First off in the man pages in the -l mode the first character can be "door" can anyone tell me what a door is??? -also in the -l mode the first character can be "fifo"or"pipe" can anyone tell me what a this is??? -What... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jacob358
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

i want to extract details for particular file

Hi i have following file uuid ( RO) : 62701790-60da-dd9a-669d-a563aac1c435 host-uuid ( RO): 5f3f668d-a7c7-4e5f-a4a6-6e90fafb50ed sr-uuid ( RO): 62103d07-e0aa-acf3-2d9f-414ad3377bd0 device-config (MRO): location: /dev/xapi/block ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: bp_vardhaman
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

cut file details from the path given

Hi, Filenames come as /DataStage/temp/ERT/infile/RU.ER.09.0106.txt in a file. I want to cut first 2 chars of the filename like RU, then next 2 like ER and next like 09 I tried using var=/DataStage/temp/ERT/infile/RU.ER.09.0106.txt echo $var|cut -f 1 -d .(dot) this gives... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshada
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script for parsing details in a log file to a seperate file

Hi Experts, Im a new bee for scripting, I would ned to do the following via linux shell scripting, I have an application which throws a log file, on each action of a particular work with the application, as sson as the action is done, the log file would vanish or stops updating there, the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pingnagan
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract details from XML file

Hi , I have one xml file contains more than 60 lines. I need to extract some details from the file and store it in new file.Not the whole file Please find the xml file below: <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> <DeploymentDescriptors xmlns="http://www.tibco.com/xmlns/dd"> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckchelladurai
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

at -l doesnt give details of the scheduled job. How to get the details?

I have scheduled couple of shell scripts to run using 'at' command. The o/p of at -l is: $ at -l 1320904800.a Thu Nov 10 01:00:00 2011 1320894000.a Wed Nov 9 22:00:00 2011 1320876000.a Wed Nov 9 17:00:00 2011 $ uname -a SunOS dc2prcrptetl2 5.9 Generic_122300-54 sun4u sparc... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: superparticle
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting file Details with find -mmin

I'm new to this and I have done a lot of research and am 99% done with my ksh script BUT I need help with. The script looks at Journal files and reports back on any that have not been updated for 15 min. Everything works but I wanted more detail (added -ls) and now I'm getting dups. Original code:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackopz
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Getting details from sudoers file

Hi, I need the details of which ids belong to the sudoers file, and which groups these ids belong to. Can anyone suggest a way to derive that information into a flat file please? G (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ggayathri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extract sentence and its details from a text file based on another file of sentences

Hi I have two text files. The first file is TEXTFILEONE.txt as given below: <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645333076543" From="460350337461111" Created="2011-03-16T17:05:37+0000" use_count="123">This is the first text</Text> <Text Text_ID="10155645315851111_10155645317023456"... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
7 Replies
MKDoc::XML::Stripper(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 MKDoc::XML::Stripper(3pm)

NAME
MKDoc::XML::Stripper - Remove unwanted XML / XHTML tags and attributes SYNOPSIS
use MKDoc::XML::Stripper; my $stripper = new MKDoc::XML::Stripper; $stripper->allow (qw /p class id/); my $ugly = '<p class="para" style="color:red">Hello, <strong>World</strong>!</p>'; my $neat = $stripper->process_data ($ugly); print $neat; Should print: <p class="para">Hello, World!</p> SUMMARY
MKDoc::XML::Stripper is a class which lets you specify a set of tags and attributes which you want to allow, and then cheekily strip any XML of unwanted tags and attributes. In MKDoc, this is used so that editors use structural XHTML rather than presentational tags, i.e. strip anything which looks like a <font> tag, a 'style' attribute or other tags which would break separation of structure from content. DISCLAIMER
This module does low level XML manipulation. It will somehow parse even broken XML and try to do something with it. Do not use it unless you know what you're doing. API
my $stripper = MKDoc::XML::Stripper->new() Instantiates a new MKDoc::XML::Stripper object. $stripper->load_def ($def_name); Loads a definition located somewhere in @INC under MKDoc/XML/Stripper. Available definitions are: xhtml10frameset xhtml10strict xhtml10transitional mkdoc16 - MKDoc 1.6. XHTML structural markup You can also load your own definition file, for instance: $stripper->load_def ('my_def.txt'); Definitions are simple text files as follows: # allow p with 'class' and id p class p id # allow more stuff td class td id td style # etc... $stripper->allow ($tag, @attributes) Allows "<$tag>" to appear in the stripped XML. Additionally, allows @attributes to appear as attributes of <$tag>, so for instance: $stripper->allow ('p', 'class', 'id'); Will allow the following: <p> <p class="foo"> <p id="bar"> <p class="foo" id="bar"> However any extra attributes will be stripped, i.e. <p class="foo" id="bar" style="font-color: red"> Will be rewritten as <p class="foo" id="bar"> $stripper->disallow ($tag) Explicitly disallows a tag and all its associated attributes. By default everything is disallowed. $stripper->process_data ($some_xml); Strips $some_xml according to the rules that were given with the allow() and disallow() methods and returns the result. Does not modify $some_xml in place. $stripper->process_file ('/an/xml/file.xml'); Strips '/an/xml/file.xml' according to the rules that were given with the allow() and disallow() methods and returns the result. Does not modify '/an/xml/file.xml' in place. NOTES
MKDoc::XML::Stripper does not really parse the XML file you're giving to it nor does it care if the XML is well-formed or not. It uses MKDoc::XML::Tokenizer to turn the XML / XHTML file into a series of MKDoc::XML::Token objects and strictly operates on a list of tokens. For this same reason MKDoc::XML::Stripper does not support namespaces. AUTHOR
Copyright 2003 - MKDoc Holdings Ltd. Author: Jean-Michel Hiver This module is free software and is distributed under the same license as Perl itself. Use it at your own risk. SEE ALSO
MKDoc::XML::Tokenizer MKDoc::XML::Token perl v5.10.1 2004-10-06 MKDoc::XML::Stripper(3pm)