Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me add Error Handling to my script Post 302681869 by Don Cragun on Saturday 4th of August 2012 05:38:06 PM
Old 08-04-2012
Code:
wait;ec=$?
if [ "$ec" -ne 0 ]
then
   <do whatever you want to report the error>
else
    <do whatever you want to report successful completion>
fi

If you don't need the unsuccessful exit status of the failed command that you started in the background, you can change:
Code:
wait;ec=$?
if [ "$ec" -ne 0 ]

to:
Code:
if wait

But, as I said before, if the version of rcp you use doesn't reliably set its exit status, you're out of luck trying to determine whether an invocation of rcp succeeded unless you're lucky enough to capture an error message written to stderr.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Handling

Helo Experts, I need a help in handling errors in shell script, wants my errors displayed in text file instead of command window.. My shell script is here; cd /cygdrive/s/Files for FILES in ./*.* do temp=`basename $FILES` if cp $FILES /cygdrive/r/CopyFile1/$FILES; then echo "copy... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: CelvinSaran
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finger and error handling

I have this segment of code : cmd = "finger -m " $1 " 2>/dev/null | head -1" cmd | getline userinfo close(cmd) Sometimes finger returns no such user when given a user id. With the redirection to the default trash file i am getting rid of any screen "finger:no such user" messages. I also want... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beatblaster666
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with Error handling,not able to continue the script further

Hi, I am trying to write a script to cleanup files in a log directory .. cd log find Datk** -mtime +7 -exec rm -f {} \; 2> /dev/null Have used the above to clean up files in log directory more then 7 days older. The file can be something like ( auto-generate by some processes and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nss280
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Error Handling on Script

Hi, I need your guys help again. I run a script which check for some process status in a loop. when i check the process some of the process could throw an error, how can i check that inside my script. Thanks, RR (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rrb2009
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

PERL error handling

I have a PERL command line embedded in a UNIX script. The script doesn't handle errors coming out of this command. I'm processing large files and occassionally I run out of disk space and end up with half a file. perl -p -e 's/\n/\r\n/g' < TR_TMP_$4 > $4 How do I handle errors coming out... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: OTChancy
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error Handling

Below code works for different databases i.e. MYSQL and ORACLE The problem is for MYSQL in Block: if ; $? taking value accordingly but in case of ORACLE $? is always taking this value as zero (0). That is the reason in Oracle it always going in else Block in any case.. :( and in case of ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ambarginni
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Script Error Handling

Good Day Everyone, I was hoping to get a little insight into an expect script that I've written. Basically we have this expect script to perform an sftp upload, key authentication is not an option, and sftp is the only method supported by our vendor, thus the need for this. I want to be... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: thaller
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Error handling

Hello fellow UNIX gurus :) I have a problem regarding the script below: # Variables used in this shell. power=0 # Stores squared integer total=0 # Sum of all squared integers num=0 # Stores command line arguements # Provides error handling if command line... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Learn4Life
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

error situation handling when starting app from a script

Hi, in my bash script I start 3rd party app that runs quickly normally and returns some data that I use later for processing. However if there are problems the app doesn't return anything and just hangs... then my script also hangs of course, awaiting for the app to comeback. Was wondering how to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: TomSu
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script FTP maintain error handling

Hi, I have ftp script like below How to insert an error handling, If the transfer failed then send mail to me. Actually, I just need the script to send an email if the FTP failed. How to put the email script within FTP script? Thank You Edy (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: edydsuranta
5 Replies
Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)					      Tcl Library Procedures					    Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
Tcl_AllowExceptions - allow all exceptions in next script evaluation SYNOPSIS
#include <tcl.h> Tcl_AllowExceptions(interp) ARGUMENTS
Tcl_Interp *interp (in) Interpreter in which script will be evaluated. _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
If a script is evaluated at top-level (i.e. no other scripts are pending evaluation when the script is invoked), and if the script termi- nates with a completion code other than TCL_OK, TCL_ERROR or TCL_RETURN, then Tcl normally converts this into a TCL_ERROR return with an appropriate message. The particular script evaluation procedures of Tcl that act in the manner are Tcl_EvalObjEx, Tcl_EvalObjv, Tcl_Eval, Tcl_EvalEx, Tcl_GlobalEval, Tcl_GlobalEvalObj, Tcl_VarEval and Tcl_VarEvalVA. However, if Tcl_AllowExceptions is invoked immediately before calling one of those a procedures, then arbitrary completion codes are per- mitted from the script, and they are returned without modification. This is useful in cases where the caller can deal with exceptions such as TCL_BREAK or TCL_CONTINUE in a meaningful way. KEYWORDS
continue, break, exception, interpreter Tcl 7.4 Tcl_AllowExceptions(3)