Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users accessing temperatures under Slackware Post 302681791 by Corona688 on Saturday 4th of August 2012 12:16:36 PM
Old 08-04-2012
Both have different uses, gkrellm doesn't make sensors useless.

sensors is far more useful for debugging lm_sensors if you have a problem with it. It can also be used in automatic scripts, even on something standalone.

gkrellm is a graphical application with all the strengths and problems that implies.

5 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell script converting temperatures.

:confused:Please I really need help with an assignment question. I need to write a script that will take the input from a file and convert the number from Centigrade(Celcius) to Fahrenheit or vice versa. Thank you so much. I really need it to be detailed. Please remember the input comes from a file. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: starter101
1 Replies

2. Slackware

Skype on Slackware 64

Hi! I've downloaded the static version (skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2) and extracted it. Then I tried to start the Skype executable file (./skype) via the terminal but nothing happens. root@xxx:~# ls skype_static-2.1.0.81/ skype_static-2.1.0.81.tar.bz2 root@xxx:~# cd skype_static-2.1.0.81... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: intelfan
2 Replies

3. Slackware

Slackware

I want to know more about the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware, i know already the Concurrency but i want to know further what else is the Concurrency(Process Synchronization, Deadlocks) of a slackware. :cool: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: green12
1 Replies

4. Slackware

Slackware 13.

Hello everyone. I am a newbie in operating systems. so far I've been playing with Ubuntu and I like it a lot. I heard about Slackware and I wanna try it. Last night I download the iso but It didn't fit in my usb or Dvd. it is a 4.2 GB. Is there one less than 4.2GB that will fit in my usb or DVD? ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: openation1
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

HDD temperatures monitoring

Good day all, I am new the the shell programming and scripting world and I have a question. I need to monitor the hdd temperature of 18 different servers(each with 14 hdd) and I would like to be able to have the information displayed on a single html webpage. What would be the best approach about... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Zaffryn
0 Replies
SENSORS-DETECT(8)					      System Manager's Manual						 SENSORS-DETECT(8)

NAME
sensors-detect - detect hardware monitoring chips SYNOPSIS
sensors-detect DESCRIPTION
sensors-detect is an interactive program that will walk you through the process of scanning your system for various hardware monitoring chips, or sensors, supported by libsensors(3), or more generally by the lm_sensors tool suite. sensors-detect will look for the following devices, in order: o Sensors embedded in CPUs, south bridges and memory controllers. o Sensors embedded in Super I/O chips. o Hardware monitoring chips accessed through ISA I/O ports. o Hardware monitoring chips reachable over the SMBus or more generally any I2C bus on your system. As the last two detection steps can cause trouble on some systems, they are normally not attempted if the second detection step led to the discovery of a Super I/O chip with complete hardware monitoring features. However, the user is always free to ask for all detection steps if so is his/her wish. This can be useful if a given system has more than one hardware monitoring chip. Some vendors are known to do this, most notably Asus and Tyan. WARNING
sensors-detect needs to access the hardware for most of the chip detections. By definition, it doesn't know which chips are there before it manages to identify them. This means that it can access chips in a way these chips do not like, causing problems ranging from SMBus lockup to permanent hardware damage (a rare case, thankfully.) The authors made their best to make the detection as safe as possible, and it turns out to work just fine in most cases, however it is impossible to guarantee that sensors-detect will not lock or kill a specific system. So, as a rule of thumb, you should not run sensors- detect on production servers, and you should not run sensors-detect if can't afford replacing a random part of your system. Also, it is recommended to not force a detection step which would have been skipped by default, unless you know what you are doing. SEE ALSO
sensors(1), libsensors(3) AUTHOR
Frodo Looijaard and Jean Delvare lm-sensors 3 December 2008 SENSORS-DETECT(8)