Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to get value from set of values in csh Post 302681767 by FUTURE_EINSTEIN on Saturday 4th of August 2012 10:23:03 AM
Old 08-04-2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudiC
How do you want to indentify the field to extract, by position, by name, ...
Thanks for answering but sorry I did not get is it possible or not I wanted to identify it by position

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

csh and the set command

Hi, I am trying to write a csh script that will run another csh script, but redirect the output from the second script to an email. my code looks like this. #!/bin/csh ## This script is designed to run the SSM.sh ## then email the output to a specified email address ## it will also display... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagannatha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

alternate to set -x in csh scripts

hi all i want to debug a csh script and i give set -x for that but i get an error. is there any command similar to set -x for csh scripts? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sais
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In a csh script, can I set a variable to the result of an SQLPLUS select query?

Can someone tell me why I'm getting error when I try to run this? #!/bin/csh -f source ~/.cshrc # set SQLPLUS = ${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/sqlplus # set count=`$SQLPLUS -s ${DB_LOGIN} << END select count(1) from put_groups where group_name='PC' and description='EOD_EVENT' and serial_number=1;... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregrobinsonhd
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Equivalent of set -o vi in csh

Hi, I am working with two shells on two different users. one is on ksh and one is on csh. In ksh I use set -o vi and I am able to see my history commands by typing esc,- keys. I want the same feature in csh as well how can I do that. Regards, Venkat (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: svenkatareddy
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

tcsh/csh: set prompt in production to color red

Hi folks This is our prompt at the moment oracle@pinkipinki:/opt/oracle> grep 'set prompt' .cshrc set prompt = "$user@`uname -n`:$cwd> " We wish to have in production the same prompt, but red. Howto do that? I tried a lot a internet manuals, but it doesn't work. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: slashdotweenie
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Storing values in arrays using csh

I am reading a number of files but then I want to put the ranges xmin xmax ymin ymax as arrays for each file. Any idea how I can do this??? set j = 1 echo "Welcome $i times" while ( $j <= $i ) echo "$j" set fname = $fin-bst-misf.xy echo " "$fname ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: kristinu
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh shell script 'set' argument limit?

Hi , I have a script that is causing a problem that led me to think if there is a limit to the number of arguments for 'set' command in csh shell script. Here is my script: #!/bin/csh -f set top = design_top #1 set v_mbist = ( sim_mbist/*.v ) #2 set v_simlist = ( -v... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: return_user
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh and variable values with spaces

my working shell is csh and even though if I try to run my script in plain sh, it behaves the same way. Here's a simple script: #!/bin/sh desc='"test my changes"' cmd="echo \"$desc\"" $cmd I want $desc to be passed as an argument to another command, but csh apparently doesn't like spaces in... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: iskatel
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Csh , how to set var value into new var, in short string concatenation

i try to find way to make string concatenation in csh ( sorry this is what i have ) so i found out i can't do : set string_buff = "" foreach line("`cat $source_dir/$f`") $string_buff = string_buff $line end how can i do string concatenation? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: umen
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to set variable permanent in csh?

We are using csh on our AIX platform, if we have to export/set a specific environment variable we use setenv command but its only valid till session. How do we set that variable permanent in our csh AIX? Do we put it in userprofile file or something else? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aixusrsys
1 Replies
shell_builtins(1)														 shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)