Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris running command in background Post 302681293 by RudiC on Friday 3rd of August 2012 05:52:34 AM
Old 08-03-2012
If your shell allows for job control: Replace the semicolon at the end of your command by "&"

I dimly recall once using a tool called screen that allows several sessions under one login session.

Last edited by RudiC; 08-03-2012 at 07:29 AM.. Reason: another approach...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running in background

i have a script called server.sh. how to run this script in backgroung using nohup command (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ali560045
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running the Script in Background.

Gurus, Pls. help on this to run the script in background. I have a script to run the informatica workflows using PMCMD in script. Say the script name is test.sh & Parameters to the script is Y Y Y Y The no of parameters to the bove script is 4. all are going to be a flags. Each flag will... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: prabhutkl
2 Replies

3. Solaris

About running processes in background

Hi, I need to establish a procedure that will start an application in background each time my remote Solaris server is (re)started. This would be a kind of daemon. I am no sysadmin expert, so I am looking for pointers. How should I proceed? What are the main steps? Thanks, JVerstry (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: JVerstry
9 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

kill a command I am running / then put it to background

I have a command running in the foreground (and so my term window is locked up) and I want to kill it, then resume it in the background and go home. It is creating a zip file, and the file will be written to the current directory - no std in / std out issues. How do I do this? Kill it with a... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hindesite
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

running the script in background

I have a script called startWebLogic.sh which I was running in the background but the problem is which I used the command :- ps -elf | grep "startWebLogic.sh" | grep -v grep to find the process id but I was unable to find the process id for this script and when I checked from the front end the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: maitree
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running in background

Hello, I was trying to make some processes to run at background and went to a problem. First I tried just to loop in one line something like this: for i in {1..10}; do echo 'hello world' &; done; but it pops a syntax error, so I tried several ways to fix it but wasn't able to understand... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rash
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

command to see process running at background

Hi , I want to see all the background process that are running in unix box machine...please guide me is there any specific command for that..since I am executing some scripts at background..!!:confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nks342
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sudo ssh with command running in background

I am trying to run a command. This is one of my attempts: for i in fileservera; do ssh -t $i 'sudo ls /';doneThis works, and I see the directories. However, what I want to do now is start a process on the remote server such as /usr/bin/connectproc -standalonesudo /usr/bin/connectproc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie2010
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running script in background

Hi, I wrote a KSH script and running it on HP-UX machine I am running one script in background. My script is at location $HOME/myScript/test/background_sh When I view my script in background with psu commend > psu | grep background_sh I see following output UID PID PPID C ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vaibhav
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Htop - How to detect exact command running at background

Hello, I am running a python file from terminal and I wish to see which code is running at background. When I use htop, I see just a few commands, unable to see entire command. htop > report nano report Output: ^ Following parts of ffmpeg line is not shown by htop. Just showing... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: baris35
7 Replies
device_maps(4)                                                     File Formats                                                     device_maps(4)

NAME
device_maps - device_maps file SYNOPSIS
/etc/security/device_maps DESCRIPTION
The device_maps file contains access control information about each physical device. Each device is represented by a one line entry of the form: device-name : device-type : device-list : where device-name This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the physical device. This field contains no embedded white space or non- printable characters. device-type This is an arbitrary ASCII string naming the generic device type. This field identifies and groups together devices of like type. This field contains no embedded white space or non-printable characters. device-list This is a list of the device special files associated with the physical device. This field contains valid device special file path names separated by white space. The device_maps file is an ASCII file that resides in the /etc/security directory. Lines in device_maps can end with a `' to continue an entry on the next line. Comments may also be included. A `#' makes a comment of all further text until the next NEWLINE not immediately preceded by a `'. Leading and trailing blanks are allowed in any of the fields. The device_maps file must be created by the system administrator before device allocation is enabled. This file is owned by root, with a group of sys, and a mode of 0644. EXAMPLES
Example 1: A sample device_maps file # scsi tape st1: rmt: /dev/rst21 /dev/nrst21 /dev/rst5 /dev/nrst5 /dev/rst13 /dev/nrst13 /dev/rst29 /dev/nrst29 /dev/rmt/1l /dev/rmt/1m /dev/rmt/1 /dev/rmt/1h /dev/rmt/1u /dev/rmt/1ln /dev/rmt/1mn /dev/rmt/1n /dev/rmt/1hn /dev/rmt/1un /dev/rmt/1b /dev/rmt/1bn: FILES
/etc/security/device_maps SEE ALSO
allocate(1), bsmconv(1M), deallocate(1), dminfo(1M), list_devices(1) NOTES
The functionality described in this man page is available only if the Basic Security Module (BSM) has been enabled. See bsmconv(1M) for more information. SunOS 5.10 16 Jan 2001 device_maps(4)