Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: SSH operation timed out
Homework and Emergencies Emergency UNIX and Linux Support SSH operation timed out Post 302681071 by Binary Buddha on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 05:09:52 PM
Old 08-02-2012
At this point it could be any number of the things people are saying; or a combination of them.

You're going to have to go down the OSI Model to figure it out. I'd post a link but apparently I need to have five posts first. All this "I have a feeling" stuff is completely useless. Troubleshooting is methodical and logical and not guessing. Troubleshoot from layer 1; the physical layer, first. That means double checking and reseating any of the connections betweent the points. Then check your network config and the server network config. Then verify the "network route" is in place and useable; if your in *NIX route is the same as traceroute in M$. If the results of that don't end up at your server then you have a routing issue. If it does, then you have a software configuration issue. ( For all you "leet" people, I'm going under the premise that not everyone is blocking ICMP like a retard.)

There is also the possibility that the bandwidth at either points is being overwhelmed. I often get that when I try to SSH into my home network from a coffee shop and forget to turn off bittorrent.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Connection Timed out

I connect to a Sun Box through telnet but it timed out in couple of minutes. Advance thanks for any idea...help... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: s_aamir
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deferred: connection timed out with NT

We recently installed a new release of SCO UNIX (5.0.6) and when I try to relay e-mail from the UNIX box to my NT server (the mail server) I get the following message from sendmail. Deferred: Connection timed out with nt I have nt set up as my relay server in sendmail.cf and the mail seems to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmossman
8 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

timed commands

Hello, How can I set up events to be executed at a certain time? And do I need some kind of privilege such as being in cron group? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rayne
2 Replies

4. HP-UX

connection timed out

I am trying to connect with my hp machine using "dialup networking." It times out after 30 seconds. Is there a way to adjust this time. Would it have anything to do with rexec? thanks (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: paschal
0 Replies

5. Programming

Timed wait?

Is there any way in which I can make my wait signal to wait for a specified time for child job to complete. And if that time is over, the program gets out of the wait signal to process other things (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: anjul_thegreat
4 Replies

6. Solaris

I/O timed out

I have Ultra 45 Sun solaris box with Solaris 10 installed. My problem is when i boot the unix box, i got the message: What does this message meant? then it does not continue to boot successfully. Please help. Thanks in advance. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: etcpasswd
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do I make a timed script

Hello, I would like to make a script, ideally in perl since I am most familair with it, that does the following: automatically starts up at 9 pm, searches through a specified directory for any new files, finds those new files and starts to run them through a pipeline. I have most of it worked... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amcrisan
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Column operation : cosne and sine operation

I have a txt file with several columns and i want to peform an operation on two columns and output it to a new txt file . file.txt 900.00000 1 1 1 500.00000 500.00000 100000.000 4 4 1.45257346E-07 899.10834 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shashi792
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Timed Scripts

Hi all I need a little bit of help, i am looking for a script that can have different events in it and then if it is a certain day email me about it some sort of email reminder system any ideas thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ab52
4 Replies

10. AIX

Ssh connection timed out

Hello, I have two AIX6.1 machines that can communicate with each other through ssh. The problem is that one of them somehow closes the connection after some time and i don't know the reason of that. For example today i send through rsync command 7 files from one server to the other. It send... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omonoiatis9
7 Replies
routing(7P)							     Protocols							       routing(7P)

NAME
routing - system support for packet network routing DESCRIPTION
The network facilities provide general packet routing. The routing interface described here can be used to maintain the system's IPv4 rout- ing table. It has been maintained for compatibility with older applications. The recommended interface for maintaining the system's routing tables is the routing socket, described at route(7P). The routing socket can be used to manipulate both the IPv4 and IPv6 routing tables of the system. Routing table maintenance may be implemented in applications processes. A simple set of data structures compose a "routing table" used in selecting the appropriate network interface when transmitting packets. This table contains a single entry for each route to a specific network or host. The routing table was designed to support routing for the Internet Protocol (IP), but its implementation is protocol independent and thus it may serve other protocols as well. User programs may manipulate this data base with the aid of two ioctl(2) commands, SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT. These commands allow the addition and deletion of a single routing table entry, respectively. Routing table manipulations may only be carried out by privileged user. A routing table entry has the following form, as defined in /usr/include/net/route.h: struct rtentry { unit_t rt_hash; /* to speed lookups */ struct sockaddr rt_dst; /* key */ struct sockaddr rt_gateway; /* value */ short rt_flags; /* up/down?, host/net */ short rt_refcnt; /* # held references */ unit_t rt_use; /* raw # packets forwarded */ /* * The kernel does not use this field, and without it the structure is * datamodel independent. */ #if !defined(_KERNEL) struct ifnet *rt_ifp; /* the answer: interface to use */ #endif /* !defined(_KERNEL) */ }; with rt_flags defined from: #define RTF_UP 0x1 /* route usable */ #define RTF_GATEWAY 0x2 /* destination is a gateway */ #define RTF_HOST 0x4 /* host entry (net otherwise) */ There are three types of routing table entries: those for a specific host, those for all hosts on a specific network, and those for any destination not matched by entries of the first two types, called a wildcard route. Each network interface installs a routing table entry when it is initialized. Normally the interface specifies if the route through it is a "direct" connection to the destination host or network. If the route is direct, the transport layer of a protocol family usually requests the packet be sent to the same host specified in the packet. Otherwise, the interface may be requested to address the packet to an entity different from the eventual recipient; essentially, the packet is forwarded. Routing table entries installed by a user process may not specify the hash, reference count, use, or interface fields; these are filled in by the routing routines. If a route is in use when it is deleted, meaning its rt_refcnt is non-zero, the resources associated with it will not be reclaimed until all references to it are removed. User processes read the routing tables through the /dev/ip device. The rt_use field contains the number of packets sent along the route. This value is used to select among multiple routes to the same desti- nation. When multiple routes to the same destination exist, the least used route is selected. A wildcard routing entry is specified with a zero destination address value. Wildcard routes are used only when the system fails to find a route to the destination host and network. The combination of wildcard routes and routing redirects can provide an economical mechanism for routing traffic. ERRORS
EEXIST A request was made to duplicate an existing entry. ESRCH A request was made to delete a non-existent entry. ENOBUFS Insufficient resources were available to install a new route. ENOMEM Insufficient resources were available to install a new route. ENETUNREACH The gateway is not directly reachable. For example, it does not match the destination/subnet on any of the network interfaces. FILES
/dev/ip IP device driver SEE ALSO
route(1M), ioctl(2), route(7P) SunOS 5.10 9 Nov 1999 routing(7P)