Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris How can I find which NIC is used to talk to a given host (except traceroute) Post 302680909 by Corona688 on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 12:09:05 PM
Old 08-02-2012
Very nice, is there any equivalent to this for other systems?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

How do I find what kind of NIC card the server has?

All, I see that there are 2 nic card available . How can I know all the details about these 2 nic cards. -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 10 Apr 16 15:00 hostname.bge0 -rw-r--r-- 1 root other 17 Apr 22 08:56 hostname.bge2 please let me know thanks -prasad (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: p4cldba
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help! How to find the local host after few ssh hops to remote host???

I do a ssh to remote host(A1) from local host(L1). I then ssh to another remote(A2) from A1. When I do a who -m from A2, I see the "connected from" as "A1". => who -m userid pts/2 2010-03-27 08:47 (A1) I want to identify who is the local host who initiated the connection to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gomes1333
3 Replies

3. Solaris

Mulitple Zones on Dual NIC host

Greetings Forumers! I am running into an issue with multiple zones on an M5000 with 2 NICs. The NICs are on separate VLANs. These zones are using the 2 NICs to communicate with other systems but when they need to communicate with a zone on the same system, but different NIC, the application... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: bluescreen
9 Replies

4. AIX

AIX -How to find which NIC is on which PCI card

Hi All, How can I find out which is ETH5 on my AIX P5 system. I have about seven different NIC card on this. I did move the cable to each one but still I was not able to see the link light up when I did netstat -v Any idea? Thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Not able to find the new NIC

I have a Sun Blade 2500 with SUN 5.9 OS installed. I have one NIC built-in which is working fine. I insert another new NIC in the machine with four RJ45 connector options(means four NICs in one Card). The problem is i am not able to see the new NIC Thanks (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: z_haseeb
13 Replies

6. Solaris

able to ping all hosts but not able to traceroute any host

i am using solaris 10 and i am able to ping all the hosts but i am not able to traceroute any of them. how to fix this? (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
9 Replies

7. Solaris

x86 Solaris 10 nic driver added but not attached. NIC is not detected.

I couldn't install my nic in solaris 10. I compiled and added the driver but failed to attach the driver and ifconfig output shows only loopback dev. Please see the following output and tell me whether my nic has been detected and why the driver failed to attach? My nic is detected in linux... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
0 Replies

8. Red Hat

I want to tune NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. which NIC device should I modify.

Dear All I want tune my NIC's rps, rfs and xps value. In my system I have two NIC (eth0, eth1) and I have a bond0 ( eth0, eth1). Here is the question? Which device should I modify ? eth0 and eth1? or just modify bond0 or modify all device (eth0, eth1, bond0) Any advice is welcome.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nnnnnnine
0 Replies

9. Solaris

Network issue on multinic. Unable to ping a host from One NIC but other works

Dear, I hope you all will be ok. I have an issue with Solaris box running on x86 Blade. I am unable to ping a node neither traceroute. I am able to do traceroute from oce0:6 port which have IP and subnet of same type which oce0:1 has. details are as follows: Problem: root@rinams02:/#... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: khaniqshahid
3 Replies

10. Linux

Add two different subnet public IPs to single NIC or two different NIC on same box

Hello Admins, My ask is how can I add two different subnet IPs to same box with two different gateways? The issue is I can connect to the box when I am on ethernet LAN, but I am not able to connect to the same IP when I am on wifi. The server is RHEL 7 VM on vmware. How can I get connected... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
4 Replies
route(8c)																 route(8c)

Name
       route - manually manipulate the routing tables

Syntax
       /etc/route [ -f ] [ -n ] command args ]

Description
       The  program  is  used  to manipulate the network routing tables manually.  However, normally it is not needed, as the system routing table
       management daemon, should tend to this task.

The program accepts two commands: add, to add a route and delete, to delete a route.

All commands have the following syntax:

/etc/route command [ net | host ] destination gateway [ metric ]

In this syntax, destination is a host or network for which the route is to, gateway is the gateway to which packets  should  be	addressed,
       and  metric  is	an  optional count indicating the number of hops to the destination.  The metric is required for add commands.	It must be
       zero if the destination is on a directly-attached network, and nonzero if the route utilizes one or more gateways.

When adding a route with metric 0, the gateway given is the address of this host on the common network, indicating the interface to be used
       for  transmission.   Routes to a particular host are distinguished from routes to a network by interpreting the Internet address associated
       with destination.  The optional keywords net and host force the destination to be interpreted as a network or host, respectively.   If  the
       destination  has  a local address part of INADDR_ANY, then the route is assumed to be to a network. Otherwise, it is presumed to be a route
       to a host.  If the route is to a destination connected via a gateway, the metric should be greater than 0.  All	symbolic  names  specified
       for a destination or gateway are looked up first as a host name using If this lookup fails, is then used to interpret the name as that of a
       network.

The command uses a raw socket and the SIOCADDRT and SIOCDELRT ioctls to do its work.  As such, only the superuser can  modify  the  routing
       tables.

Options
       -f   Flushes  the routing tables of all gateway entries.  If is used with one of the commands described above, the tables are flushed prior
	    to the command's application.

-n   Prevents attempts to print host and network names symbolically when reporting actions.

Restrictions
       The change operation is not implemented.  Therefore, you should first add the new route, and then delete the old one.

Diagnostics
       add [host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x"
       The specified route is being added to the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.  If  the
       gateway	address  used  was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically as
       well as symbolically.

delete [ host | network] %s: gateway %s flags %x
       The specified route is being deleted from the tables.  The values printed are from the routing table entry supplied in the ioctl call.	If
       the  gateway  address used was not the primary address of the gateway (the first one returned by the gateway address is printed numerically
       as well as symbolically.

%s %s done
       When the flag is specified, each routing table entry that is deleted is indicated with a message of this form.

Network is unreachable
       An attempt to add a route failed because the gateway listed was not on a directly-connected network.  The next-hop gateway must be given.

not in table
       A delete operation was attempted for an entry which was not present in the tables.

routing table overflow
       An add operation was attempted, but the system was low on resources and was unable to allocate memory to create the new entry.

See Also
       intro(4n), routed(8c)

route(8c)