Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting for loop with whole line using cat Post 302680871 by 47shailesh on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 11:30:40 AM
Old 08-02-2012
you can use awk '{print "10.0.0.1" "," $0}' infile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using cat command in a for loop

If I have a data file containing entries like-> abc abc:123 and I use a for loop: for I in `cat data-file` do echo $I done the output would contain 2 lines -> abc.... and abc:123 but I want it to be on only one line. How can I do this? thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sleepster
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

using 'cat' to in 'while read line'

Hi, I'm having some trouble reading a file that was 'cat' through a while loop. Can anyone suggest alternatives? what i do is cat filename|grep *.stuff while read line do echo $line ... and other commands done The cat,grep line seems to work correctly, but the script hangs when i add in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chugger06
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat'ing a multiple line file to one line

I am writing a script that is running a loop on one file to obtain records from another file. Using egrep, I am finding matching records in file b, then outputing feilds of both into another file. **************************** filea=this.txt fileb=that.txt cat $filea | while read line do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djsal
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat and loop

Hi I have a simple code that I want to execute. out=out.txt for f in `cat list.txt | head -1`; do echo $f >> $out echo "sleep 5" >> $out done cat list.txt | head -1 wget -q -O - 'http://test.com:15100/cgi-bin/search cat out.txt wget sleep 5 -q sleep 5 -O (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: soemac
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat file1 read line-per-line then grep -A 15 lines down in fileb

STEP 1 # Set variable FILE=/tmp/mainfile SEARCHFILE =/tmp/searchfile # THIS IS THE MAIN FILE. cat /tmp/mainfile Interface Ethernet0/0 "outside", is up, line protocol is up Hardware is i82546GB rev03, BW 100 Mbps Full-Duplex(Full-duplex), 100 Mbps(100 Mbps) MAC address... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: irongeekio
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple for loop/cat issue

ok.. so problem is: I have a file that reads: cat 123 1 and 2 3 and 4 5 and 6 I was using for loops to run through this information. Code: for i in `cat 123` do echo $i done shouldn't the output come as 1 and 2 (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: foal_11
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Loop through hosts file - cat /etc/resolv.conf

Hello... I am trying to loop through my hosts file that contains 100+ servers to check or update the nameservers on them... My while loop is breaking after the first server responds... #!/bin/bash while read line; do a=( $(echo $line | tr " " "\n") ) if }" != "" ] && }" != "#" ] &&... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: CompSCI
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while displaying(cat) file content inside telnet loop .

Hi Team, Not getting the file output inside my email which i am sending from unix box. . Please refer the below code : #!/bin/sh { sleep 5 echo ehlo 10.56.185.13 sleep 3 echo mail from: oraairtel@CNDBMUREAPZP02.localdomain sleep 3 echo rcpt to: saurabhtripathi@anniksystems.com... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tripathi1990
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issue with cat command on a for loop

Good day to all, I'd like to ask for your advice with regards to this. Scenario : I have here a file named TEST.tmp wherein the value inside is below; "ONE|TWO|FIVE|THREE|FOUR|SIX~SEVEN~EIGHT" "NINE" But when I'm trying to use this in a simple command like; for TESTING in $(cat... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: asdfghjkl
4 Replies
makedbm(8)						      System Manager's Manual							makedbm(8)

NAME
makedbm - Makes a Network Information Service (NIS) dbm file SYNOPSIS
/var/yp/makedbm [-i yp_input_file] [-s yp_secure_name] [-a method] [-o yp_output_name] [-d yp_domain_name] [-m yp_master_name] infile out- file /var/yp/makedbm [-u dbmfilename] OPTIONS
Specifies that NIS maps are to be stored in one of the following formats: btree -- Recommended when creating and maintaining very large maps. dbm/ndbm -- For backward compatibility. This is the default. hash -- A potentially quicker method for managing small maps. Cre- ates a special entry with the key yp_input_file. Creates a special entry with the key yp_secure_file. This causes the makedbm command to write a secure map. The key value ypserver looks for YP_SECURE. Creates a special entry with the key yp_output_name. Creates a special entry with the key yp_domain_name. Creates a special entry with the key yp_master_name. If no master host name is specified, yp_mas- ter_name will be set to the local host name. Undoes a dbm file. That is, prints out a dbm file one entry per line, with a single space separating keys from values. DESCRIPTION
The makedbm command takes the file specified by the argument infile and converts it to a single file or a pair of files in dbm(3), btree(3), or hash(3) format. The dbm(3) files are stored as outfile.pag and outfile.dir. The btree(3) files are stored as outfile.btree. Each line of the input file is converted to a single dbm record. All characters up to the first tab or space form the key, and the rest of the line is defined as the key's associated data. If a line ends with a backslash (), the data for that record is continued onto the next line. It is left for the Network Information Service (NIS) clients to interpret the number sign (#); makedbm does not treat it as a comment character. The infile parameter can be a hyphen (-), in which case makedbm reads the standard input. The makedbm command is meant to be used in generating database files for NIS. The makedbm command generates a special entry with the key yp_last_modified, which is the date of infile. RESTRICTIONS
You must use the same database format for each map in a domain. In addition, a server serving multiple NIS domains must use the same data- base format for all domains. Although a Tru64 UNIX NIS server that takes advantage of btree files will be able to store very large maps, NIS slave servers that lack this feature might have a much smaller limit on the number of map entries they can handle. It may not be possible to distribute very large maps from a Tru64 UNIX NIS master server to a slave server that lacks support for very large maps. NIS clients are not affected by these enhancements. EXAMPLES
The following example shows how a combination of commands can be used to make the NIS dbm files passwd.byname.pag and passwd.byname.dir from the /etc/passwd file. The percent sign (%) signifies the system prompt. % awk 'BEGIN { FS = ":"; OFS = " "; } { print $1, $0 }' /etc/passwd > ptmp % makedbm ptmp passwd.byname % rm ptmp The awk command creates the file ptmp which is in a form usable by makedbm. The makedbm command uses the ptmp file to create the database files. The rm command removes the ptmp file. The following is an example of the makedb command used with the btree format database routine to store NIS maps. makedbm -a b ... SEE ALSO
Commands: yppasswd(1), ypmake(8) Functions: btree(3), dbm(3), dbopen(3), hash(3), ndbm(3) makedbm(8)