Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem removing $ using sed in script Post 302680799 by nadneb on Thursday 2nd of August 2012 10:31:22 AM
Old 08-02-2012
Problem removing $ using sed in script

I am trying to use the sed command to remove any character that is passed as a parameter to the script. I may want to replace any character in the file (-, =, $, space). I'm running into an issue when passing the $.

This is a typical row in the file.
Code:
"000000B553","--INTERNAL USE ONLY-PCG--",="07041200033", $26.70,$18.23,$8.47,04/12/2007,="00015251",198181

Code (test_script.sh):
Code:
#!/bin/ksh

REMOVE_CHAR=${1}   
sed "s/""${REMOVE_CHAR}""//g" orig.csv > corrected.csv
exit 0

If I run the following, the $ is not removed.

test_script.sh "$"

Can someone please help?Smilie

Thank you.

Last edited by Scrutinizer; 08-02-2012 at 11:44 AM.. Reason: code tags for data too

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed modify problem in script

I am having problems with the following "sed" command only when it is issued within a bash script. #!/bin/bash cat config.xml | sed -e 's/yes/no/g' > newconfig.xml When I enter this command from the command line it works like a charm, but when run in a script as shown it "zero's out" my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: darthur
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with sed command in shell script.

Guys, I've a problem in the "sed" command used in my shellscripts This is the problamatic line in my shell script: sed -e 's/${line1}/${line1_m}/g' prod_hier_1234.txt > test.txt It doesn't do the job of replacing the string stored in variable 'line1' to 'line1_m'. However If I replace the... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhagat.singh-j
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing lines with sed

Here is some code output that I have: architecture ppc cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_POWERPC_ALL offset 4096 size 184464 align 2^12 (4096) architecture ppc64 cputype CPU_TYPE_POWERPC64 cpusubtype CPU_SUBTYPE_POWERPC_ALL offset 192512 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pcwiz
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character using sed

Hi, I have a file with the text below. How do i remove the character "%" from the text file using sed ? Can anybody help ? 0% 68% 72% 0% 54% 33% 75% 24% 6% 59% 77% 77% 33% (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Raynon
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem using sed in script

Hey guys, I'm looking to write a script that takes a variable line number and prints that line via sed, but I'm having an issue with the syntax. As I understand it, the sed syntax to print line number 52 (for example) is as follows: sed -n '52p' sed '52!d' sed '52q;d' But how can you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wandergeek
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed Script Problem

My file is having the contents like this AND1 (A) { non : hafe on: tc ma : nite } AND1 (B) { non : hafe1 on: tc1 ma : nite1 } AND1 (C) { non : hafe3 on: tc2 ma : nite3 } I have written a sed script to search the patterns AND1(A) and AND1 (B) and delete the entire... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shalini_008
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script problem with sed

Hello i have a shell script which will go in some folders using for loop, build some programs with gcc and zip the output. then i have to paste the file of that zip file into a yml file which will be further used by a ruby watir script. PROJECT_PATH=/uploads/$PROJECT_FOLDER zip -rq ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: vikki1986
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED removing CR/LF

I have a source text file that contains something like this: <start_template> bool function( void *<var_name> ) { // Blah Blah } </start_template> Following is used to remove this template from source file. template=$(sed -n -e '/<start_template>/,/<\/start_template>/{... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gee22
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

sftp script - problem removing files remotely

Hello all, After searching through the similar topics and not finding a working solution, I decided to join and post my question (and maybe kill time and help other users). Essentially I am trying to get a file from the sftp and then delete it after the file is pulled. all the sftp commands... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: MarcMaiden
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed or awk script problem

Hi All I am having a file as shown below File1# modyle 1 { test jsj hhsjh 13e3 jsjjs } memP(dbg_trace) { ajjs jsjs jsjs Test(claer) { jsjs (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kshitij
7 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangFam - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangFam; $lext = code2langfam('apa'); # $lext gets 'Apache languages' $code = langfam2code('Apache languages'); # $code gets 'apa' @codes = all_langfam_codes(); @names = all_langfam_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangFam" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language families, such as those as defined in ISO 639-5. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default ISO 639-5 language family codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language families. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langfam('apa','alpha'); $lext = code2langfam('apa',LOCALE_LANGFAM_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from ISO 639-5 such as 'apa' for Apache languages. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langfam2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langfam_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langfam_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langfam_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::rename_langfam_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::add_langfam_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangFam::delete_langfam_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-5/id.php ISO 639-5 . AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangFam(3pm)