Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Help with exit, grep, temporary files, awk Post 302680393 by BartleDoo on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 07:44:06 PM
Old 08-01-2012
Quote:
The exit code used to provide a simple reply to the calling script or process as to the result of executiing the script. Code zero means it worked. Other codes are chosen by the script writer.
A calling script will find that the value of the exit code is in the Environment Variable $?
So would it be better practice to end my script with exit 0 instead of just exit?

Quote:
The awk looks for any white space between fields and outputs the first field ($1).
So the $1 in the first part of that line of code ls -log "$1" is referring to the parameter of the script (in this case, a directory name), but the $1 in the second part of that line of code awk '{print $1}' is referring to the first field (in this case, the permissions), right?

Quote:
Sorry, I don't understand this command.
By using f_count=$(grep -c "-........." $TF), I was trying to say count the number of lines that start with a - (which would signify a file, as opposed to a d, for directory, of course) and are followed by any variation of rwx permissions (this is why I tried using the "dot" wildcard . nine times). Should I have instead written f_count=$(grep -c "-.*" $TF)? My thinking is still probably wrong...

Quote:
f_count=$(grep -c \^\- $TF)
Could you please explain what the \^\- does?

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Ubuntu

Avoid creating temporary files on editing a file in Ubuntu

Hi, My ubuntu flavor always create temporary files having filename followed by ~ on editing. For eg: if I am editing a file called "sip.c", automatically a temporary (bkup) file is getting created with the name "sip.c~". How to avoid this file creation? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Temporary files and rm

Hello everyone, I am creating a temporary file in my ksh by using something file filetemp=filetemp.$$ Later on in my script I write to the file $filetemp by 'cat'ing to it. Then in the script I am doing a 'less' on the file to view it. At the end of the script I issue a rm $filetemp 2>... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gio001
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Writing files without temporary files

Hey Guys, I was wondering if someone would give me a hand with an issue I'm having, let me explain the situation: I have a file that is constantly being written to and read from with updated lines: # cat activity.file activity1 activity2 activity3 activity4 activity5 This file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashshadow1979
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - Bug: A script to compile two types of data files into two temporary files

Dear other forum members, I'm writing a script for my homework, but I'm scratching all over my head and still can't figure out what I did wrong. Please help me. I just started to learn about bash scripting, and I appreciate if anyone of you can point out my errors. I thank you in advance. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ilove2smoke
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Rsync temporary files

Hi, I am looking to use rsync in a very specific way, and even though I have trawled the rsync man pages I have not succeeded in seeing a way of doing the following: The temporary files created by rsync should not be created in the destination directory. (I have used --temp-dir option to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: LostInTheWoods
0 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Which time should be used for deleting temporary files?

I want to create a folder for users to put their temporary files and a folder for users to put their permanent files. For the temporary folder, I need to implement a deletion policy. I would like to know normally which time, ctime, mtime or atime, should be used to implement such deletion policy. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: marctc
1 Replies

7. AIX

Hidden temporary files in AIX

Hi, Some porocess is creating hidden temporary files in /tmp directory. And they are not getting deleted. System is going out of disk space after some days. The temp files are getting created like .<user name><pid>. I have checked the application code, but didnt get any clue. Does these files... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: viswath.sen
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep, zegrep, zfgrep -- print lines matching a pattern in gzip-compressed files SYNOPSIS
zgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [files ...] zegrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] zfgrep [grep-flags] [--] pattern [file ...] DESCRIPTION
zgrep runs grep(1) on files or stdin, if no files argument is given, after decompressing them with zcat(1). The grep-flags and pattern arguments are passed on to grep(1). If an -e flag is found in the grep-flags, zgrep will not look for a pattern argument. zegrep calls egrep(1), while zfgrep calls fgrep(1). EXIT STATUS
In case of missing arguments or missing pattern, 1 will be returned, otherwise 0. SEE ALSO
egrep(1), fgrep(1), grep(1), gzip(1), zcat(1) AUTHORS
Thomas Klausner <wiz@NetBSD.org> BSD
December 28, 2003 BSD