Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Simplifying sed/tr
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Simplifying sed/tr Post 302680267 by vshan on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 02:53:20 PM
Old 08-01-2012
Simplifying sed/tr

Hi all, I don't have much experience with shell scripting and I was wondering if there's a shorter way to write this.

Basically, given a list of strings separated by new lines, I want to prepend each string with a prefix and separate the strings with commas
i.e.
Code:
stra
strb
strc

becomes
Code:
prefix:stra,prefix:strb,prefix:strc

The command I'm currently using is:
Code:
cat input | sed 's/^/'text:'/' | tr '\n' ',' | sed 's/,$//g'

This seems a little wordy though for something this simple. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-01-2012 at 04:51 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in simplifying a sed command

I need to do a substitution: CPF to ,C,P,F, CPM to ,C,P,M, SPF to ,S,P,F etc. I can do each of them with separate substitutions e.g. s/CPF/,C,P,F/ but I'd like to know if there is a more elegant solution. In general, how can I use the results of the search in the substitution, ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: wvdeijk
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying the For loop

Is there a way to simplify stating 1 through to 10, for example in a for loop construct? for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 do .... done I have tried (1-10) with no luck.. thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

simplifying awk

tcpdump -nr testdump|awk '!/:/;gsub(/^+|+$/,""){print $3};a!~$0;{a=$0};{print $3};!/length/;/./;!/11\:/;!/8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1/;!/UDP/{b=$0} END {for (j=i-1; j>=0; ) print b };{for (i=NF; i>0; i--) printf("%s ",i);printf ("\n")}' *NOTE IN j>=0 the ; ) was given a space since a smiley is showing up...... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sil
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Simplifying my script

Hi, Is there a way to simplify the below script? Because I am having problems executing this if I added this to CRON. Also, you may notice that its objective is to put all information in one file (rm1.txt). And in addition file "sRMR_6.txt" to sRMR_23.txt" changes its information everyday.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibora
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simplifying IPv6 addresses from user input

hi friends, im new to scripting and am tiring out to valid an ip address if user inputs 9 : 003 : 0 : 0 : 100 : 256 ,i need to suppress all leading zeros and single zero ie out put for the same should be 9 : 3 : : : 100 : 256 can any help using awk ,regular expression to split the string... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sandeepjeede
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help simplifying an if statement

the code below is a small fragment of the actual line, in fact i have about 20 values i'm comparing and want to know if it can be simplified. other than the x.xx.xx format of the value they have nothing in common if || || ; then do this else do this fiany suggestions? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
6 Replies

7. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Simplifying awk/sed short pipeline

I have a file like this: FileName,Well,Sample Description,Size ,Calibrated Conc. ,Assigned Conc. ,Peak Molarity ,Area,% Integrated Area,Peak Comment,Observations 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic Ladder,25,5.22,,321,0.803,,,Lower Marker 2017-11-15 - 13.49.50.D1000,EL1,Electronic... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Xterra
6 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.16.3 2013-02-27 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3)