Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Blocked process and preempt
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users Blocked process and preempt Post 302680043 by sant on Wednesday 1st of August 2012 06:31:16 AM
Old 08-01-2012
Blocked process and preempt

Hello Everyone,

There is a column kthr:b in vmstat. How a process become blocked?
If the process calls system call pread and sleeps inside it, is the process blocked in that moment?
How a process sleeping because it has no work at all (as Notepad when we are not using it) differs from a process which is sleeping because is waiting for I/O request?

Thanks

p.s.
I have written "and preempt" in the subject because wanted to ask about it, but now please ignore this part. I do not have an option to modify subject.

Last edited by sant; 08-01-2012 at 08:24 AM..

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

BitTorrent port 6969 blocked... how to get around the blocked port

Due to the massive Upload speeds killing .... or overstressing our schools network...... my school has blocked port 6969 (the most common BitTorrent port). So I cant connect to the tracker anymore, in other words no more downloading from school :( Does anyone know how I can get around the ports... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: PenguinDevil
1 Replies

2. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

IP Blocked

When I try to view these forums from work, I get a message that my IP has been blocked. Please advise as to how to fix this situation. My IP at work comes from the following class B network: 128.226.X.X (Binghamton University) Thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: debcav
1 Replies

3. IP Networking

Blocked ports

I have installed a network camera in my home which i would like to watch when i am in my office.The problem is that the specific port that is used from my camera to pass video is blocked by my isp(as most ports for incoming connections). It is not possible to change that port from my camera... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: link7722
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Date on which a user is blocked

I work on AIX 5.3 and need to know if is possible to know the date on which a user is blocked. Thank you. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmr88
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing blocked text

I do have a flat text file that are divided into blocks. Each block is demimited by '='. I would like to parse certain numbers and letters. This is the format of the file I have. It has thousands of such blocks >A B 1, 100 TTTT 100 95 >C D 1, 95 GHJKL = >A B 1, 72 GHUJKLO 72 84 >C D... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kanja
3 Replies

6. Solaris

How to find blocked process in vmstat?

Hi, How to find which processes are blocked? b column in vmstat shows higher values some times(approximately 30 min) bash-3.2# vmstat 1 10 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr m1 m1 m1 m2 in sy cs us... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshsun
3 Replies
CAFFEINATE(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					     CAFFEINATE(8)

NAME
caffeinate -- prevent the system from sleeping on behalf of a utility SYNOPSIS
caffeinate [-disu] [-t timeout] [-w pid] [utility arguments...] DESCRIPTION
caffeinate creates assertions to alter system sleep behavior. If no assertion flags are specified, caffeinate creates an assertion to pre- vent idle sleep. If a utility is specified, caffeinate creates the assertions on the utility's behalf, and those assertions will persist for the duration of the utility's execution. Otherwise, caffeinate creates the assertions directly, and those assertions will persist until caffeinate exits. Available options: -d Create an assertion to prevent the display from sleeping. -i Create an assertion to prevent the system from idle sleeping. -m Create an assertion to prevent the disk from idle sleeping. -s Create an assertion to prevent the system from sleeping. This assertion is valid only when system is running on AC power. -u Create an assertion to declare that user is active. If the display is off, this option turns the display on and prevents the display from going into idle sleep. If a timeout is not specified with '-t' option, then this assertion is taken with a default of 5 second timeout. -t Specifies the timeout value in seconds for which this assertion has to be valid. The assertion is dropped after the specified time- out. Timeout value is not used when an utility is invoked with this command. -w Waits for the process with the specified pid to exit. Once the the process exits, the assertion is also released. This option is ignored when used with utility option. EXAMPLE
caffeinate -i make caffeinate forks a process, execs "make" in it, and holds an assertion that prevents idle sleep as long as that process is running. SEE ALSO
pmset(1) LOCATION
/usr/bin/caffeinate Darwin November 9, 2012 Darwin