Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dual boot RHEL5 and RHEL6
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat dual boot RHEL5 and RHEL6 Post 302679719 by ppchu99 on Tuesday 31st of July 2012 01:39:07 PM
Old 07-31-2012
Bug dual boot RHEL5 and RHEL6

have a server pre-installed with RHEL5, with 12 SCSI disks being /dev/sda with RHEL5, and managed to put RHEL6 into /dev/sdc

/dev/sda is the first bootable disk on the SCSI chain..

editing /etc/grub.conf would not allow me to boot RHEL6 , the entries seem to be right..

any advices, other than going into the SCSI bios and make /dev/sdc is the first bootable SCSI disk ..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Dual Boot help...

Hi there! I have a laptop which I plan on installing a dual boot on with Windows and Linux. I have Windows 98 installed at the moment, and I also have a copy of Slackware 8. I talked to friend, and he said he had some problems installing a dual boot with linux on his laptop... So I just came... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: satan404
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Dual Boot on HP-UX

Hy all Does anyone have Info on how to make a dual boot HP UX 10-20 HP UX 11 on a server ? Thanks in advance Olivier (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Olivier
3 Replies

3. BSD

dual boot

I have recently installed free bsd on my windows xp laptop so that now it is a dual boot system. It worked fine for the first couple of days, but now whenever I try to boot into windows it hangs, giving the message WINDOWS\System32\DRIVERS\agp440.sys, bsd however, loads fine. I was wondering either... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elfhat
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Solaris-RHEL5 Dual boot issue

Machine: x86 OS : Dualboot Solaris and RHEL5 -Solaris 10 in first fdisk partition. RHEL5 - /boot in partition2 / in partition3 swap in 1st... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saagar
1 Replies

5. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Dual boot

Hi, I am having 1 TB hard disk and in that I have to install windows,linux 64 bit and linux 32 bit total 3 operating systems I need to install, how could I do that please help. I am having 64 bit machine h/w Thanks, Trimurtulu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ktrimu
5 Replies

6. Ubuntu

Do you dual-boot with other os

When I first started using Linux (Ubuntu) I decided to just do a full install. The PC I installed it on, was full of viruses and to be honest, I was never good handling them. So, I decided to just go for it and install. Anyways I got another computer recently, a much newer one and I decided to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
3 Replies

7. Red Hat

Problems with DHCP_HOSTNAME for RHEL5 and RHEL6

Hi folks, I have a weird problem. I'm doing guest customization for Linux guests. During this process, I change the hostname, etc. For changing the hostname, I edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file and change the HOSTNAME field. I also add a new property called DHCP_HOSTNAME as my IP's are all... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: umar.shaikh
5 Replies

8. Red Hat

RHEL6 Diskless Remote boot fail

Hi guys, I've been trying to set up a server for disk-less booting of remote machines on a network. The server host OS is RHEL6 and I have configured dhcp, tftp and nfs services which are proven to be working since I am able to install RHEL6 through pxe boot. Now I want it to serve for disk-less... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: aninmuk
0 Replies

9. Linux

Problem in displaying message on RHEL6 on EFI during PXE boot

Hi, I am doing PXE boot for RHEL6.4 on EFI and want to display custom messsage before loading vmlinuz and initrd.img, which is not working. boot server side (In case of BIOS client): In /var/lib/tftpboot/default file I am putting the message in below format: SAY hello world boot... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: indus123
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Prod runs RHEL6 but pprod uses RHEL5??

Hi, I am currently building out a new production environment. Our current prod env uses RHEL5.8 but I am thinking of building out a RHEL6 environment since a complete end-to-end testing will need to take place prior to go-live anyway. Plus it is an ideal time to upgrade the OS across the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Duffs22
4 Replies
GRUB-SETUP(8)						  System Administration Utilities					     GRUB-SETUP(8)

NAME
grub-setup - set up a device to boot using GRUB SYNOPSIS
grub-setup [OPTION...] DEVICE DESCRIPTION
Set up images to boot from DEVICE. You should not normally run this program directly. Use grub-install instead. -a, --allow-floppy Make the drive also bootable as floppy (default for fdX devices). May break on some BIOSes. -b, --boot-image=FILE Use FILE as the boot image [default=boot.img] -c, --core-image=FILE Use FILE as the core image [default=core.img] -d, --directory=DIR Use GRUB files in the directory DIR [default=/boot/grub] -f, --force Install even if problems are detected -m, --device-map=FILE Use FILE as the device map [default=/boot/grub/device.map] -r, --root-device=DEV Use DEV as the root device [default=guessed] -s, --skip-fs-probe Do not probe for filesystems in DEVICE -v, --verbose Print verbose messages. -?, --help give this help list --usage give a short usage message -V, --version print program version Mandatory or optional arguments to long options are also mandatory or optional for any corresponding short options. DEVICE must be an OS device (e.g. /dev/sda). REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-grub@gnu.org>. SEE ALSO
grub-install(8), grub-mkimage(1), grub-mkrescue(1) The full documentation for grub-setup is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and grub-setup programs are properly installed at your site, the command info grub-setup should give you access to the complete manual. grub-setup (GRUB) 1.99-12ubuntu5 October 2011 GRUB-SETUP(8)