Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Script only runs as a particular user Post 302679449 by Jaymoney on Tuesday 31st of July 2012 03:30:44 AM
Old 07-31-2012
Script only runs as a particular user

Hi guys

So I've got this PERL script that for one reason or another I need to run as a user other than the user that created the script.
When I su - to another user the script won't run and doesn't give me any output as to why. No permission denied or anything like that.
I've chmod 777'd the script but still no joy. What am I missing?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What user runs cron?

I have a command that is found in /usr/ud51/bin called stopudt which safely stops idle database users (let's writes finish, etc). If I login as root and issue stopudt the process is stopped. I put a script in cron to run it and it says stopudt not found. /usr/ud51/bin is in root's PATH. ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: michieka
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

My script runs too slow :-(...

Hello experts, I have a series issue in script that result with bad peformence and I wonder if you can assist me. For example I have two files: File-New, size 15Mb. File-Old, size 1Mb. File-New content: a b c k File-Old content: d f a b (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: roybe
0 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell Script: want to insert values in database when update script runs

Hi , I am new to linux and also also to shell scripting. I have one shell script which unpacks .tgz file and install software on machine. When this script runs I want to insert id,filename,description(which will be in readme file),log(which will be in log file) and name of unpacked folder... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ring
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Sunsolaris shell script runs only as super user

Hi Friends, I am new to Sun solaris unix.I am facing problem while runing my kornshell script just as an ordinary user.The script works fine while i am working as a super user.the script just uses awk to check the first charcter of a file and then copies the file to another folder. Do i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjithin
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script which runs sql script

Hi all, I need a shell script which runs a sql script but I couldn't find how to finish it. This is the code that I have: #! /usr/bin/ksh export SHELL=/bin/ksh export ORACLE_SID=database export ORACLE_HOME=/opt/oracle/product/9.2.0.8 sqlplus user <<EOF @/path/path/path/scriptname.sql... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Geller
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run a bash script that logs on as a non-root user and runs script as root

So I have a script that runs as a non-root user, lets say the username is 'xymon' . This script needs to log on to a remote system as a non-root user also and call up a bash script that runs another bash script as root. in short: user xymon on system A needs to run a file as root user and have... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: damang111
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[SOLVED] Only half my script runs

Hello out there, I got this script that runs partly fine by my crontab. Problem is it gets to the sleep 300(which should be 5 minutes right?) part and never runs the rest of the scripts past that. All individual scripts run just fine. My var/mail file only shows it up to the " echo "Loader Stop... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsekvsek
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script runs manually, but not from cron

Hi, I "borrowed" a script I found online, to start a SAP router application on a Solaris 11 (SPARC) server. The script runs fine when calling it manually, but when I schedule it to run from cron, it doesn't. I don't see any warning or failure messages anywhere, just nothing happens. ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: bredman
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Script only runs first time through crontab

Hello, I am trying to run a script through crontab and it runs the first time and then it does not run. I tried to run a simple script (as shown below) and I see the same issue. #!/bin/ksh clear echo "Good Morning, World." > /tmp/test123 Crontab Entry: 30 09 * * *... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: hasn318
9 Replies
gretl(1)							   econometrics 							  gretl(1)

NAME
gretl - GNU Regression, Econometrics and Time-series Library SYNOPSIS
gretl [ options ] [ datafile | scriptfile | sessionfile ] DESCRIPTION
gretl is an econometrics package, built around a shared library which may be accessed using a command-line client program (gretlcli) or a graphical user interface (gretl_x11). The program gretl is a wrapper script that calls the GUI if the DISPLAY environment variable is set, otherwise the command-line client. For details, please start up either the GUI or the command-line client and consult the online help, or read the printed manual, which is available in PDF format via the gretl website, http://gretl.sourceforge.net. OPTIONS
These are the options supported by the gretl_x11 program; gretlcli is a little different. -r script, --run script Open a script. -c, --dump Dump the configuration file. -d database, --db database Open a local database. -e, --english Force use of English. -r script, --run script Open a script. -w database, --webdb database Open a remote database. -h, --help Give help information and exit. -v, --version Give version information and exit. FILES
~/.gretl2rc per-user configuration file ~/.gretl directory for user runtime files ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
HOME Specifies the user's home directory DISPLAY Specifies the X window display to use SEE ALSO
gretlcli(1) AUTHOR
The gretl team The gretl team 1.9.5 gretl(1)